Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Yes, I realize this, but for many people who wish to play with their PK lenses, the el-cheapo adapter is a good bet.
Oh, I agree 100% ... but if this strange phenomenon (I've never seen this mentioned with respect o any other camera of any size) were to occur, it is good to understand what happened and how to avoid it.

11-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Oh, I agree 100% ... but if this strange phenomenon (I've never seen this mentioned with respect o any other camera of any size) were to occur, it is good to understand what happened and how to avoid it.
I don't think the Q is unique there -- that is how most (maybe all) electronic shutters work with CMOS sensors, and it probably takes longer with bigger sensors (a phone sensor being even smaller than the Q). That 40odd MP Nokia phone actually has a mechanical shutter because of the Xenon flash they used -- it was too fast for the scanning of the electronic shutter. And that very same issue exists with the Q -- shutter speed has to be 1/13s or slower to use flash with shutterless lenses. See this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/268300-still-no-external-man...ed-lenses.html
11-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I don't think the Q is unique there -- that is how most (maybe all) electronic shutters work with CMOS sensors, and it probably takes longer with bigger sensors (a phone sensor being even smaller than the Q). That 40odd MP Nokia phone actually has a mechanical shutter because of the Xenon flash they used -- it was too fast for the scanning of the electronic shutter. And that very same issue exists with the Q -- shutter speed has to be 1/13s or slower to use flash with shutterless lenses. See this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/268300-still-no-external-man...ed-lenses.html
Do iPhones have an electronic shutter?? I've taken pictures of moving trains with my iPhone with no sign at all of this phenomenon.
My Canon Elph, the camera I 've been thinking of replacing by a Q, has a sensor the size of the sensor on a Q or Q10, but I've never seen that phenomenon with it either.
In fact, despite using various small cameras, I had never heard of this phenomenon before encountering here, which is why I asked so many questions.

Frankly, I view this as a weakness of the Q family. If other small cameras don't have this problem, or it shows so seldomly that someone like me would never encounter it, then I don't understand why it is a known issue .with the Q-family.
11-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
Pentaxian

It is called a "rolling shutter" and people complain about it all the time (especially for video) on all sorts of cameras. Jello shutter, "shudder", smear...these terms were not invented just for the Q. It is just a property of CMOS sensors (whereas CCD sensors generally don't work that way). It isn't like Pentax is making their own sensors (is the Q sensor a Sony? Can't remember) -- it is likely the same sensor is in some other cams.

Here's some people that like the effect:

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2010/08/24/rolling-rolling-rolling-shutter/

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=%22rolling%20shutter%22&w=all

Last edited by vonBaloney; 11-18-2014 at 11:08 AM.
11-19-2014, 03:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 03 (fisheye) can also be use sparingly for some interior shots to exaggerate space.
11-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

TBH, I don't think that the Q7 is well-suited for Real Estate photography as it just doesn't have the low light performance or dynamic range needed. For that kind of work, it helps to have a camera that'll give good images at ISO1600 and beyond for those dark, dim basements and other moody rooms.

You might want to check out the Sony RX100 line of cameras and find the one with the widest wide angle. Ideally, get something 24mm EQ or wider, the wider the better, unless it's a fisheye, then no. AFAIK, the low light performance of the entire line is pretty similar so you might be able to save some money by buying used. I'd also suggest a cheap monopod to help steady shots in low light.

If you do give the Q7 a try, she'll really need the 08. The 02 isn't wide enough and the 03 is too distorted, too slow, and manual focus.

Good luck!
03-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #22
Forum Member

As a Realtor that shoots his own listings, ultra wide angles are needed, especially for small rooms. I use a K-01 with a Sigma 10-20 wide angle lens. Fast apertures aren't needed as tripods and deep DOF are required to show the house in focus.

03-11-2015, 03:19 AM   #23

Ricoh GR with the wide angle adaptor would give a very sharp 21mm field of view, plus its small enough to easily carry around.
03-17-2015, 11:06 PM   #24
Forum Member

Alas, 21mm is still not wide enough for small or stuffed with furniture rooms.
06-20-2015, 01:43 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabjohnson Quote
As a Realtor that shoots his own listings, ultra wide angles are needed, especially for small rooms. I use a K-01 with a Sigma 10-20 wide angle lens. Fast apertures aren't needed as tripods and deep DOF are required to show the house in focus.
I agree.
Waste of time using K adapter with Q for RE, all lenses become long not wide
06-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BTW. . . I picked up the Q7 Premium Kit off eBay -- from Japan -- for $762 with free shipping. That included the 01, 02, 06 and 08 lenses all with their lens hoods, and a polarizing filter, and the custom bag to carry it all. Seems like a bargain. However, that's "gray market" without valid warranty in the USA.
06-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
BTW. . . I picked up the Q7 Premium Kit off eBay -- from Japan -- for $762 with free shipping. That included the 01, 02, 06 and 08 lenses all with their lens hoods, and a polarizing filter, and the custom bag to carry it all. Seems like a bargain. However, that's "gray market" without valid warranty in the USA.
This is such a great deal. I should do this to get the 08...