Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
They both feel good (well they are pretty much the same body) I own the 2 and I would put the experience closer to a good Rangefinder than to and SLR thoughfor me they feel like using an MX . Very organic everythin in the right place. Aperture on the lens Shutter ans EV dial on top.. Metal small body.
Even coser from an SLR standpoint would be the XT1 which quite a few people have likened to an LX in feel (I considered it but wanted to move away from the SLR styl. Pentax lenses perform great on them, the fuji lenses (particularly the 23/35/56) are like the limiteds. just something special about their rendering and performance

I still love pentax gear, but the Fuji has won me (and many others over - the pros moving from big pro canikon systems for at least part of their work are numerous)

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2014 at 22:55 ----------

I didn't think I'd like EVF either (in fact the older ones I tried had biased me. Try an XT1 or XE2 finder. Still not a large MX or LX finder but they are a good experioence and I like the ability to focus peak while using the vf. I nail more focus now than I ever did with a split screen setup
in the interim I picked up an XT1 as my second body (and got rid of my K7) it's the closest thing I've used to an LX period. the finder may not be interchangeable but it is properly huge and as good as EVF gets right now (laggy in really low light but so are my eyes at 54)

there is no reason for Ff pentax couldn't go that route with a fully working AF adapter for all the old lenses and the beginning of a new lens line for the Mirrorless size. the X series moved Fuji ahead of Pentax in overall camera sales and returned the division to profit
I will say for long lenses I'd rather see them make a proper retro styled fully backward compatible that echoed the LX (Like the Nikon Df echos the old Nikons)

12-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
If it had a bigger sensor...
Exactly. If the MX-1 had an M4/3 or APS-C sensor, it would have flown off the shelves. Even Panasonic, whose LX series set the standard for pocket pro cameras, seems to be giving up on the high-end camera with a sensor smaller than 1."

---------- Post added 12-16-14 at 08:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I have a MX-1, and I don't see any real problem with the sensor or the lens. Optically, it's good. The sloooow processor, the tacky rubber grip, and the lack of any viewfinder (and resultant difficulty using it in bright sunlight) are my gripes.
It may or may not be a problem for some, but if you hold the A6000 or similar offerings from other companies, and then look at the result from that sensor which is pretty close to that on the K3, it is hard to consider something with a similar sized body and smaller sensor.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-16-2014 at 08:14 AM.
12-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Exactly. If the MX-1 had an M4/3 or APS-C sensor, it would have flown off the shelves. Even Panasonic, whose LX series set the standard for pocket pro cameras, seems to be giving up on the high-end camera with a sensor smaller than 1."
---------- Post added 12-16-14 at 08:07 AM -------

It may or may not be a problem for some, but if you hold the A6000 or similar offerings from other companies, and then look at the result from that sensor which is pretty close to that on the K3, it is hard to consider something with a similar sized body and smaller sensor.
I guess it depends upon your needs. At another photo site, a person took essentially the same picture with a Canon T3i (APS-C sensor) and with a Canon SX-50 (sensor same size as Q or Q10 sensor). If you look at the pixel level, you can see some noise on the SX-50 picture ... but there is a large subgroup who prefer the SX-50. I see the Q family potentially addressing the same audience that the SX-50 does and the T3i addressing the same audience that the K-50 does.
12-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess it depends upon your needs. At another photo site, a person took essentially the same picture with a Canon T3i (APS-C sensor) and with a Canon SX-50 (sensor same size as Q or Q10 sensor). If you look at the pixel level, you can see some noise on the SX-50 picture ... but there is a large subgroup who prefer the SX-50. I see the Q family potentially addressing the same audience that the SX-50 does and the T3i addressing the same audience that the K-50 does.
It is hard to comment on photos someone else took and what the variables may be. I can take a photo in certain conditions on my wife's 10mp small sensor LX7 which will look as good at certain sizes as my DSLR. However, on the whole, the bigger sensor will outperform the smaller one. The bar has been raised because the current crop of upscale mirrorless cameras have much bigger sensors such that one gives up very little and in relatively few situations over a DSLR, and in small packages which give up very little over the small sensor cameras.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-16-2014 at 09:50 PM.
12-16-2014, 11:15 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
That's exactly what I just did.

I had a K-01. Loved it, especially the image quality. But it REALLY needed an EVF, and better manual focus support.

My new Fuji X-E1 fits in my hands like my Pentax MX, has a great viewfinder, does manual focus really well (focus peaking + zooming), and handles great. I love having a proper shutter speed dial, aperture rings, and exposure compensation dial. By the way, I am shooting all-Pentax glass on the Fuji -- FA Limiteds, SMC-A, and S-M-C Takumars.
This is a very intriguing thread. I had the same thought this morning about a smaller retro design.

I suppose the FA limiteds have aperture rings right? I see some adapters with an aperture ring control for DA lenses. Any idea how this works?
12-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by quimming Quote
This is a very intriguing thread. I had the same thought this morning about a smaller retro design.

