Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
How about a viewfinder instead of a display?

The Q suffers from it's small sensor IMHO. It's not being taken serious... and to be honest I'd rather have a relatively large sensor camera with fixed zoom lens than one with a small sensor and different lenses... I really have a hard time understanding the Q.
Well the Q7 is a marvelous little machine even without an EVF. That would make it nicer to use but it s very usable right now. I will be 70 in a couple of months so my eyesight is not perfect but I do like to be challenged in productive ways. IE life is sweetest when I can learn something new that gives me more choice, more power over my life and activities. That is what the Q does. I loved the EVF on my A6000 but it was not enough to keep me from returning to Pentax DSLRs with the Q7 as a small, portable ILC.

11-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about a viewfinder instead of a display?
An EVF is a viewfinder, and it is the only kind of viewfinder that makes any sense for a camera that can use lots of different lenses; in fact a camera that might use lenses never anticipated by the camera manufacturer.
The Q suffers from it's small sensor IMHO. It's not being taken serious... and to be honest I'd rather have a relatively large sensor camera with fixed zoom lens than one with a small sensor and different lenses... I really have a hard time understanding the Q.
I used to feel that way myself. But over the years, one thing I have really struggled with is getting enough telephoto to get good pictures of birds as I go walking with my wife, the birdwatcher. As people elsewhere have talked more and more about using the Canon SX-50 for taking pictures of birds, I realized that the Q7's sensor is something like 50% larger than the SX-50's sensor, so the Q7, when used with an adapted zoom lens, should be able to deliver some of the range benefits demonstrated by people using bridge cameras while still delivering some of the benefits that tend to accrue from a larger sensor. That "ah ha" moment is when I started thinking of getting a Q and using with some of the lenses I already have dating back to my use of film cameras.
11-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is my first digital camera and it had an OVF, the Canon Powershot SD200 with 3X optical zoom (equivalent to 35-105mm on a 35mm film camera) - Canon PowerShot SD200 / SD300: Digital Photography Review.

Believe me that tiny little viewfinder was so useful and covered a good range as you can see. Something equivalent in the Q would be awesome. Longer focal lengths could be supported in the LCD but at least the majority of uses would be covered by the OVF.

PS: parallax issues are highly overstated. especially on such small cameras.
11-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
This is my first digital camera and it had an OVF, the Canon Powershot SD200 with 3X optical zoom (equivalent to 35-105mm on a 35mm film camera) - Canon PowerShot SD200 / SD300: Digital Photography Review.

Believe me that tiny little viewfinder was so useful and covered a good range as you can see. Something equivalent in the Q would be awesome. Longer focal lengths could be supported in the LCD but at least the majority of uses would be covered by the OVF.

PS: parallax issues are highly overstated. especially on such small cameras.
I had the PowerShot A60. The OVF in that one had parallax issues, it didn't exactly cover the same area as the lens, and it was tilted. Basically if you tried to get a straight photo with the OVF the actual photo would be leaning towards one side.
But I guess if it's well done... but the problem with the Q is that you can mount different lenses. On cameras with built in lenses it can make sense, but not when you can exchange it.

11-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
people who complain about EVF's haven't used the new models, like my A7R.
Except for those that have. I looked at the A7R before buying my K-3 and opted not to based on the EVF. Instant headache...I kid you not.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-14-14 at 08:16 PM ----------

I had the PowerShot A60
You shoulda bought a G-series. The optical viewfinder on those were/are excellent.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-14-14 at 08:32 PM ----------

Simple. Pentax is limited to the Milbeaut.
You mean in the same way that Nikon is limited? Nikon Expeed (like Pentax PRIME) is Milbeaut-based.

Steve
11-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Except for those that have. I looked at the A7R before buying my K-3 and opted not to based on the EVF. Instant headache...I kid you not.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-14-14 at 08:16 PM ----------

You shoulda bought a G-series. The optical viewfinder on those were/are excellent.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-14-14 at 08:32 PM ----------

You mean in the same way that Nikon is limited? Nikon Expeed (like Pentax PRIME) is Milbeaut-based.

Steve
I have looked at the A7 and A7R, I was too confused in terms of usability. How do I focus manually?! It's weird, cause on their DSLTs they have figured out ergonomics pretty well. I've used the a57 for some time, and it works great. No problems with the viewfinder on any of these cameras, though I don't think the a57 was good enough, the A7 barely.

The G-series was too expensive, but maybe that's what made them expensive...

Yes, in the same way. Leica too, IIRC.
11-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

I have looked at the A7 and A7R, I was too confused in terms of usability. How do I focus manually?! .
Manual focusing is the strength of these cameras! The focus peaking is very helpful and it is in the clear, bright viewfinder.
11-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Manual focusing is the strength of these cameras! The focus peaking is very helpful and it is in the clear, bright viewfinder.
Yeah, but I couldn't figure out how to make the camera NOT auto focus after I have focused manually... probably if I had delved into the menus...

11-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, but I couldn't figure out how to make the camera NOT auto focus after I have focused manually... probably if I had delved into the menus...
You must be using an emount lens. Other kinds of lenses would not autofocus. You can select autofocus modes in the menu. There is a setting to allow emount lenses to be hand focused after autofocus is done which is similar to Pentax quick shift. I forget the name but you can find it in the setup menu.
11-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #55
Pentaxian

You must be using an emount lens. Other kinds of lenses would not autofocus. You can select autofocus modes in the menu. There is a setting to allow emount lenses to be hand focused after autofocus is done which is similar to Pentax quick shift. I forget the name but you can find it in the setup menu.
Ok, thanks. I only had a couple of minutes in a Sony store (mounted to an E mount lens), so I couldn't do much. And fully functional and charged A7(rs) cameras are very rare where I am now...
11-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, thanks. I only had a couple of minutes in a Sony store (mounted to an E mount lens), so I couldn't do much. And fully functional and charged A7(rs) cameras are very rare where I am now...
I wish I could play with an A7r. From what I hear it has some failings but I really liked the A6000 with Pentax lenses - especially the M*300 which could focus so accurately and quickly it was as good or better than the native emount lenses I used. The e-mount weakness for me was the limited number of good lenses. The newer FE lenses are supposed to be big improvements but they are expensive. Have you checked out the Non-Pentax Camera forum in the Off Topic forum. There are a number of people using the A7 cameras there.
11-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wish I could play with an A7r. From what I hear it has some failings but I really liked the A6000 with Pentax lenses - especially the M*300 which could focus so accurately and quickly it was as good or better than the native emount lenses I used. The e-mount weakness for me was the limited number of good lenses. The newer FE lenses are supposed to be big improvements but they are expensive. Have you checked out the Non-Pentax Camera forum in the Off Topic forum. There are a number of people using the A7 cameras there.
Pinholecam in particular posts lots of samples with the Sony FF + Pentax lenses. Good stuff.
11-18-2014, 05:17 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pinholecam in particular posts lots of samples with the Sony FF + Pentax lenses. Good stuff.
Yes, indeed. His collection of lenses is extensive and he is a fine photographer. He shows the camera off at its best.
11-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Has anyone else noticed that a thread which started off asking for a viewfinder-equipped Q has devolved into a discussion of the strengths of particular cameras that do have some kind of viewfinder??
From my point-of-view, that strengthens the case for having a viewfinder-equipped Q
11-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #60
Pentaxian

I don't know... to me the core strength of the Q is still the size, with a viewfinder that would be compromised. Also the ergonomics aren't designed for a viewfinder.

If we wanted to get a bit crazier... drop the screen. EVF only. Or create a viewfinder that is attached to the head, separate from the camera.