Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a case for the Q7?

I have been trying to make a case for the Q7, not a case to carry it, that is, but seeing if there is a case to be made to buy it over the MX-1. When I think about comparing the two, I keep running into the same obstacle. That is, lens speed.

Among other cameras, I have a MX-1. It has the same sensor as the Q7. The Q7 is more functional and flexible, but one of the things that makes the MX-1 so special is the fast, sharp lens. It allows you to keep the ISO low and maximize image quality. Without a fast lens, you'd have to bump up the ISO and feel the limitations of a small sensor much more. Unless I'm mistaken, the Q's lenses, outside of the primes, are much slower. So, I really don't know if the added flexibility and functionality make up for the slower lenses that force higher ISOs on a small sensor camera.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

08-18-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The mx1 has a stellar lens, no doubt about that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

No the MX-1 has been optimized to work with that one lens.

The Q7 advantage is flexibility.

If you are happy with the included lens of the MX-1 why switch?

If you want to try your hand at adapting other lenses to the sensor then you have a case.
08-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I get the flexibility, but it seems to me that you'll lose image quality in many situations as you'll have to bump up the ISO higher than you would with a MX-1.

08-18-2014, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I get the flexibility, but it seems to me that you'll lose image quality in many situations as you'll have to bump up the ISO higher than you would with a MX-1.
Yes you are right but again it depends on the situation. I try to use base ISO as much as possible for IQ qualities as well.
The Q7 sensor does allow a bit more leeway in ISO range than the Q ever did.

Also, a lot of the stuff I do with adapted long lenses requires a solid support, so I can get away with lower shutter speeds to compensate for keeping the ISO down.

For example this hummingbird sitting in the shade required a 1/30 sec exposure at ISO200 with a f5.6 aperture using a DA*300.
SR was not used since 2 sec delay was on. Equivalent focal length is around 1300-1400mm.

08-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think there's a case if you want to adapt lens, or use the 06. Otherwise MX-1 is certainly more sound.
08-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Or if you like shooting at 40mm; the 01 is a very nice little lens, and faster than I imaging the MX-1 is at 40mm.
08-19-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter

My reasons to hang on to my Q and to think about getting a Q7 or S1 are pretty much the 01 prime and the 03 fish-eye. The standard zoom isn't bad, but if this was the only lens I used I would probably replace the Q with a compact, which could do the same in a smaller package and possibly even better IQ.

One reason I'm currently holding back on any purchases (I've been thinking about getting a Ricoh GR or Sigma DP2M) is that I'd like to see at least a quality wide angle prime for the Q. If something like that shows up at Photokina I'll upgrade my Q, otherwise I might get one of the prime compacts, but I will not sell my original Q.

08-19-2014, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

It's an affordable super zoom adapter (a new Q body is $109.00 at Amazon).

Want a super compact 230mm or 280mm f1.4 telephoto lens? Get an original Q or Q7, this, and this.

Or you could just buy a SMC FA 250mm f1.4 Limited or SMC FA 300mm f1.4 Limited lens....

oh, wait...

that's right.

Unicorns!!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 08-19-2014 at 12:51 AM.
08-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, if you want specialized shooting, the Q7 is more attractive, given that you can use adapaters and turn a 50mm or longer lens into a super telephoto with an adapter.

But, for everyday shooting, I still don't see the case for it vs. the MX-1 (although it looks like lots of fun), which has a fast, sharp lens, which covers a decent, but not great range, but permits you to shoot at lower ISOs, thereby maximizing image quality.
08-19-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
So, if you want specialized shooting, the Q7 is more attractive, given that you can use adapaters and turn a 50mm or longer lens into a super telephoto with an adapter.

But, for everyday shooting, I still don't see the case for it vs. the MX-1 (although it looks like lots of fun), which has a fast, sharp lens, which covers a decent, but not great range, but permits you to shoot at lower ISOs, thereby maximizing image quality.
OK. Case: closed.
11-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While nice, the MX1 is a dead end camera. It won't do any more than it did the day it was bought. All PnS are that way. It is likely a dead end camera model. Doubt Pentax will make a replacement.

The Q system is alive. Constantly upgrading and improving. Besides flexability, it allows updating of the weakest link. When Q7 arrived, we had choice of a better sensor. When a better lens is introduced we can upgrade. The Q is alive and evolving to a higher state. The MX1 is...dead. Few will even remember what it is in 5 years. It is also a poorly named camera. The original MX is well remembered.
thanks
barondla

The Q is powerful.
11-21-2014, 03:06 AM   #13

I have a Q7 and my fiancée has an MX-1.

Both are very good cameras, but which is the best choice depends on what kind of photographer you are.

I would describe the Q series as best for enthusiasts and experimenters. There are some great lens choices - many of my favourite shots are with the 03 fisheye, for example. I've got some really nice shots from a 25mm 1.4 CCTV lens adapted onto the Q (and still fitting in a jacket pocket).
11-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
I have a Q7 and my fiancée has an MX-1.

Both are very good cameras, but which is the best choice depends on what kind of photographer you are.

I would describe the Q series as best for enthusiasts and experimenters. There are some great lens choices - many of my favourite shots are with the 03 fisheye, for example. I've got some really nice shots from a 25mm 1.4 CCTV lens adapted onto the Q (and still fitting in a jacket pocket).
What kind of adapter allows you to use the CCTV lens?
11-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What kind of adapter allows you to use the CCTV lens?
It's a C mount lens. You can pick up plastic C mount to Q adapters on eBay for just a few eurodollarpounds.

The lens itself is the same as this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mount-Camera-Adapter-Panasonic-Olympus/dp/B008H3XXEM...4+lens+c+mount
Cheap, but the image quality isn't as bad as you expect and it has plenty of character - sometimes you get some gems. This was taken with it back when I was using the Q10:

Charlotte Campbell Busking
by Neil Gratton, on Flickr