Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 10:21 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
Calling out the bloke who rated the Q10 a "1"

This is what he wrote:

QuoteQuote:
So I tried to like the q system, I really did, but it has no redeemining qualities what so ever. It's small, but the kit lens is terrible, as is the noise at ISO 100. I wanted something pocketable, but sadly the kit lens prevents that. I had this crazy notion that I'd buy the q10, and then pick up the 01 prime to go with it. Sadly after 3 months, the only lens that makes sense on the q, is the one lens you cannot buy anywhere. If that lens ever appears for sale again, I may change my opinion. Without it, the q system is pointless in my eyes.
So, you wanted something that's "pocketable", yet you are incapable of the mathematics necessary to calculate the size of the Q10 + kit zoom? Who's fault is that?

"Noise at ISO 100" - are you comparing this camera with other 1/2.3"-sensor cameras? All of the professional reviews and member images here demonstrate that the Q10 output is commensurate with similar-sensor cameras.

The 01 lens is readily available from Japan. Those shops ship worldwide.

If your Q10's output is really, really bad, and your images are far worse than what everyone else posts, then perhaps your camera is defective.

..........

Yeah, I realize that I'll probably get an infraction for posting this, and maybe even a ban, but I don't really care. At least I'm keeping it real. Misinformed reviews that cite user error (couldn't figure out the size of the camera) as a camera flaw (its too big) is crap.



11-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,985
I don't think that you will get in trouble ...

I did have a Q a while back and it was one great little camera.
I sold it to fund some "extra" gear for my present K5 + system.

I would have rated my Q at least at 7-8 / 10 so this "review" should totally be disregarded.

Cheers!

JP
11-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,782
Haven't read that review but with online user reviews in general, one has to take these reviews with a grain or two of salt and consider the forum too. When I read that someone is wild about a piece of gear that they've only had for a day or two, I tend to ignore those quite a bit. When I see lots of great reviews for an item and one lemon review, I ask myself, was it the gear or the reviewer? There are lots more things to say about reviews, like who the heck decided that just because you or I own this or that piece of gear, that we are some kind of great critic? That's why detailed reviews (such as the great work presented on this forum) are so helpful and meaningful.

So whoever that person was who did the Q10 review not liked here...just space over it and hope that for that person, writing that review was therapeutic.
11-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
I can get people rating it lowish, but to basically call it garbage (for bad reasons) and give it the lowest rating on the site is blatantly obnoxious. If you're a medium format shooter, like the reviewer, you don't buy a tiny sensor camera and expect the same image quality, if you do you should really take a second thought.

11-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I don't think that you will get in trouble ...
We'll see... I could have been more diplomatic, but sometimes one must speak plainly.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Haven't read that review but with online user reviews in general, one has to take these reviews with a grain or two of salt and consider the forum too. When I read that someone is wild about a piece of gear that they've only had for a day or two, I tend to ignore those quite a bit. When I see lots of great reviews for an item and one lemon review, I ask myself, was it the gear or the reviewer? There are lots more things to say about reviews, like who the heck decided that just because you or I own this or that piece of gear, that we are some kind of great critic? That's why detailed reviews (such as the great work presented on this forum) are so helpful and meaningful.

So whoever that person was who did the Q10 review not liked here...just space over it and hope that for that person, writing that review was therapeutic.
What you are saying is undoubtedly true, but there is a significant number of people who are bottom-line folks, who will look at the overall score and move on without actually reading the reviews.

BTW, I don't have a Q system... I just dislike reviews where the reviewer clearly makes a mistake, and then blames the equipment.

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I can get people rating it lowish, but to basically call it garbage (for bad reasons) and give it the lowest rating on the site is blatantly obnoxious. If you're a medium format shooter, like the reviewer, you don't buy a tiny sensor camera and expect the same image quality, if you do you should really take a second thought.
+1
11-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Emperor and Senpai
VoiceOfReason's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Posts: 5,139
You're not saying anything plenty of people weren't thinking. My Q10 is fine. It obviously will not compare to my APSC cameras, but it is better than the average p&s by far, especially in good light.
11-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,332
Meh, we get reviews like that every once in a while. On lenses, cameras.. usually its someone who has big expectations and little skill. They expect to buy a 5 year old DSLR and start snapping Nat Geo-style photos, or to buy a Q7 and fold it in their wallet like a credit card, to buy a top-class lens for under $300. Reminds me of that comedy skit by Louis CK, about how quickly people get used to space-age technology, and then it suddenly isn't enough, even though such technology was unimaginable only a few decades ago.
11-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,732
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
This is what he wrote:

So, you wanted something that's "pocketable", yet you are incapable of the mathematics necessary to calculate the size of the Q10 + kit zoom? Who's fault is that?

"Noise at ISO 100" - are you comparing this camera with other 1/2.3"-sensor cameras? All of the professional reviews and member images here demonstrate that the Q10 output is commensurate with similar-sensor cameras.

