Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 01:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
EVF - makes you sick?

Hello. I've been shooting DSLR for quite a few years, and before that I've had SLR cameras.

Now a while back I decided that I wanted to take full advantage of my many old lenses and I felt a need for better ISO handling so I decided that a full-frame was the logical next step. I went to the local store to get a feel for the Sony A7 and more specifically the A7S. After using the EVF for about 30 seconds I thought I was going to puke, literally.

I have no tendencies what so ever for car sickness or sea sickness so I don't know why I have such problems watching an EVF. Am I alone or are there more people with the same problems? Is sonys implementation worse than what others have?

10-09-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

personnally, EVF gives me headhache. I guess, you have to get a bit used to it.

It's basically that you are looking at a screen, so maybe the EVF is a bit to bright (that's what's causing me headache ...).
10-09-2014, 03:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

As EVFs go Sony has one of the best if not the best.

I'm in the same boat with you. I did not puke like you did but I did not like the feel of the A7's EVF at all. If they said tomorrow that EVF is all that is available, I will learn to like it. Until such time, I like my optical viewfinder a lot more.

I also tried a friend's NEX7 just last week. It has an EVF which I do not like. But it has focus peaking which allows for very precise focusing with old manual lenses. That feature I liked a lot. For my aging eyes which are not good enough for manual lenses the focus peaking opens up a whole new world.

We were testing some old legacy manual focus Konica lenses I have. First we tried the EVF and of course it was hit or miss and a painful process. Then I "discovered" the focus peaking feature of the NEX7 and it became fun, a lot of fun. We started to get incredibly sharp and precisely focused results.

I am now considering an NEX type body just for my manual lenses. BTW, the video quality of the Sony is far superior to anything Pentax offers!

I believe the A7 series also has the focus peaking feature. Try it you may like it this time.
10-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I never, ever, understood how we repeat that people must have a secure working distance from LCD screen and we have camera manufacturers that tells us to put our eyes against one.

I hate EVFs: they put a lot of fatigue on the eye quickly, they lag, they are overly bright or overly dark, they display insane level of noise...

10-09-2014, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, I have not heard any of this before about EVF's. Don't have one and not headed in that direction either but...this is good info to file away for the future.
10-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've heard of headaches, not so much nausea - it wouldn't surprise me if you were trying to track action with a laggy EVF (because of the mismatch between what your eye is seeing and your inner ear is sensing), but the A7 VF is supposed to be really good, so I am puzzled.

Last edited by THoog; 10-09-2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: clarity
10-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

OP is saying that he got nauseous from specifically the A7's EVF - so if that's supposed to be a really good EVF, then there likely isn't an EVF that will keep him from getting that sea-sick feeling.

10-09-2014, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
Now a while back I decided that I wanted to take full advantage of my many old lenses and I felt a need for better ISO handling so I decided that a full-frame was the logical next step. I went to the local store to get a feel for the Sony A7 and more specifically the A7S. After using the EVF for about 30 seconds I thought I was going to puke, literally.

I have no tendencies what so ever for car sickness or sea sickness so I don't know why I have such problems watching an EVF. Am I alone or are there more people with the same problems? Is sonys implementation worse than what others have?
In the news a few years back it was reported that users of 3-D virtual reality gear often suffered motion sickness. The problem was traced to an imperceptible lag between the user's physical motions and the resulting change in the visual image. The software programmers, greedy for more hardware resources to make the graphics more impressive, maxed out their use of the computer hardware as much as possible without creating a perceptible lag. Unfortunately, other parts of the brain were freaked out by the lack of synchrony between physical and visual sensory input and made the users sick.

In other words, I'm not surprised that EVFs give some people motion sickness.
10-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #9

I get sick playing video games so I suspect using an EVF will be much the same.
10-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
In the news a few years back it was reported that users of 3-D virtual reality gear often suffered motion sickness..
Motion sickness was always a problem with 'virtual reality'. It was one of the main complaints about the Nintendo Virtual Boy for example.

QuoteOriginally posted by phoned Quote
I get sick playing video games so I suspect using an EVF will be much the same.
I remember people complaining about motion sickness when Descent 3 came out back in the late-90s.

Last edited by boriscleto; 10-09-2014 at 07:39 AM.
10-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #11

Original Poster
It is hard to tell what specifically gave me the nauseous feeling but the things that I noticed was

1. changes in brightness,
2. some sort of flicker when i focused on different things,
3. motion lag

What I know about myself:
1. I am unable to watch most DLP projectors because "all I see" is the rainbow effect. - not nauseous but it is very irritating.
2. I don't have perfect vision but don't wear glasses.

I'm going to the local store again in a few days to get a new ballhead and I can have another go at the camera at that time to see if I can pinpoint the cause any closer.
10-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Could you have gotten the motion sickness because your body felt one thing but your eyes saw another? If the image was such that the projection covered 180 degrees of your view then you had no reference for your eyes of boundaries. There was no border?

I don't know ... I'm just grasping at straws here based on my experience with an IMAX movie. The screen was a dome that completely covered my field of vision. Looking straight ahead I didn't see anything but the movie. When the image panned or tilted I had a weird motion sickness feeling. It wasnt bad. It was just that I felt the world moving/shifting/tilting around me but I was perfectly still.
10-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Could you have gotten the motion sickness because your body felt one thing but your eyes saw another? If the image was such that the projection covered 180 degrees of your view then you had no reference for your eyes of boundaries. There was no border?

I don't know ... I'm just grasping at straws here based on my experience with an IMAX movie. The screen was a dome that completely covered my field of vision. Looking straight ahead I didn't see anything but the movie. When the image panned or tilted I had a weird motion sickness feeling. It wasnt bad. It was just that I felt the world moving/shifting/tilting around me but I was perfectly still.
Different people suffer from different things with regards to EVF. Sometimes it's the refresh rate - if the refresh rate is slow enough where the human eye can distinguish frame changes (especially when panning), it can be disorienting. Otherwise it can also be the fact that the image is stabilized - similar to when looking through an OVF with an optically stabilized lens. Also, it can be the intensity of light/contrast of the EVF, where the image just doesn't look like real life and the mind cannot reconcile it.
10-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's funny, I used an EVF in my old Kodak5MP bridge camera for years. Never had an issue. I use a.V5 viewfinder loud on the Q for eye level viewing no issues there either.
10-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The viewfinder on my Olympus E-M5 has been very good, and I've heard the ones on their newer cameras are further improved. I've never felt anything like motion sickness from it -- but I'm not usually prone to motion sickness anyhow. It's different from an OVF, but I find the EVF has its own benefits in terms of showing a live view closer to the image the camera will record, with current settings applied.