Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-11-2015, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
You are right that they need a mirror less with a EVF. At my age hold a camera at arms length isn't practical. If you ever tried to view a LCD in bright sun light, you know that it doesn't work well. I refuse to spend very much on a camera without a view finder.
I don't disagree about an EVF IF the camera is mirrorless but they aren't necessary. For the K-01, Q/Q7 or K-3 LV I hold the camera with two hands close to my chin and wear a hat. My arms don't get tired, my platform is stable and I rarely have a problem with LCD washout.

04-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't disagree about an EVF IF the camera is mirrorless but they aren't necessary. For the K-01, Q/Q7 or K-3 LV I hold the camera with two hands close to my chin and wear a hat. My arms don't get tired, my platform is stable and I rarely have a problem with LCD washout.
This is one of those "your mileage may vary" situations. There are those like you who find a method like this that works for them. There are others like me whose eyes won't cope with a solution like this. In my case, I got an inexpensive Chinese-made magnifying hood to use with my Q7.

I also know with absolute certainty that there are those at another photography forum where I'm a regular who won't even look at a camera without some kind of viewfinder, so not providing one automatically eliminates those photographers as potential customers.
04-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We have had this discussion before, but I think your eye issues are somewhat different from most of us over 55 types. It is fairly common to be nearsighted, and very common for aging eyes not to focus on close objects. This makes the back screen very difficult even before you add the washout issue. To really sell a mirrorless ILC today, an EVF is pretty essential for more people than not.
04-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
We have had this discussion before, but I think your eye issues are somewhat different from most of us over 55 types. It is fairly common to be nearsighted, and very common for aging eyes not to focus on close objects. This makes the back screen very difficult even before you add the washout issue. To really sell a mirrorless ILC today, an EVF is pretty essential for more people than not.
First I should have added a 'for me' somewhere in my post - reading it now the post sounds dismissive, but wasn't intended that way.

Second, I don't object to the existence of EVF's. They're fine for what they are, I just don't like them myself. I object to those (not you) who are certain OVF's will disappear and we should just get on with it, as if people like me who want an OVF are holding progress back. Smug superiority gets under my skin.

04-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First I should have added a 'for me' somewhere in my post - reading it now the post sounds dismissive, but wasn't intended that way.

Second, I don't object to the existence of EVF's. They're fine for what they are, I just don't like them myself. I object to those (not you) who are certain OVF's will disappear and we should just get on with it, as if people like me who want an OVF are holding progress back. Smug superiority gets under my skin.
I don't think they will just disappear. I was taking action shots of birds with the K3 in one hand and the Sony A6000 in the other. Outside, in bright light, there was no comparison in the ease of use between the OVF and EVF, and the Sony is a very good one.

One of the nice things about Sony's implementation of the EVF on the Nex series is that it does not stick up anywhere, so there is really no downside to having it. The A7 series has a bit of a bump, like a pentaprism, which makes the EVF actually add to the size.
04-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

And I guess I need to apologize for my apparently mis-reading your issues; I thought you were seeing the end of viewfinders, and thus didn't see any purpose to an EVF. I would rather have an OVF, but that isn't going to happen on an MILC, and I would rather have an excellent EVF than an excellent LCD because the shooting style I have developed over 50+ years works best with some kind of viewfinder.