Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 01:52 PM   #16

About my only complaint with the Q10 is that the 01 lens seems to have dried up worldwide, and there are no other AF primes with the mechanical shutter. Did Pentax find that the primes weren't selling in large enough numbers to justify making more, perhaps?

Quite tempted by the Toy Lens Telephoto and the Mount Shield Lens after watching Blunty's reviews of them on Youtube, but I know they're not in the same league.

Last edited by Dangermouse; 11-17-2014 at 02:00 PM.
11-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I don't understand these 'pocketable' comments. The Original Q was never marketed by Pentax/Ricoh as pocketable and neither is the Q-S1. So complaining that it can't fit it in your pocket is just plain silly.
PENTAX - QS-1 Black
They say 'The world's most compact' - they don't mention anything about pocketable.
A negative review based on the fact that it can't be slipped into your shirt or jeans pocket is a review written by a fool. Simple as that.
If other vendors mentioned pocketable in their own products advertising, then they were just trying to attract sales using keys words to suck people in.
11-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
But the user reviews always consider more than just technical aspects. Like cost, fun factor, ease of use,.. So of course a $300 product with a rating of 9 isn't equivalent to a $1000 product with the same rating of 9.
or a $10 product with a rating of 9
11-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the Q should come with the shield pinhole lens. Not the best image quality, but its the most compact lens.

11-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Newsflash! Person on Internet Posts Unpopular Opinion!

Ignore it and move on.
11-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I don't understand these 'pocketable' comments. The Original Q was never marketed by Pentax/Ricoh as pocketable and neither is the Q-S1. So complaining that it can't fit it in your pocket is just plain silly.
PENTAX - QS-1 Black
They say 'The world's most compact' - they don't mention anything about pocketable.
A negative review based on the fact that it can't be slipped into your shirt or jeans pocket is a review written by a fool. Simple as that.
If other vendors mentioned pocketable in their own products advertising, then they were just trying to attract sales using keys words to suck people in.
No, the word "silly" should be applied to the Pentax marketing effort, if to anyone. Pentax isn't first, not even second, so they need to try really hard. In some sense, the Q family is still a product looking for a niche, and people-who-already-love-Pentax is not a niche to build growth on. If they packaged the Q with a 01, or even smaller lens, they wouldn't have to mention the word "pocketable" ... it would jump into people's minds all on its own.
11-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
PENTAX - QS-1 Black
I agree with you 100%.

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 05:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Newsflash! Person on Internet Posts Unpopular Opinion!

Ignore it and move on.
Its one thing to have an unpopular opinion, its another to disparage something because you are wrong in a factual context.
11-17-2014, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter

Newsflash! Person on Internet Posts Unpopular/Stupid/Misleading Opinion!

Ignore it and move on ;-)

11-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Newsflash! Person on Internet Posts Unpopular/Stupid/Misleading Opinion!

Ignore it and move on ;-)

11-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #25
Site Supporter

PENTAX - QS-1 Black
The bottom line here is what do you mean by 'most compact'??
Most people don't measure the body to the nearest millimeter or the weight to the nearest gram.
To many people, an operational definition of 'compact' is "I can put it in this tiny container, such as my pocket".
I have handled a Sony NEX7 and a Sony A6000, each with their pancake lens.
Of course, the people at the big box store would be heading for the phone to call 911 if I actually attempted to put it into a small container, such as my pocket, but I had a definite feeling that I could.
His reaction may or may not be typical, but the average person will have that kind of thought, and if they can't picture it in their pocket or other small container, all the 'most compact' ad copy in the world won't sell it.
11-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

CR Kennedy, Australian importer of Pentax has the 01 lens on their website for AU$199-.
So what is all the fuss about not available?
11-18-2014, 01:50 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Hmm, my Q came with a 01 and I'd prefer a zoom!
11-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee451 Quote
CR Kennedy, Australian importer of Pentax has the 01 lens on their website for AU$199-.
So what is all the fuss about not available?
I believe that the Q would be a stronger product in the USA if the 01 were bundled with the Q here.
Having to find an Australian dealer and then spend another $200 is not going to make the average American think "compact".
11-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #29
Emperor and Senpai

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Hmm, my Q came with a 01 and I'd prefer a zoom!
I bet there are those on here who would offer a trade!
11-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The bottom line here is what do you mean by 'most compact'??
I'm quoting Ricoh. Not my words.
But surely no-one would argue that it isn't the most compact MILC? (aside from the Lumix GM1 )
No Compact System camera is promoted as pocketable. It's a clear distinction.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Most people don't measure the body to the nearest millimeter or the weight to the nearest gram.
To many people, an operational definition of 'compact' is "I can put it in this tiny container, such as my pocket".
We shouldn't speak for 'most' people and how they interpret what 'compact' means.
The dictionary describes 'compact' as neatly packed, certainly there's nothing to infer that neatly packed means pocketable.

FYI: The Pentax MX-1 is marketted as high-end compact camera.