Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
It the same thing that left handed people often have to overcome; many tools are designed to be used right handed and to use them left handed often requires extraordinary adaptability that sometimes borders on the comical. Incidentally, a camera is one of those tools, particularly when used at eye-level.
I am left-handed, and I have simply learned to exist with the tools they give me. Pressing the shutter button has been a responsibility of my right hand (and holding/focusing the lens has been a responsibility of my left hand) for so long (nearly 60 years by now) that I doubt if I could do it any other way.

01-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #17
Pentaxian

My mid-upper-fiftiness also makes the lower shots tough without some assistance* especially with a flush screen. Tip/flip screens are a good thing that Pentax has finally made use of in the 645Z. Selfies seem to have caught on as an "art form" in a hurry; Samsung's nx300 has a tip screen that suits me well, but almost immediately they brought out a flippy nx300m for the selfie crowd..

* Yes it looks like a tripod, but I only carry it so I can get up from a squatting position. You mean I can actually attach my camera to it?

edit L/R -- I have retrained myself to shoot right-eyed now but that transition was tough! Using the big screen saddens me but for using both eyes and not interfering with my glasses it has made life a bit easier. This old dog can learn one or two more new tricks, but then I'm done!
01-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
* Yes it looks like a tripod, but I only carry it so I can get up from a squatting position. You mean I can actually attach my camera to it?
I've noticed that a local camera store sells a walking-stick/monopod; that may be my next purchase since it could help me get up from the floor/ground as well as help steady my Q7 when I try to take pictures of wildlife using an adapted lens.
01-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

reh321 - I have one of those that I've used for hiking quite a bit. I haven't used it much as a camera attachment, but it sure has been useful crossing streams & helping me up!

01-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #20

I'm getting on a bit. Getting low is really easy. I've yet to find a way to get back up though.
View finders are overrated. My Q7 don't have one, my Sony A6000 does. I have a choice. My choice is usually not to use it.
01-02-2015, 03:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That's why you have knees and a back so you can go low even with an eye level finder.
Chest level? Heap level?
Both these positions are either unreachable or just not steady enough with eye level.
01-02-2015, 05:57 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Both these positions are either unreachable or just not steady enough with eye level
Then you have issues with photographic technique that need to be addressed. A bad tradesman blames his tools.

01-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Then you have issues with photographic technique that need to be addressed. A bad tradesman blames his tools.
So, may be you tell us how do shoot from chest or hip level with eye level viewfinder, Mr good tradesman? I'm a collector of stupid jokes, waiting for a new one btw
01-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Chest level? Heap level?
Both these positions are either unreachable or just not steady enough with eye level.
One of my first cameras was a Kodak Duaflex - I didn't use it very long because it used 620 film, which was becoming hard to find. It's viewfinder was on the top - a mirror reflected the image up to it and the user looked down into it. In recent years, as I started scanning those pictures, I was reminded how much difficulty I had in getting them level; for whatever reason, personally I've always found it easier to level the camera when using an eye-level viewfinder.
01-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

So, may be you tell us how do shoot from chest or hip level with eye level viewfinder, Mr good tradesman? I'm a collector of stupid jokes, waiting for a new one btw
I shoot from the hip all the time (well, OK, some of the time). If you know your lenses, and you practice a bit you won't even need to crouch (or even use the viewfinder). Just point, shoot, then fix your horizons in post.

Think of it as the photography version of those old westerns where the cowboy plugs the local outlaws by simply drawing his gun and shooting at waist level. The tricky part I've found isn't so much keeping the horizons level, its keeping the camera pointed at a roughly parallel angle to the ground so you don't wind up shooting a sky/dirt shot.

These are both shots I think I remember doing that trick with, then corrected the invariably slanted horzon in post.

Sometimes I don't even bother correcting the horizon, because the shot works even off kilter. I absolutely love using the camera this way in 'toy' mode with random cross processing settings.

In my experience, the trick is mostly to brace the camera with the neckstrap just right and use it as a makeshift reverse-tripod of sorts to keep things steady (and somewhat level-ish) and shoot from the chest. The taut strap will help add support, and will reduce 'wobble' to the left and right somewhat. If you use live view, you can lean back and sort of get an idea of composition as well by holding the camera away from you a bit.
01-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Wait, was shooting from the hip what you were talking about when you write "...It is easy: they force photogs into eye level composition trap, which in some cases can be plain wrong. For instance, eye level shooting is wrong for torso and full length portraits with normal and wide angle lenses..." in the op?...

My English is worse than I thought... I tend to agree with Digitalis' post. When I was shooting with the Fuji system, I remember being more 'refined', or good-mannered - if I'm making any sense - on the positions I would assume with the camera in my eye. I've returned to the DSLR world in a couple of weeks, and the second day I was already lying on the floor shooting upwards...
01-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Actually, I have a Pentax right angle viewer that I modified to fit the K-50. It works very well, but it isn't particularly convenient to use.
I don't have one myself, but have always wondered how it worked. Thanks!
01-05-2015, 06:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't find an eye level finder evil or constraining, but there are some things which are easier with a tilt down finder--just ask my cat after the A6000 has been in her face too many times.
01-05-2015, 01:23 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Troll

I think Emacs has been trolling you guys and most of you didn't take the bait.
01-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Bad back and bad knees, that's why this old goat loves his MX-1.
Closed Thread