Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2014, 06:01 AM   #1

Focal lens length between Q & Q7

Apologies if this has already been discussed, had a look but couldn't see anything.

Just wanted to ask, has anybody taken any lens comparison shots between the Q/Q10 and the Q7.
especially using the 01, 02, 03 & 06.

I know the focal length changes and for me for the better, but what I really wanted to know is can they focus any closer with the lenses as now they are now wider (cant remember if lenses can or not). Also is the 03 image quality any better even though it's being cropped on the 07?

Cheers,
Dan

07-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #2

The focal length doesn't change. It's one of the common misconceptions about different sensor sizes. The lens always makes the same picture. All that differs is how much of it winds up on the sensor. Therefore, the minimum focus distance doesn't change. Neither does the reproduction ratio.

What does change is the picture on the sensor. If a sensor is larger, it will record a larger image => wider angles as long as the lens supports it.
07-21-2014, 01:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
The focal length doesn't change. It's one of the common misconceptions about different sensor sizes. The lens always makes the same picture. All that differs is how much of it winds up on the sensor. Therefore, the minimum focus distance doesn't change. Neither does the reproduction ratio.

What does change is the picture on the sensor. If a sensor is larger, it will record a larger image => wider angles as long as the lens supports it.
Thanks for clearing that up topace, Always nice to learn new things
07-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q7 crops less than the Q/Q10, so every lens gives a wider field of view on the former than the latter. As Dan has said, focal length, and minimum focal distance, are unchanged.

I have both the Q and the Q7, and can certainly vouch that the 01, 02, 03 and 06 lenses work just fine on the bigger sensor of the Q7. With the 02, the angle of view is sufficiently wider on the Q7 that you need to remove the hood at 5mm to avoid the corners being cut off. There is apparently a newer petal hood design to avoid this, but I haven't looked into buying one.

07-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The Q7 crops less than the Q/Q10, so every lens gives a wider field of view on the former than the latter. As Dan has said, focal length, and minimum focal distance, are unchanged.

I have both the Q and the Q7, and can certainly vouch that the 01, 02, 03 and 06 lenses work just fine on the bigger sensor of the Q7. With the 02, the angle of view is sufficiently wider on the Q7 that you need to remove the hood at 5mm to avoid the corners being cut off. There is apparently a newer petal hood design to avoid this, but I haven't looked into buying one.
Thanks for the warning about the Lens hood! that's frustrating considering how much I paid for it!

Can I ask does the quality of the images from the 03 look better on the Q7?
07-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
Thanks for the warning about the Lens hood! that's frustrating considering how much I paid for it!

Can I ask does the quality of the images from the 03 look better on the Q7?
Maybe a little bit. See this post https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/227557-share-your-shots-03-f...ml#post2532558
07-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Wow very interesting, It's amazing how much view is lost. ill have to try to cover the contact as well.........and buy a Q7....
Thanks for sharing.
07-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

You do not have to cover the contacts. I depends on the raw processor. Most do do the distortion correction or cropping but at least Picasa viewer does not. I just checked Photo Ninja and it also gives you the uncropped view. I am sure this can be set with others as well.