I suppose the FA limiteds have aperture rings right? I see some adapters with an aperture ring control for DA lenses. Any idea how this works?
I sold on my da lenses rather than get one as they were lousy MF tools in any case, but the way they work is they catch the lever that opens the aperture and you can adjust, it's not anywhere near being able to assign a correct F stop value to your notes but it makes them usable (if you don't mind really short focus throws since you will be in MF mode) I kept all my manual focus lenses (that weren't stolen) and adapted they were a treat - as would FA limited - if I had the cash to spare I'd add those 3 to use with film and my Fujis
12-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found that the Sony A6000 breathed even more life into my M and K lenses with the adapters for PK to Nex. The M lens which gets the most use is the 50mm/1.4, because the Sony line lacks any glass that fast. I'm also getting an adapter for my wife's old Contax/Zeiss lenses which have languished for more than a decade.

There are two kinds of aperture rings on adapters--one without clicks and one with clicks. If there is an aperture ring on the lens, the adapter without clicks is better. I set my desired aperture and focus wide open by turning the ring on the adapter all the way right (viewed from the back) before focusing. I then turn the ring all the way left to close the aperture before shooting. It works well with aperture priorty or manual exposure. The adapters which have clicks and try to emulate f-stops on lenses without aperture rings are less accurate than aperture rings on the lens, but I find them still usable.

Looks pretty cool, too.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by GeneV; 12-17-2014 at 08:59 AM.
12-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #38
Pentaxian

It is hard to comment on photos someone else took and what the variables may be. I can take a photo in certain conditions on my wife's 10mp small sensor LX7 which will look as good at certain sizes as my DSLR. However, on the whole, the bigger sensor will outperform the smaller one. The bar has been raised because the current crop of upscale mirrorless cameras have much bigger sensors such that one gives up very little and in relatively few situations over a DSLR, and in small packages which give up very little over the small sensor cameras.
In the case I was talking about, the photos were posted in a way that allowed me to download both of them, to look at them under my conditions and to look at the EXIF. Of course the photo taken with the T3i was better, but only in a way that I would notice if I printed a large print and examined it with my nose against it. That is not the way that I look at photos, so the photo taken with the small-sensor SX-50 would have been essentially as useful to me as the one taken with the larger-sensor T3i.

On the other hand, people are taking pictures with the SX-50 that I would never be able to take with my Rebel, because I'm not willing to spend the bucks necessary to get a lens which would give me the same "reach" as I would get with a 900+mm lens on a full-frame camera, and they are able to get that hand-held with the SX-50, partly because of its image stabilization and partly because of the degree of crop provided by the small sensor. I anticipate that a Q7 with an adapted lens, say the 205mm lens I formerly used with my Super Program or a 300mm lens that I might buy now, could provide me the same kind of reach at a much lower cost than buying a much longer lens for a K-something.

I guess what I've saying all along is that the A6000 and similar cameras may appeal to a completely different audience than the Q-family does, and a company like Ricoh-Pentax might be well-served by going after niches like that. Of course, with Sony's well-publicized hacking issues, who knows how much money they'll be able to pour into the next generation of their cameras.

12-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I guess what I've saying all along is that the A6000 and similar cameras may appeal to a completely different audience than the Q-family does, and a company like Ricoh-Pentax might be well-served by going after niches like that. Of course, with Sony's well-publicized hacking issues, who knows how much money they'll be able to pour into the next generation of their cameras.
We all need to use what works for us. Apparently, the A6000 appeals to folks with different desires than yours, but I would disagree that it is a completely different set of folks from that of a high end small sensor camera like the Q. I came to be interested in the A6000 from friends who had changed from quality small sensor cameras to the Sony NEX line. I hope Pentax continues the Q line, but a second high end small sensor camera does not add much. I think that if the internals of the MX-1 had been something more like the Sony NEX or RX100 or the Panasonic LX100, they would have something.
12-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #40
Pentaxian

We all need to use what works for us.
We agree

Apparently, the A6000 appeals to folks with different desires than yours, but I would disagree that it is a completely different set of folks from that of a high end small sensor camera like the Q. I came to be interested in the A6000 from friends who had changed from quality small sensor cameras to the Sony NEX line..
This is where we do not agree.
From what I am hearing elsewhere, the Sony line is drawing mostly people from other APS-C cameras.
I believe that small sensor cameras are an area of competition all of their own, but I'm not convinced that there is much of a small sensor camera market apart from bridge cameras, because, from what I am hearing and seeing elsewhere, I believe that most people who leave small sensor cameras are going to cell phones.

I hope Pentax continues the Q line, but a second high end small sensor camera does not add much. I think that if the internals of the MX-1 had been something more like the Sony NEX or RX100 or the Panasonic LX100, they would have something.
We mostly agree here.
I believe that if Pentax were to expand their mirror-less line, the next camera would either replace or supplement the K-50.

Last edited by reh321; 12-17-2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: complete the thought