Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #1

Nx3000 compared to the Q

I popped into a shop and had a play with a Samsung NX3000 yesterday, and it both made me both appreciate my Q and also despair about the Q.
Firstly the body size seems about the same, the camera plus kit lens was going for 200 so it already costs less than the Q S-1.
Build quality was on par with the Q S-1, maybe a little worse, its grip was rubbish but still better than the S-1's tiny nob.
What amazed me was they had manged to fit a nice screen that flipped upwards (Seriously the Q needs this) also Wifi, NFC, longer battery life and of cause a huge sensor, and its still cheaper than the Q!
The handling and menu was worse then the Q's although Samsung have done a good enough job.
The advantage of the Q became apparent in the lenses, already the NX3000 24-75 kit lens felt too big and unbalanced (and plasticity), but when i removed it and tried on the kit 50-200 it became horrible! the thing's huge and so impracticable, and that is the problem with it, if you want to keep it small and light you only have a tiny choice of lenses with the Samsung.

The experience really made me appreciate how wonderfully tiny the Q's lenses are and how it makes such a huge difference, but also how the Q lacks a lot of features that can be successfully integrated into a camera the same size.

I am hoping the Q gets an update next year with at least a flip up screen.

Last edited by sapporodan; 12-23-2014 at 10:34 AM.
12-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have come to realize that features take up space. Designers and manufacturers play the game of figuring out what goes where. The Q has IBIS and that takes up space where Samsung used it for a flip screen. Samsung moved their image stabilization to the lens, I think. That makes their lenses bigger than the Q's. If Ricoh starts adding more features like an EVF, flip screen, touch screen, etc then the Q will grow and it will no longer a Q. It will be something with a Q mount. That might be where the Q goes eventually, Like Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Ricoh may one day have two Q models but they have to be a stronger player before they can support two Q models (engineering resources, manufacturing resources, marketing, etc).
12-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Larger Sensor = Larger Lenses
There are some clever designs that minimize size but with current technology lens size is proportionate to sensor size.
I just got my Q7. I'm amazed at the improvement in image quality and autofocus speed. I know there are many mirrorless cameras with better performance but for me the Q is a magic combination of size, capability, and handling. I haven't found that in another system.

Lee
12-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
If Ricoh starts adding more features like an EVF, flip screen, touch screen, etc then the Q will grow and it will no longer a Q. It will be something with a Q mount. That might be where the Q goes eventually, Like Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Ricoh may one day have two Q models but they have to be a stronger player before they can support two Q models (engineering resources, manufacturing resources, marketing, etc).
For whatever it's worth, I wouldn't mind seeing that happen. A bigger and more full-featured Q-mount camera might be pretty cool.

12-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
I am hoping the Q gets an update next year with at least a flip up screen.
Last week I bought a "used like new" (yellow) Q7+02+06 for $280 via Amazon. I had considered waiting to see what a new Q might be like, but I decided that, at least initially, it would cost more than I was willing to spend, and I had figured out how to work around the issues I saw with the Q-line.

A tilt screen originally ranked high on my list, but then I started asking myself what I would actually do with it. Originally I saw two ways in which I would use it - (1) holding the camera over my head so I could take pictures in a crowd (2) holding the camera at waist level to take pictures while appearing to be doing nothing in particular. After trying several new cameras, I decided they provide a good enough view at sharp angle that I could accomplish (1) without tilt, so I'm not sure tilt would be that tremendous a marketing point to get me to buy a camera now.
12-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

After using Canon G12 for almost three years, I used the tilt/swivel screen once or twice perhaps. For me, it is NOT indispensable.
12-31-2014, 06:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
After using Canon G12 for almost three years, I used the tilt/swivel screen once or twice perhaps. For me, it is NOT indispensable.
But at least it was there when you did need it (twice ). I really needed a tilting screen this Christmas, I was trying to do a family photo and to get everyone in I had to place the camera against the wall, It was a pain in the backside not seeing the screen! I ended up pushing the camera forward and using a mirror to see what i was doing!