Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What will you do?
Buy the K-S1 within the first 90 days, keep the beloved K-01 11.52%
Buy the K-S1 within the first 90 days, sell/bequeath the K-01 23.03%
Ignore the K-S1 4365.15%
Probably buy the K-S1 at some point in the future, keep the K-01 1522.73%
Probably buy the K-S1 at some point in the future, sell/bequeath the K-01 34.55%
Migrate to a different brand 23.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Everything else I've tried is just too small and light for me to effectively control. For snapshots I just go all the way and use a Q7. I really, truly do not understand the cargo cult fetishism about mirrorless.
It's all relative. I've heard many people praise Pentax for making compact DSLRs, as compared with Canikon. That may be true, but... I just recently got a K-5 II here. It's substantially bigger than my K-01. It's bigger and much heavier than my Pentax ZX-5n. It's bigger than my Ricoh XR-7. It's way bigger than my Olympus OM-D E-M5 (which I'd actually prefer to be a little bigger, but not everyone has hands as big as mine). Basically if you're familiar with anything that's not a modern DSLR, the K-5 II seems like a boat anchor.

Also, I've got to say the tilt screen and EVF on the Olympus are very nice to work with. The pentaprism OVF also has its not-entirely-logical cult following, that seems to prevent some people from perceiving the advantages of an EVF. EVFs are only getting better, and the one in my E-M5 is already outdated. Prisms are not getting better. It's not hard to see which way the technology is leading.

---------- Post added 11-03-14 at 07:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
All of the other analog mechanical linkages between the body and lenses - aperture control, screw drive, A-series lens parameter coding - and a big empty box of air where the mirror used to be. If the analog viewfinder makes DLSRs dinosaurs, why not the other decades-old analog technology?
I understand your argument here, and I think most of the other camera makers that have gone to their own all-new mirrorless lens mounts did the right thing -- for them. Pentax has several factors that tilt the balance in a different direction, IMHO.

Unlike Olympus or Fujifilm or Samsung or Sony, Pentax has a strong, established line of DSLRs and lenses to support, and I'm sure they expect to continue making DSLRs well into the future. They can't casually scrap K-mount and replace it with a mirrorless counterpart. It would have to be in addition to K-mount. However, Pentax is already supporting Q, K and 645 mounts. That covers a lot of territory, from the very small to the very big, and it requires a lot of resources. Adding a fourth standard to the lineup would be quite a stretch.

And of course, Pentax already does have a fully modern mirrorless lens system, which is the Q. Even though people gripe about the small sensor, there's still a lot of sensor R&D in the works, and future generations of Q cameras will only become more and more capable. Pentax is ahead of the curve in this respect.

11-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here. As long as I can continue to use a traditional dSLR I'm OK with others using a MILC. Each is suited to its tasks and users.

My issue is when people insist I'm wrong.
11-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I can't prove this without becoming Japanese and getting a job at Ricoh, but I suspect that the code for FluCard support took up enough storage to squeeze out the other features. IIRC, the K-01 has a main circuit board about the size of a point-n-shoot's, with a smaller daughter card that the SD card reader is on. The K-S1 appears to have an even smaller bay for electronics, making real estate on the circuit board more expensive, and more firmware storage may not have been practical.
Hmmm, that would be the code for flucard as well as for AA filter simulation and updated SR, I guess. Still, it seems like a stretch to think that any modern electronics manufacturer might be limited by available flash storage space for their firmware. Storage is really cheap these days, and I would think you should be able to source a part with the same physical size and twice the capacity as what you put on your two or three year-old technology. I suppose it's not impossible that space is the reason, but I think it's more likely that it's the fault of the same (annoying) development or marketing manager who decided the K-01 would have 1-fps raw and no astrotracing. Some other people say the K-S1 is an entry-level camera, but it's also described as midrange... That it winds up missing many features present in even the previous entry-level camera, the K-500, seems like quite a letdown to me. BTW, with its continuing decrease in price (sub $900 for the body now), I am starting to wonder if the K-3 is not being progressively moved into the "K-50 successor" slot, to make way for a new top-end model...
11-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
BTW, with its continuing decrease in price (sub $900 for the body now), I am starting to wonder if the K-3 is not being progressively moved into the "K-50 successor" slot, to make way for a new top-end model...
K-3 is the APSc flagship. It likely won't be replaced for another year. Prices of digital cameras always decline over time as costs have been recovered, the initial rush to get something new has been exhausted and the newest competitor models are released at lower initial prices.

11-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-3 is the APSc flagship.
Sure, but with the K-50 at $400, the K-5 IIs at $600, the K-S1 at $650 and the K-3 now at $900, it just seems like there's much more room to introduce bodies in the $1250-2500 range than in the $400-1000 range. That doesn't have to change the fact that the K-3 would remain the APS-C flagship. It would just mean that rather than producing a sealed body with features between the K-3 and the K-50, Pentax could be making room for K-mount bodies that are more expensive than the K-3 and concentrating engineering resource on that.
11-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Pentax could be making room for K-mount bodies that are more expensive than the K-3 and concentrating engineering resource on that.
Uhmmm, yeah.
01-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #52

great

01-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It also depends upon how fast your subjects will be moving whether you need a new DSLR. The CD only AF technology in the K01 was very limiting for me. There is just too much shutter button delay indoors to catch dancing, which is a lot of my work. I personally like the concept of the K01, and I wish the KS1 were its successor.
01-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
So, fellow K-01 enthusiasts. Let us assume that the impending K-S1 turns out to be a fine & capable entry-level DSLR. What will you do?
Ignore the K-S1. I have both the k-01 and the Q7. Love them both. I'm more interested in the successor to the K3. My K7 needs replacing. Once that is done I won't need a new camera for several years. Hopefully back to the good old days when my MX served me faithfully for over 20 years. Yes. I know. I'm dreaming.
02-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Nothing? The real beauty of the K-01 is its slick shutter. No mirrors or prisms bouncing around in there. I haven't seen any problems with the K-3, but the K-5 definitely had mirror induced blur at certain shutter speeds, and the K-7 had tons of it.

I've recently been messing around with a cheap Nex-3, and while some things like the flip screen are great, other things aren't so great. The shutter is. . .weird and the lack of shake reduction really limits its utility, while the software interface is a total ergonomic nightmare.
I am agree with your estimation of the NEX-3. I have one. In addition, It have a good feature, it provides live view output to external HDMI output. It gives possibility to get precise focusing for manual lenses.

Both cameras do not provide sound signaling during manual focusing. I think it could be better if manual focusing would be done by sound with changing frequency of clicks.

And I suppose both cameras are needed an optical viewfinder like hp 735 photosmart just for framing in sunny day.