Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
btw Why pentax does not make mirroless camera with Pentax film camera style?
I've been wondering this very question. It seems like Pentax have staked out their own style which is all about going for the youth with colorful, toy-ish looking designs. They don't have anything like the Olympus E-M5 or the Fuji X-T1, and it doesn't seem like they're interested in going that way. Which, to me, is a pity. Pentax has the heritage, so why not make the most of it?

I've been severely tempted by the X-T1. Not only does it look like a classic film SLR, but also the controls are very reminiscent of my Pentax ZX-5n, which was a real hero of a camera for me. So... I'm scratching my head and wondering why Pentax can't (or won't) deliver something in this category?

---------- Post added 09-07-14 at 09:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They made the MX-1 last year, and nobody bought it until it dropped in price. You tell me!
I don't really see much "retro" in the MX-1. It doesn't look all that much like any vintage camera that I can point to, and it sure doesn't operate anything like one.

09-07-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They made the MX-1 last year, and nobody bought it until it dropped in price. You tell me!
If it had a bigger sensor...
09-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
If it had a bigger sensor...
I have a MX-1, and I don't see any real problem with the sensor or the lens. Optically, it's good. The sloooow processor, the tacky rubber grip, and the lack of any viewfinder (and resultant difficulty using it in bright sunlight) are my gripes.
09-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Apart from the size, shape and handling, mirrorless cameras meter off the sensor.

They act like they have a aperture coupler.

No green button to push.

09-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If we're going to do retro, I'd like a TLR style body with top mounted 2" viewfinder like my old YashicaMat. K-mount, Mirrorless, could easily
be full frame. A sideways successor to the K-01, (the K-T1 ?). Yeah, that would stir some blood.
10-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Try a Fuji X-E1 or X-E2.

With an adapter and a Pentax lens it is closer to a Pentax film camera than any camera I have ever used.

Sure it would be nice it it said "Pentax" on the front, but that will never happen.
That's exactly what I just did.

I had a K-01. Loved it, especially the image quality. But it REALLY needed an EVF, and better manual focus support.

My new Fuji X-E1 fits in my hands like my Pentax MX, has a great viewfinder, does manual focus really well (focus peaking + zooming), and handles great. I love having a proper shutter speed dial, aperture rings, and exposure compensation dial. By the way, I am shooting all-Pentax glass on the Fuji -- FA Limiteds, SMC-A, and S-M-C Takumars.
10-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I've never handled a fuji xe1 till today, one of my clients had a really beat up and gnarly looking one that she's been using hard for a while. My goodness what a nice light little camera! And they're downright cheap now at $500...

10-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I have wondered the same thing for a long time. I love my ZX-5n, my K1000, and my ME Super, as far as ergonomics go. I'd consider purchasing such a full frame digital camera, whether or not it had a mirror.
10-14-2014, 01:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I think they could of done something with a fixed lens. Maybe a MX-2 with a 16mp aps-c sensor, modeled after the actual MX film camera with a 35mm (equiv) f2 lens. Put a EVF where the OVF would be and price it to compete with the Sony RX100 and Fuji x100s. That would probably compete too closely with the GR though.
10-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
compare it to the newer (and very capable) OMD EM5 Boris. the original OMD is actually pretty large the 5 I'm trying is tiny compared to my K7

---------- Post added 22nd Oct 2014 at 15:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I've never handled a fuji xe1 till today, one of my clients had a really beat up and gnarly looking one that she's been using hard for a while. My goodness what a nice light little camera! And they're downright cheap now at $500...
I just picked up one with the kit lens for $750 Canadian (the lens is almost that price up here) (though am going to change to the XE2) If I thought i'd use the kit zoom I'd keep it But i's rather spend $50 more for the XE2 body and grab 3 primes and be done with it. (23 1.4, 35 1.4, 56 1.2) I may be swayed to the older Xpro for the VF if they give me the price since it's about to be replaced
11-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
The examples you mention are indeed mirrorless.