The 01 lens is readily available from Japan. Those shops ship worldwide.

If your Q10's output is really, really bad, and your images are far worse than what everyone else posts, then perhaps your camera is defective.
The one area in which he is basically correct is that a camera that size should be available world wide in a pocketable variant - one should not have to shop in Japan to find a 01 lens, Pentax should sell a kit world wide that includes the 01 lens. Frankly, I would find it more attractive if it came packaged that way at B&H or Adorama or Amazon.

11-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington DC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 418
Maybe that reviewer works for DP Review?
11-17-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
AquaDome's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,405
You just can't do nice things for some people.
I have a Kodak Jiffy Six-20 and an expired (in 1958) roll of Verichrome Panchro for him if he want's "pocketable".
The "sensor size" beats the crap out of FF, and its ASA-125 for no grain.
11-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sunny Dun(ny)fermline, Fife
Posts: 350
I saw the review and was surprised at the rating but ultimately everyone is entitled to their opinion As has been said above it makes sense to be a bit suspicious of reviews both very positive and very negative.
Amazon reviews also often range wildly and often the very negative reviews are as a result of getting a broken item and in many instances are a gripe about unrelated aspect like slow postage
11-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supportaxian
jbondo's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas
Photos: Albums
Posts: 393
Yeah, there are a bunch of wildly optimistic ratings too, and we don't often go calling them out because it's human nature to agree with something that supports what one already has an opinion on . If the intent of calling someone out is to have them change ratings in the system to what you think is realistic, then shaming or confronting them into change is an iffy approach. it seems to me that it would potentially more productive to PM the person and just politely ask them to reconsider and provide your positive reasons. Ultimately though, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I advocate for positive attempts at change rather than shaming or calling out.
11-17-2014, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,332
One suggestion was to not count outlier scores in the average. That way a couple of the "top" and "worst" would be removed to give a more stable result. I don't much care about the numbers, I care more about the content of the review, but I know some people take those numbers to heart
11-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
Yeah, there are a bunch of wildly optimistic ratings too, and we don't often go calling them out because it's human nature to agree with something that supports what one already has an opinion on . If the intent of calling someone out is to have them change ratings in the system to what you think is realistic, then shaming or confronting them into change is an iffy approach. it seems to me that it would potentially more productive to PM the person and just politely ask them to reconsider and provide your positive reasons. Ultimately though, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I advocate for positive attempts at change rather than shaming or calling out.
That's a good point. I see mediocre lenses receive 10's, and I'm thinking wtf...

But in this case, we have very low score given, in part, because the reviewer couldn't reconcile the size of the camera with the size of his pocket, even though he had access to the necessary information for both! So this passes from "opinion" (however unrealistic) to "not paying attention"... in which base he ought to rate himself a 1.

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 03:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
One suggestion was to not count outlier scores in the average. That way a couple of the "top" and "worst" would be removed to give a more stable result. I don't much care about the numbers, I care more about the content of the review, but I know some people take those numbers to heart
Yeah, I'm in favor of eliminating outliers, but I'm sure some people wouldn't like that, and I don't know how involved that would be for Adam to implement.

I agree with you that the content of the review is more important than the numbers, but these days people look to assign a bottom-line number to damn near everything.

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 03:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The one area in which he is basically correct is that a camera that size should be available world wide in a pocketable variant - one should not have to shop in Japan to find a 01 lens, Pentax should sell a kit world wide that includes the 01 lens. Frankly, I would find it more attractive if it came packaged that way at B&H or Adorama or Amazon.
I agree.
11-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,332
QuoteOriginally posted by jbondo Quote
Yeah, there are a bunch of wildly optimistic ratings too, and we don't often go calling them out because it's human nature to agree with something that supports what one already has an opinion on
But the user reviews always consider more than just technical aspects. Like cost, fun factor, ease of use,.. So of course a $300 product with a rating of 9 isn't equivalent to a $1000 product with the same rating of 9.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, care, change, content, digital camera, images, iso, kit, lens, lenses, macro, mirrorless, opinion, output, people, pm, pocket, pocketable, post, primes, q10, ratings, review, reviews, size, system, systems, world
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking Out the "Crappy" Lenses (Take a Swing At Me - I can Take It) OrangeKx Pentax Film SLR Discussion 19 11-08-2014 06:09 AM
Lets Figure Out Who Made Those "Department Store"" Lenses (Sears, JC Penney, etc) Sagitta Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 08-11-2014 10:50 AM
what happen if i shoot with the "back" of the film instead of the "front" ? aurele Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 20 07-03-2013 08:21 AM
The Times: K-x rated as "best for beginners" gazonk Pentax News and Rumors 16 11-04-2009 08:26 AM
The "real" values for the FA 77mm f/1.8 Ltd. Just out of curiosity. bc_the_path Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 06-02-2008 05:34 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top