Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2014, 12:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Is touchscreen a better "button" customisation option

NB: I posted this here because I think touchscreen is more of a mirrorless rather than DSLR feature, though some companies already have existing touchscreen DSLRs.

In the past few years, touchscreen has been a major change especially in the smaller-sized mirrorless cameras. Though I'm one of the users who prefer tactile button and dials, it's hard to reject that touchscreen (i.e. screen as the main control interface) has more customisation space. For example, a future camera can have virtual shortcut buttons (much like your desktop icons) with specific function. A user can also adjust the virtual "button" size for ergonomic. Whereas a button customisation design is limited by the number of Fn buttons you can put on a body (some of which in quite awkward position).

What do you think? If you agree, do you think Pentax has the potential to develop a very customisable touchscreen mirrorless?

05-30-2014, 01:15 AM   #2

I have a Canon G12 (compact) and Pentax K5. I absolutely love the Canon as its small and produces excellent photos. BUT.... the lack of 'real estate' on the Canon means many of the controls are convoluted to use or require access to the menu system. I can adjust almost anything on the K5 without even looking from the viewfinder. So I can only imagine everything being on touchscreen will be the worst of all worlds. I think this is a benefit of SLRs that is often forgotten.

Last edited by Richard Briggs; 05-30-2014 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Updated
05-30-2014, 01:30 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Briggs Quote
I have a Canon G12 (compact) and Pentax K5. I absolutely love the Canon as its small and produces excellent photos. BUT.... the lack of 'real estate' on the Canon means many of the controls are convoluted to use or require access to the menu system. I can adjust almost anything on the K5 without even looking from the viewfinder. So I can only imagine everything being on touchscreen will be the worst of all worlds. I think this is a benefit of SLRs that is often forgotten.
What about cameras that are designed not to have a viewfinder? Like compact mirrorless?