Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 07:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How big is the image of EVFs

One thing I love about a FF camera is the FOV. I have a P30t 35mm film SLR that has such a large image in the viewfinder that I almost have to push my eye closer into the viewfinder to see the whole image, otherwise its blocked by the frame of the viewfinder.

With my K5ii cropping the image, the image is smaller of course but it feels a bit like looking at a screen rather than looking out a window - know what I mean?

I'm wondering if the EVF technology out there gives a big FOV or not. Are there cameras with nice big EVF images?

Thanks

12-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You will have to try them out yourself, I find for me there is a point where the differences don't really change a lot.
Like you said if it is too big seeing the whole thing is difficult even without glasses, the Lumix G3 is a little
larger than the K5 and I prefer the EVF option with a smaller picture and the info below it just for that reason.
Tried a Sony A7 and it was like looking at a large PC screen close up, having to look around to see it all.
Prefer to see it all at once with a smaller screen, it's hard to envision a shot quickly if I have to pan around.
Also in bright sunlight any light leak around the eye greatly affects the ability to see it.
12-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #3
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the a7 series does a lousy job of blocking sunlight from getting in around the evf.

one thing people do to fix that is stretch a nikon dk-19(?) rubber eyecup around the a7 eyecup... it works pretty well.
01-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For whatever it's worth... I grabbed my OM-D E-M5 and my K-5 II and compared them side by side.

I think the E-M5's EVF has a little more apparent size and it gives me more comfortable eye relief when wearing glasses. It's not a dramatic difference though. Actually, I think the view into the EVF is only a hair wider than the K-5 II's viewfinder, but it's taller because of the 4:3 aspect ratio.

By comparison, my old Ricoh XR-7 (35mm film SLR) gives me a huge and beautiful view.