Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #1

What I Would Like In A Pentax Mirrorless

I love my d100 Super but why doesn't Pentax make an articulated screen? I have loved this feature on my superzoom camera and would buy in a minute if Pentax came out with an APS-C mirrorless with an articulated screen. Oh, and Focus Peaking would be ideal for the long line of Pentax manual-focus lenses.

12-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They started to, in the 645Z and the MX-1. They have had focus peaking in the k-01 as well, just not the best implementation. That being said, focus peaking on my k-3 is pretty good. Very high contrast.
12-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It pains me to say but Samsung's NX line has these plus on-sensor PDAF. I am running an nx300 in 'test mode' with a K adapter, so far so good. I do not want an nx1 but weather seals were unavailable until that body came out.
12-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, good to know. Unfortunately the 645z is out of my price range and too big for me to travel with and the MX-1 has too small a sensor for my preference.

Do you know if the K-01 will do live monitor and control via WiFi either native or with an adapter or if there are other Pentax APS-C cameras that do? I've contemplated using my iPod Touch as a remote monitor to work around this deficiency for overhead and ground level shots.

I've been looking at the Samsung line as well as the Fuji and Sony for my travel camera but the lenses that I want in their native format are more money than I want to spend so I will probably go with micro 4/3 unless Pentax comes out with a camera with this feature before I buy. I do plan to use my Pentax lenses with an adapter with whatever I buy though so focus peaking is a must.

12-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Inactive Account

We need a full frame mirror less
12-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
That would be nice and would be a great advantage with all the Pentax lenses out there that cover 35mm. But I would be concerned about making it too expensive if the choice were between doing only APS-C or full frame. I don't really want to spend more than $5-600 for a camera body for this hobby and I would imagine there are many people for whom anything more than $1000-1500 would be out of the question. But if we could have both an APS-C and a full frame, that would be great.
12-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bhorn Quote
Thanks, good to know. Unfortunately the 645z is out of my price range and too big for me to travel with and the MX-1 has too small a sensor for my preference.

Do you know if the K-01 will do live monitor and control via WiFi either native or with an adapter or if there are other Pentax APS-C cameras that do? I've contemplated using my iPod Touch as a remote monitor to work around this deficiency for overhead and ground level shots.
It will not. That capability began with the K3.

04-07-2015, 04:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Chang Quote
We need a full frame mirror less
I would like to see a FF mirror less Pentax, with a shallow body that uses an adapter for PK lenses. This would allow for a line of compact FF lenses, while retaining the use of the DSLR PK/M42 lenses. The adapter would contain the screw drive motor and electronic pass through. Of course it would have a EVF and focus peeking along with focus magnify.
04-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
I would like to see a FF mirror less Pentax, with a shallow body that uses an adapter for PK lenses. This would allow for a line of compact FF lenses, while retaining the use of the DSLR PK/M42 lenses. The adapter would contain the screw drive motor and electronic pass through. Of course it would have a EVF and focus peeking along with focus magnify.
Actually, you could skip the Pentax body if Pentax or someone would make this adapter for Pentax K rather than Sony A lenses to mount on the AR7 series. Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter with Translucent LAEA4 B&H

I really think Pentax will have its hands full with lenses for the new FF DSLR, without adding a new mirrorless mount.
04-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Since Pentax already has the Q family, I really believe they would be best off "prototyping" these features on the Q-family before trying to develop an entirely new family with yet another family of lenses.
04-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I would like to see a FF mirror less Pentax, with a shallow body that uses an adapter for PK lenses. This would allow for a line of compact FF lenses, while retaining the use of the DSLR PK/M42 lenses. The adapter would contain the screw drive motor and electronic pass through. Of course it would have a EVF and focus peeking along with focus magnify
I agree after having seen the Sony A7 products. Add an articulating screen with the focus peaking and you've got me. But i would settle for an APS-C sensor as well
04-09-2015, 06:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Actually, you could skip the Pentax body if Pentax or someone would make this adapter for Pentax K rather than Sony A lenses to mount on the AR7 series. Sony A-Mount to E-Mount Lens Adapter with Translucent LAEA4 B&H

I really think Pentax will have its hands full with lenses for the new FF DSLR, without adding a new mirrorless mount.
I actually own two such cameras. The Sony A7R and the A7II with in body IS like my K5II.

---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 08:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Since Pentax already has the Q family, I really believe they would be best off "prototyping" these features on the Q-family before trying to develop an entirely new family with yet another family of lenses.
You are right that they need a mirror less with a EVF. At my age hold a camera at arms length isn't practical. If you ever tried to view a LCD in bright sun light, you know that it doesn't work well. I refuse to spend very much on a camera without a view finder.
04-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

You are right that they need a mirror less with a EVF. At my age hold a camera at arms length isn't practical. If you ever tried to view a LCD in bright sun light, you know that it doesn't work well. I refuse to spend very much on a camera without a view finder.
Yes, I refuse to take pictures in zombie mode. In my case, I bought a Q7 only after finding an inexpensive hoodman clone that I could modify to work with it, because a camera that won't work for me in bright sun-light is of little use to me; some here are very tired of hearing complaints about the lack of an EVF; my opinion is that the Q needs to reach out to those who are not already users, but since I have found a solution that works for me, I'm satisfied with letting Ricoh-Pentax decide whether they want other customers as well.
04-10-2015, 02:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've been using a mate-ettes new A7s, using a 'dumb' adaptor to put my K-A and K-M primes in front of it for video production.
Focus peaking is nearly perfect on the A7s, and the low-light capacity is fantastic, as are the colours out of the box.
The S-log curves make it very easy to get Cinematic quality footage from the combination of modern camera and classic lenses.

Any new MILC from Pentax would need to match the A7s in everything except low-light performance if it was to have a snowballs chance of being a success.

And having HDMI to record HD and 4K from,.... is just a joy.

I'd be happy if the K-01 could be modded to dump the sensor output straight to the HDMI, avoiding the SD card and internal compression altogether.
04-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I've been using a mate-ettes new A7s, using a 'dumb' adaptor to put my K-A and K-M primes in front of it for video production.
Focus peaking is nearly perfect on the A7s, and the low-light capacity is fantastic, as are the colours out of the box.
The S-log curves make it very easy to get Cinematic quality footage from the combination of modern camera and classic lenses.

Any new MILC from Pentax would need to match the A7s in everything except low-light performance if it was to have a snowballs chance of being a success.

And having HDMI to record HD and 4K from,.... is just a joy.

I'd be happy if the K-01 could be modded to dump the sensor output straight to the HDMI, avoiding the SD card and internal compression altogether.
That may be true for your needs, but Sony is selling a lot of A7 models other than the A7S, so not everyone seems to accept the trade off in resolution for low light performance as necessary. I don't think an A7s clone is the only way to go.

---------- Post added 04-11-15 at 12:57 PM ----------

I actually own two such cameras. The Sony A7R and the A7II with in body IS like my K5II.

---------- Post added 04-09-15 at 08:27 PM ----------

So, all you would need would be for someone to make a Pentax K to FE mount like the A mount adapter, and life is good.

I also agree that holding a camera at arm's length is not practical. The only time I use the screen on my A6000 is at waist level on a pod.