Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Help With Possible Future Q7

I am looking to buy a Q7 for my wife this Christmas, she likes photography, but not as much as I do, she tried uzing the KX but she wants something smaller that she can use it in her future job as a real estate agent, and i want her to be able to use my lenses with the optional k mou t adapter.
the question i have is ......which of the Qmount lenses would you all reccomend for good all around realestate photos, prefferebly a zoom of some sort. Please bear witb me because even tnough i i am rather knowledgeable about DSLR lenses i really know nothing about the Q line up, how it is affected with the crop factor of the sensors in tbese smalll cameras.
also i need to know how good are the point and shoot capabilities are on these cameras, because she will most likely be keeping tjis camera in her purse on her person

thanks in advance

11-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 02 zoom included in most kits will be fine for normal use.
If you later want something with longer reach get the 06 zoom and you are set.
11-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

For real estate, the Q 08 zoom - it is a bit expensive, though. It is a 17,5 to 28 mm 24*36 equivalent, wide angle to ultra wide angle, perfect for real estate.
11-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I second the recommendation of the 08 if the price is within reach. It is expensive and he 02 will serve but the 08 just gives excellent results. Be sure that she is comfortable using a camera without a viewfinder. One of the Q's strengths for most of us is its almost DSLR configurability. Not everyone likes that much control. Those of us on this forum just love the little camera and are constantly astounding each other with its grown up abilities.

11-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I second the recommendation of the 08 if the price is within reach. It is expensive and he 02 will serve but the 08 just gives excellent results. Be sure that she is comfortable using a camera without a viewfinder. One of the Q's strengths for most of us is its almost DSLR configurability. Not everyone likes that much control. Those of us on this forum just love the little camera and are constantly astounding each other with its grown up abilities.
My wife actually likes a camera without a viewfinder, so shes good with that
11-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd suggest sticking with the kit zoom to start. With the Q7's sensor, the 35mm equivalent field of view of the kit zoom is 24-70mm, which is pretty damn wide. In years past, I've worked with P&S-toting RE agents who did not have such a wide option, and they were mostly able to do OK. The $500 for the 08 wide angle lens is a lot of $$.
11-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
My wife actually likes a camera without a viewfinder, so shes good with that
Great! I bet she will love it.
11-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'd suggest sticking with the kit zoom to start. With the Q7's sensor, the 35mm equivalent field of view of the kit zoom is 24-70mm, which is pretty damn wide. In years past, I've worked with P&S-toting RE agents who did not have such a wide option, and they were mostly able to do OK. The $500 for the 08 wide angle lens is a lot of $$.
Wow!, I was just checking out some Q7 packages on B&h looks like I can get my hands on one with a 5~15mm and 15~45 lenses for around 5 bills, not too shabby for what I want to get her. however I see the lens adapters for the K mount lenses are rather pricey....gonna hafta wait a while to get one of those

PS: I'm putting a bug in her ear for a K-3 w/ battery grip, thinks she gonna do it for me.....

11-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I can't see any use for the K adapter for real estate use because of the crop factor, not to mention lack of autofocus, aperture control, etc. Real estate people usually want wide-angle lenses, therefore the suggestions for the 08 above. But even an ultra-wide K lens becomes a short telephoto on the Q.
11-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Wow!, I was just checking out some Q7 packages on B&h looks like I can get my hands on one with a 5~15mm and 15~45 lenses for around 5 bills, not too shabby for what I want to get her. however I see the lens adapters for the K mount lenses are rather pricey....gonna hafta wait a while to get one of those
The aftermarket adapters are much less: Amazon.com: pentax q to k-mount adapter

From what I understand, people paint the inside of those adapters with flat black paint to minimize reflections.

But pretty much any K-mount lens you attach will be a tele, because of the 4.7x "crop factor".

QuoteQuote:
PS: I'm putting a bug in her ear for a K-3 w/ battery grip, thinks she gonna do it for me.....
That would be awfully nice of her...
11-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

If she is doing that the you must get her the Q set up
11-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I can't see any use for the K adapter for real estate use because of the crop factor, not to mention lack of autofocus, aperture control, etc. Real estate people usually want wide-angle lenses, therefore the suggestions for the 08 above. But even an ultra-wide K lens becomes a short telephoto on the Q.
The adapter would be something i or her would use just for fun on shoots where her job wont rely on it
11-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
factually
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The aftermarket adapters are much less: Amazon.com: pentax q to k-mount adapter

From what I understand, people paint the inside of those adapters with flat black paint to minimize reflections.

