Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: What will you do?
Buy the K-S1 within the first 90 days, keep the beloved K-01 11.52%
Buy the K-S1 within the first 90 days, sell/bequeath the K-01 23.03%
Ignore the K-S1 4365.15%
Probably buy the K-S1 at some point in the future, keep the K-01 1522.73%
Probably buy the K-S1 at some point in the future, sell/bequeath the K-01 34.55%
Migrate to a different brand 23.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
You own the K-01. Soon the K-S1 will launch...

So, fellow K-01 enthusiasts. Let us assume that the impending K-S1 turns out to be a fine & capable entry-level DSLR. What will you do?

08-22-2014, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,159
I'll keep using my K-5 and K-5 IIs when I want a DSLR.
08-22-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,873
It is expected that whenever new models come out, it would always be better and cheaper, that is the nature of technology; don't think that I need more entry level cameras.
08-22-2014, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
Nothing? The real beauty of the K-01 is its slick shutter. No mirrors or prisms bouncing around in there. I haven't seen any problems with the K-3, but the K-5 definitely had mirror induced blur at certain shutter speeds, and the K-7 had tons of it.

I've recently been messing around with a cheap Nex-3, and while some things like the flip screen are great, other things aren't so great. The shutter is. . .weird and the lack of shake reduction really limits its utility, while the software interface is a total ergonomic nightmare.

08-22-2014, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,502
There wasn't a choice for --

Appreciate the K-S1 for what it is.

Continue to use my K-01 and K-3 and buy lenses.
08-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Nothing? The real beauty of the K-01 is its slick shutter. No mirrors or prisms bouncing around in there. I haven't seen any problems with the K-3, but the K-5 definitely had mirror induced blur at certain shutter speeds, and the K-7 had tons of it.

I've recently been messing around with a cheap Nex-3, and while some things like the flip screen are great, other things aren't so great. The shutter is. . .weird and the lack of shake reduction really limits its utility, while the software interface is a total ergonomic nightmare.
How does the Nex-3's focus peaking compare with the K-01's?

I've completely given myself over to in-body SR... I won't buy a new camera without it.
08-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,187
If the specs are a clear improvement over the K-01 in LV mode and the K-50 in DSLR mode, I'll get one after a while. I know I'm going to want to switch between those modes frequently, so I don't want to take a step back in terms of CDAF.

Early adopters get really ripped off in Japan, but I'll probably only have to wait a few months before it comes down by 20% or so.
08-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Appreciate the K-S1 for what it is.

Continue to use my K-01 and K-3 and buy lenses.
I guess "Ignore the K-S1" is close enough, I didn't mean it in a hostile way.

08-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,009
Nothing against the new cam, I just don't need a new cam right now.
08-22-2014, 08:57 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
What does the K-S1 have to do with the K-01?
I'm confused?
08-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian
konraDarnok's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
How does the Nex-3's focus peaking compare with the K-01's?

I've completely given myself over to in-body SR... I won't buy a new camera without it.


It lets you choose between red, yellow, and white. Yellow, for reasons I can't quite explain, works the best. It's far easier to use than white or red. Why doesn't Pentax or Sony let you choose any color you want? I have no idea.

But what I'd really like (that hasn't been implemented by any manufacturer I've seen) is a half push of the shutter for zoom focus confirmation. It's seems obvious to me that's the way it should be implemented. I can't fathom why no one has done this yet.

I very much agree on the SR. It's just too wonderful.
08-22-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskit Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,562
Where was this question when the K-500 came out?
The K-S1 shares vastly more similarities to the K-500/K-50/K-30 than it does to the K-01.
It's an apples to oranges comparison IMO.
That said, I am keeping my K-01 and passing on the K-S1. It just doesn't fit my needs.
08-22-2014, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
What does the K-S1 have to do with the K-01?
I'm confused?
I'm asking simply for the most superficial of reasons - the K-01 and K-S1 are the 2 most oddly styled Pentaxes, and have immediately stirred controversy within the Pentax community. That's all...

---------- Post added 08-23-14 at 01:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Where was this question when the K-500 came out?
The K-S1 shares vastly more similarities to the K-500/K-50/K-30 than it does to the K-01.
It's an apples to oranges comparison IMO.
That said, I am keeping my K-01 and passing on the K-S1. It just doesn't fit my needs.
Apples and oranges you say, still both are fruit.

---------- Post added 08-23-14 at 01:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
It lets you choose between red, yellow, and white. Yellow, for reasons I can't quite explain, works the best. It's far easier to use than white or red. Why doesn't Pentax or Sony let you choose any color you want? I have no idea.

But what I'd really like (that hasn't been implemented by any manufacturer I've seen) is a half push of the shutter for zoom focus confirmation. It's seems obvious to me that's the way it should be implemented. I can't fathom why no one has done this yet.

I very much agree on the SR. It's just too wonderful.
Within weeks of acquiring the K-01, I, too, wondered why there couldn't be zoom focus confirmation... it'd be especially handy with shallow DoF.
08-22-2014, 10:58 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
LightBug's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: OC, CA, USA
Posts: 411
K-01's image quality is just wonderful. For times when one doesn't need fast burst shooting, the K-01 does the job fine.
08-22-2014, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LightBug Quote
K-01's image quality is just wonderful. For times when one doesn't need fast burst shooting, the K-01 does the job fine.
I agree, I almost feel sorry for folks who don't have one.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
analog, apples, digital camera, dslrs, focus, k-01, k-s1, lens, lenses, lot, mirrorless, olympus, oranges, pentax, people, post, reasons, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the VF-3 View Finder work on the K-01? Jerome Welch Pentax K-01 34 08-08-2013 02:56 AM
K-5II or K-5IIs - which one will you choose if the price is the same? frank Pentax K-5 54 06-20-2013 03:45 PM
What do you think the replacement for the K-01 will be like? Glen_S Pentax Mirrorless Cameras 74 01-16-2013 09:47 AM
For those of you with both the K-5 and K-01 or K-30... cali92rs Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 11-12-2012 07:10 PM
Why I will upgrade to the K-01 (Not that you care) paperbag846 Pentax K-01 20 02-03-2012 05:59 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top