Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 11:03 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

"Eye level viewfinders are evil"?

That is rather an extreme statement for the normally civil comments on this forum.

Let's see why it is also wrong.

An eye level finder has the following advantages over a rear LCD screen:

1. The user can adopt a strong braced position with far less camera shake than holding a camera with partially outstretched arms.
2. Eye level view finders can be used in bright sunlight without emulating 19th century photographers by placing a black cloth over one' head.
3. Optical eye level finders unlike LCD screens are nor vulnerable to changes in atmospheric pressure, as I found to my cost in the Himalayas. Once my screen had failed I was shooting blind.

Evil? No!
The only advantage I can see of a screen is saving cost and weight. The technology of mirror less belongs to smartphones, not semi pro cameras.

02-20-2016, 11:17 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tad1952 Quote
"Eye level viewfinders are evil"?

That is rather an extreme statement for the normally civil comments on this forum.

Let's see why it is also wrong.

An eye level finder has the following advantages over a rear LCD screen:
The OP was not comparing the LCD to a viewfinder. He was lamenting that using the viewfinder at eye-level possibly provides less-optimal results than at different height, such as waist level.

The OP could use different equipment, including bodies with tiltable LCDs, of course.
02-21-2016, 01:11 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
It the same thing that left handed people often have to overcome; many tools are designed to be used right handed and to use them left handed often requires extraordinary adaptability that sometimes borders on the comical. Incidentally, a camera is one of those tools, particularly when used at eye-level.

Those of us with more limited physical abilities have to learn to adapt but the point of my remark above is that just saying "use your back and knees" doesn't work with everyone. Obviously there are ways to get around such limitations, but it does require adaptability, imagination and motivation and is not always as simple as it appears on its face.
As left handed, left eye dominant person, you ain't just whistling Dixie... Lol.
02-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To me both the flat LCD screen and OVF/EVF are eye level finders. They are constraining, requiring skills at shooting from the hip without a finder to get some shots.

Until I got a camera with a tilting screen, I never cared much at all for the LCD. Many of us over 50 cannot easily focus on an LCD held at eye level, so an eye level LCD is evil to me.

Any finder is evil if it forces you to a particular perspective. It is why I often wear a K3 on a strap with a longer lens and carry an A6000 in my photo vest pocket with a shorter lens. The K1 could be a game changer.

02-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
It is easy: they force photogs into eye level composition trap, which in some cases can be plain wrong.
For instance, eye level shooting is wrong for torso and full length portraits with normal and wide angle lenses.
They are awesome for certain situations like macro when you are face down in the dirt! darkside
02-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
It is easy: they force photogs into eye level composition trap, which in some cases can be plain wrong.
For instance, eye level shooting is wrong for torso and full length portraits with normal and wide angle lenses.
OK, so you have stated a problem. Do you have an answer?
02-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The best digital cameras give you a choice of eye-level viewfinder, and a flippy screen.

I guess that is the message.
02-26-2016, 06:16 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Tad brought a 14 month old thread back from the dead that was more troll bait at the time than serious discussion.

Closed Thread