Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #1
sunshine7913

Film camera style Pentax mirrorless camera

I bought the Pentax Me Super SE version yesterday and it really looks awesome to me.

btw Why pentax does not make mirroless camera with Pentax film camera style?

Like Olympus, Fuji-film, Sony(sort of), and etc.

It would be awesome if they make mirroless camera with film camera style.

09-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They made the MX-1 last year, and nobody bought it until it dropped in price. You tell me!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-04-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I took my silver Q7 on vacation last week and people kept saying to me "It looks like an old film camera!" So, maybe they do.
09-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Nick it's surprising how many people think the Q7 is a film camera.
Maybe not a yellow one but the silver one for sure.

09-04-2014, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the retro mechanical look has had its run.

Will we do the same for smartphones?
09-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I think the retro mechanical look has had its run.

Will we do the same for smartphones?
If someone did a smartphone styled like a flipphone I'm sure people would buy it. It's just "cooler" to talk into a Star Trek communicator rather than a Tricorder...
09-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They made the MX-1 last year, and nobody bought it until it dropped in price. You tell me!
MX-1 was a small sensor compact camera - can't be compared.

09-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

"I think the retro mechanical look has had its run."

I disagree. I can't get over how much the new Fuji xT1 looks like my LX sitting on my desk.
09-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
sunshine7913

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well I want FF retro style or film camera style mirrorless camera lol
09-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
I bought the Pentax Me Super SE version yesterday and it really looks awesome to me.

btw Why pentax does not make mirroless camera with Pentax film camera style?

Like Olympus, Fuji-film, Sony(sort of), and etc.

It would be awesome if they make mirroless camera with film camera style.
The examples you mention are indeed mirrorless.

But I'm curious if your question is more about the looks of the camera, rather than whether it is mirrorless or not?

Probably stating the obvious, but the ME Super is not mirrorless. And its lens flange to film plane distance is the same as on all current Pentax DSLRs.

So maybe just a retro design, with a smaller grip (or no grip at all) would work.

The modern DSLR body is a little thicker than film bodies, to allow for SR mechanisms behind the sensor. I don't think anyone would want to give that up categorically, but it would be nice if that were thinner. I think most of the perception of size is due to the grip (and IMO, a large grip is a good thing).

Personally I think the claimed advantages of mirrorless cameras have nothing to do with the mirrorless aspect per se, rather it is the addition of some other things like EVFs which some people like. And the perception of a slightly smaller body, which is mostly driven by the fact that most mirrorless cameras use smaller sensors to begin with, and hence have smaller lenses -- but that is not because they are mirrorless.
09-04-2014, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm...

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 1.50.24 PM.png
Views: 1509
Size:  318.4 KB
09-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd love a k mount retro camera the size of the mx, lx, or me super. The olympus em10 is dang close and is very very tempting, but I still want the larger sensor and ovf. Weather sealing too while I'm dreaming.

Boriscleto thanks for that size comparison. Makes the ks1 a bit more appealing!
09-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If someone did a smartphone styled like a flipphone I'm sure people would buy it.
FLIPphone?? Nahhh. Go all the way -- make it an old brick phone with a rubber ducky antenna. I can just see hipsters standing in line to join this this stylish dude.
Attached Images

Last edited by tlong423; 09-04-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: placed image in message
09-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Try a Fuji X-E1 or X-E2.

With an adapter and a Pentax lens it is closer to a Pentax film camera than any camera I have ever used.

Sure it would be nice it it said "Pentax" on the front, but that will never happen.
09-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

In what ways is the X-E1 or X-E2 more like a Pentax film camera, than a Pentax DSLR?

I don't mean to sound harsh, I just would like to know since I don't own them. Is this more about the looks and shape of the body?

(And I don't mean to sound like the looks and the shape of the body are not important. I wouldn't buy if it I didn't like how it looked or felt in my hands.)