Personally I think the claimed advantages of mirrorless cameras have nothing to do with the mirrorless aspect per se, rather it is the addition of some other things like EVFs which some people like. And the perception of a slightly smaller body, which is mostly driven by the fact that most mirrorless cameras use smaller sensors to begin with, and hence have smaller lenses -- but that is not because they are mirrorless.
I can't speak for others.

To me, a mirror-less camera has two (related) advantages which do come directly from eliminating the mirror

(1) smaller / lighter than a DSLR, so I would have more room in my camera bag for other things, and it would take less effort to carry

(2) smaller distance between sensor and lens mounting point simplifies adapters for legacy lenses

I don't "like" EVF, but I do need some kind of viewfinder, and EVF is essentially the only available way to implement a viewfinder using a mirror-less design.

The other good thing coming from the mirror-less "movement" is the return to retro designs.
Apart from the mirror-less models, about the only way to get away from the stealth SLR design begun by the Canon T-90 is to get a Pentax DSLR such as a K-50.
11-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
In what ways is the X-E1 or X-E2 more like a Pentax film camera, than a Pentax DSLR?

I don't mean to sound harsh, I just would like to know since I don't own them. Is this more about the looks and shape of the body?

(And I don't mean to sound like the looks and the shape of the body are not important. I wouldn't buy if it I didn't like how it looked or felt in my hands.)

They both feel good (well they are pretty much the same body) I own the 2 and I would put the experience closer to a good Rangefinder than to and SLR thoughfor me they feel like using an MX . Very organic everythin in the right place. Aperture on the lens Shutter ans EV dial on top.. Metal small body.
Even coser from an SLR standpoint would be the XT1 which quite a few people have likened to an LX in feel (I considered it but wanted to move away from the SLR styl. Pentax lenses perform great on them, the fuji lenses (particularly the 23/35/56) are like the limiteds. just something special about their rendering and performance

I still love pentax gear, but the Fuji has won me (and many others over - the pros moving from big pro canikon systems for at least part of their work are numerous)

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2014 at 22:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I can't speak for others.

To me, a mirror-less camera has two (related) advantages which do come directly from eliminating the mirror

(1) smaller / lighter than a DSLR, so I would have more room in my camera bag for other things, and it would take less effort to carry

(2) smaller distance between sensor and lens mounting point simplifies adapters for legacy lenses

I don't "like" EVF, but I do need some kind of viewfinder, and EVF is essentially the only available way to implement a viewfinder using a mirror-less design.

The other good thing coming from the mirror-less "movement" is the return to retro designs.
Apart from the mirror-less models, about the only way to get away from the stealth SLR design begun by the Canon T-90 is to get a Pentax DSLR such as a K-50.
I didn't think I'd like EVF either (in fact the older ones I tried had biased me. Try an XT1 or XE2 finder. Still not a large MX or LX finder but they are a good experioence and I like the ability to focus peak while using the vf. I nail more focus now than I ever did with a split screen setup
12-03-2014, 04:29 AM   #28

An XT1 sized camera coming from Pentax would be so awesome! (for using all those nice little primes)
12-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
I bought the Pentax Me Super SE version yesterday and it really looks awesome to me.

btw Why pentax does not make mirroless camera with Pentax film camera style?

Like Olympus, Fuji-film, Sony(sort of), and etc.

It would be awesome if they make mirroless camera with film camera style.
The "film style" mirrorless cameras are kind of a strange bit of nostalgia and fashion, IMO. They're a little bit too small to be a proper replica of the style they are imitating. Mirrorless digital cameras are an evolution; they could incorporate styling from older camera bodies, but I think form should generally follow function - otherwise you're cramming functionality into an awkward design just for the sake of fashion.
12-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I think it is funny how the A7ii has grown a much larger grip (and the body is thicker as well). And all the reviews have said the ergonomics are much better. Hmmm, imagine that.