Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2014, 10:26 PM   #1

Image quality

How are real world mirrorless cameras by Pentax. I like the design.

11-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you referring to the Pentax Q system?

The Q bodies use point-and-shoot sized sensors, so the image quality isn't quite DSLR-grade, but the fact that you can swap lenses and adapt K-mount lenses opens up a pretty big world of possibilities. I would recommend checking out the many great pics our members have posted to see what the system is capable of.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've got a K-01 (hey, that's a mirrorless too! ).
IQ is very good, almost on par with the K-5: there's differences at different ISOs and, IIRC the K-01 has a less strong AA filter, so it tends to be sharper (even if sometimes you get a little moire because of that, easy to correct anyway).
11-08-2014, 03:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The two mirrorless units the Q and the K-01 are nice in their own right. The Q apart from its size is really nice to experiment with time lapse, in particular since it does not have a shutter. Plus, its image sizes (file) are smaller so that when you acquire several hundred of them, they are a bit easier to work with. Then, with the Q you can use some really normal lenses that turn out to be extremely long telephoto with the crop factor. There are several folks here that really like the K-01 for astro work - no mirror, light AA, etc.

11-08-2014, 04:08 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you look for a Q used with longer lenses the IQ can be really competitive, this is the case of macro with adapted "normal" lenses also (bigger DOF). Due to a crop factor compared to APS-C (for my first or "original" Q it is 3,7) the quality in many cases can be better then in my DSLR shots (but I do not have any modern and pricey telephoto lens.

The image below comes from my budget telephoto Sigma APO DG Macro 70 - 300. I see no possibility to get such an image from an DSLR with this one.

If you look at the PF Q subforum you will find also many great photos with "native" Q system lenses. For me the quality is enough good in this case. Remember that for Q cameras you use smaller apertures compared to DSLR which helps to fight the noise and dynamic range issues.
11-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
If you look for a Q used with longer lenses the IQ can be really competitive, this is the case of macro with adapted "normal" lenses also (bigger DOF). Due to a crop factor compared to APS-C (for my first or "original" Q it is 3,7) the quality in many cases can be better then in my DSLR shots (but I do not have any modern and pricey telephoto lens.

The image below comes from my budget telephoto Sigma APO DG Macro 70 - 300. I see no possibility to get such an image from an DSLR with this one.

If you look at the PF Q subforum you will find also many great photos with "native" Q system lenses. For me the quality is enough good in this case. Remember that for Q cameras you use smaller apertures compared to DSLR which helps to fight the noise and dynamic range issues.
Looking at the picture of the Moon makes me want to buy a Q just to try with my Tokina ATX 400mm. I shot a pic of the Moon with my K10 and a 600mm Sigma Mirror. The results were nothing like you achieved.
11-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Looking at the picture of the Moon makes me want to buy a Q just to try with my Tokina ATX 400mm. I shot a pic of the Moon with my K10 and a 600mm Sigma Mirror. The results were nothing like you achieved.
I've shot the moon with a lowly K100DS (6MP!!!), an ok 200mm and a cr***y 2x TC, just... with some tricks
Stacking is good way to achieve a greater resolution than the lens/camera combination allows... and is much less expensive!
I've still to try that on my K-01 though... could use the extra resolution...

Edit: this is how the moon appears in a single K100DS shot (on the right) and what you get from a 10-image stack with the open source software Registax (on the left).
As you can see detail goes past single-pixel level thanks to interpolation.

But maybe you already know those things and want the longer focal length and the extra crop as well..
...and I must admit that Piotrek's shot is quite mouth-watering...

Last edited by LensBeginner; 11-08-2014 at 10:09 AM.
11-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

With SMC Takumar 300/4 I had even better results, I was sure trhey were posted on Q Forum, but apparently not - maybe can post them later today. However I sould mention the picture from Sigma is a stack from 5 or 7 images.
11-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Piotrek K Quote
With SMC Takumar 300/4 I had even better results, I was sure trhey were posted on Q Forum, but apparently not - maybe can post them later today. However I sould mention the picture from Sigma is a stack from 5 or 7 images.
You using Ninox and Registax as well?
11-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Registax, but have no clue how to adjust it - I just rely on standard settings.

---------- Post added 11-08-14 at 06:56 PM ----------

I just posted my moon photo here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/173602-reach-q-images-72.html#post3010759
11-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

They are great bur can have some quirks. At this price range they are pretty great. K-01 is a bit old now but i enjit using mine and get good photos. Feel free to look at the user reviews and sample photo gallery on these forums
11-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
They are great bur can have some quirks. At this price range they are pretty great. K-01 is a bit old now but i enjit using mine and get good photos. Feel free to look at the user reviews and sample photo gallery on these forums
Bit old, but still kicking! I checked the DXO-mark K-01 score yesterday against the K-S1, and they're virtually indistinguishable (but the K-01 wins on ISO)...