But pretty much any K-mount lens you attach will be a tele, because of the 4.7x "crop factor".

That would be awfully nice of her...
Even Amazon charges $209 for the Pentax adapter, because it is qualitatively different from all the others. I spent several days asking questions before I completely understood what is going on here, so I will try to distil it here:

The Q family is different - that is part of its charm. One largely-unspoken difference is that the body itself contains only an "electronic shutter"; this was originally described to me as being similar to what a point-and-shoot camera provides, but based on experience and testing, I believe it is more primitive than what the cell phones and point-and-shoot cameras I own provide. This "shutter" does not lock the sensor all at once; instead it reads the image one line at a time. The result is a weird type of distortion if fast motion is involved. There is already a thread here discussing this phenomenon; go down to the post by Abbazz for examples showing this phenomenon:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/227148-third-party-lenses-q.html

discIaimer: I do not personally own a Q; I've been asking lots of questions as I slowly decide what to buy for myself, so I am not an expert on this.

Most of the lenses provided for the Q (the ones not denoted as "toy lens") have a built-in mechanical shutter which does have the effect of locking the sensor so this phenomenon does not occur. The adapter provided by Pentax also does provide a mechanical shutter. The third-party ("aftermarket") adapters do not provide an additional shutter, which is why they are so much less expensive than the Pentax adapter is. Those who do own a member of the Q family assure me that this is not an actual problem most of the time; I'm mentioning it here only so that you will understand why the Pentax adapter is so much more expensive; in this case, they are not milking what they can from you - they are providing much more value than anyone else is.

As was said elsewhere, she would need this capability only in order to achieve serious telephoto from lenses you already have. In my case, I was thinking of using the camera for birding. For example, the 50mm lens I have left over from my film days would act as a 235mm lens on a Q7 or Q-S1.

Last edited by reh321; 11-17-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: factually wrong
11-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The genuine Q-K adapter also has an aperture ring of sorts that allow you to stop down newer lenses that do not have an aperture ring -- some of the third-party ones can do this and some cannot. It also has the option for a removable tripod foot -- I recommend getting the Fanotec alternative rather then the Pentax foot attachment which is hard to acquire anyway: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/218882-fanotec-tripod-foot-p...-lenses-2.html. (The tripod foot is useful for K lenses in the 100-200 range, things that you want steady but are too heavy/unbalanced to be mounted to the tripod head from the Q body alone and don't have their own tripod foot that most 300mm+ lenses will have.)

Basically the real deal Q-K adapter is better in every way, but it is expensive so it is not at all a bad idea to buy a $20 adapter just to see if you actually enjoy using those K lenses on the Q before you go crazy...
11-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
factually
Even Amazon charges $209 for the Pentax adapter, because it is qualitatively different from all the others. I spent several days asking questions before I completely understood what is going on here, so I will try to distil it here:

The Q family is different - that is part of its charm. One largely-unspoken difference is that the body itself contains only an "electronic shutter"; this was originally described to me as being similar to what a point-and-shoot camera provides, but based on experience and testing, I believe it is more primitive than what the cell phones and point-and-shoot cameras I own provide. This "shutter" does not lock the sensor all at once; instead it reads the image one line at a time. The result is a weird type of distortion if fast motion is involved. There is already a thread here discussing this phenomenon; go down to the post by Abbazz for examples showing this phenomenon:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/227148-third-party-lenses-q.html

discIaimer: I do not personally own a Q; I've been asking lots of questions as I slowly decide what to buy for myself, so I am not an expert on this.

Most of the lenses provided for the Q (the ones not denoted as "toy lens") have a built-in mechanical shutter which does have the effect of locking the sensor so this phenomenon does not occur. The adapter provided by Pentax also does provide a mechanical shutter. The third-party ("aftermarket") adapters do not provide an additional shutter, which is why they are so much less expensive than the Pentax adapter is. Those who do own a member of the Q family assure me that this is not an actual problem most of the time; I'm mentioning it here only so that you will understand why the Pentax adapter is so much more expensive; in this case, they are not milking what they can from you - they are providing much more value than anyone else is.

As was said elsewhere, she would need this capability only in order to achieve serious telephoto from lenses you already have. In my case, I was thinking of using the camera for birding. For example, the 50mm lens I have left over from my film days would act as a 235mm lens on a Q7 or Q-S1.
Yes, I realize this, but for many people who wish to play with their PK lenses, the el-cheapo adapter is a good bet.