Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does anyone remember the Concord Eye-Q camera

This diminutive camera debuted in 2001, and only was a 640x480 camera. But it had one thing going for it -- it was extremely small. It got away with this by ONLY having an EVF. No LCD. Granted it's not interchangeable, but why did this concept die? I would love to have a small point and shoot with just an EVF. Should get good battery life, I won't have to worry about scratching the LCD, and I get to use a viewfinder on a compact P&S. It might even be a concept to bring over to the Q line.

Thoughts?

Charles.

---------- Post added 06-12-2014 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote

This diminutive camera debuted in 2001, and only was a 640x480 camera. But it had one thing going for it -- it was extremely small. It got away with this by ONLY having an EVF. No LCD. Granted it's not interchangeable, but why did this concept die? I would love to have a small point and shoot with just an EVF. Should get good battery life, I won't have to worry about scratching the LCD, and I get to use a viewfinder on a compact P&S. It might even be a concept to bring over to the Q line.

Thoughts?

Charles.
Actually, after reading more about this camera, it's an SLR. It has an optical viewfinder and a mirror that switches over to take a photo and review your shot on the tiny internal LCD. I actually owned one of these, but it's hard to remember anything about a camera I had more than a decade ago. I just remembered it was very fun to use, even if the resolution sucked.

Charles.

06-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
interesting concept.... the Q with only EVF would be very enticing indeed...especially if they could rip on Sony's pop up EVF in the latest RX100mk3
06-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think most of these small concept cameras were pretty thoroughly killed by cameraphones. For better or worse - though certainly the cameras in phones are getting pretty good, and always in the pocket.

I don't remember this one, which is certainly more sophisticated than the small digital camera I had. Though the one I bought after that one, a Sony P50, was really quite good, and still works well. It even had a decent OFV. It is much bigger than the Eye-Q.
07-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #4

Wow you just brought back some memory's. I remember seeing that camera in a shop and really wanting it. Ended up buying a bulky Fuji.