Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 06:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

eye level viewfinders are evil.

It is easy: they force photogs into eye level composition trap, which in some cases can be plain wrong.
For instance, eye level shooting is wrong for torso and full length portraits with normal and wide angle lenses.

01-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always used a tlr when shooting weddings and portraits. Great for group shots but not so easy for a head and shoulders shot.
01-01-2015, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

That's why you have knees and a back so you can go low even with an eye level finder.
01-01-2015, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
That's why you have knees and a back so you can go low even with an eye level finder.

You younger folks have knees and a back while some of us may have the appearance but little more. I've started taking a folding chair with me whenever it's feasible. Watching me get up from a kneeling or sitting on the ground position is not for the faint of heart. A tilt out liveview screen would be a godsend; that's the one thing from my Nikon bridge camera that I miss.

01-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Actually, I have a Pentax right angle viewer that I modified to fit the K-50. It works very well, but it isn't particularly convenient to use.
01-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
You younger folks have knees and a back while some of us may have the appearance but little more. I've started taking a folding chair with me whenever it's feasible. Watching me get up from a kneeling or sitting on the ground position is not for the faint of heart.
I can still remember back in the day, when I could just stand up from any position.

01-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I was going to say the same...
01-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
You younger folks have knees and a back while some of us may have the appearance but little more. I've started taking a folding chair with me whenever it's feasible. Watching me get up from a kneeling or sitting on the ground position is not for the faint of heart. A tilt out liveview screen would be a godsend; that's the one thing from my Nikon bridge camera that I miss.
With the new hip I'm quite comfortable kneeling, prone or standing. It's that mid-range when those damned kids (anyone under fifty) ask me if I need help that annoy me.
But I still like to get the lower angle wherever possible.
01-01-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Still, a majority of the photographers can use an eye-level finder that way so to say that "they force photogs into eye level composition trap" is simply plain wrong for most.
01-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Originally posted by VisualDarkness That's why you have knees and a back so you can go low even with an eye level finder.

I was going to say the same... "

Not all of us can use our knees and back readily! I have a fractured #7 vertebrae that then collapsed in my back, and both knees are bone on bone. I absolutely cannot get down on my knees, period!!!

However, I still enjoy my photography immensely! One must make do, with what they have!
01-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
...Not all of us can use our knees and back readily! I have a fractured #7 vertebrae that then collapsed in my back, and both knees are bone on bone. I absolutely cannot get down on my knees, period!!!

However, I still enjoy my photography immensely! One must make do, with what they have!...
I'm very sorry to hear that, however, my post was directed towards the OP's statement that "...they force photogs into eye level composition trap...".
01-01-2015, 09:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It the same thing that left handed people often have to overcome; many tools are designed to be used right handed and to use them left handed often requires extraordinary adaptability that sometimes borders on the comical. Incidentally, a camera is one of those tools, particularly when used at eye-level.

Those of us with more limited physical abilities have to learn to adapt but the point of my remark above is that just saying "use your back and knees" doesn't work with everyone. Obviously there are ways to get around such limitations, but it does require adaptability, imagination and motivation and is not always as simple as it appears on its face.
01-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Originally posted by VisualDarkness That's why you have knees and a back so you can go low even with an eye level finder.

Not all of us can use our knees and back readily! I have a fractured #7 vertebrae that then collapsed in my back, and both knees are bone on bone. I absolutely cannot get down on my knees, period!!!
I guess we all age differently.

I have issues with my back such that it is much easier for me to get on my knees than for me to bend 90 degrees at the waist.
Today, 45 degrees isn't going to happen (I wish I knew how I offended it two daze ago!)

However, I still enjoy my photography immensely! One must make do, with what they have!
Yes!
Yes!!
Yes!!!
01-01-2015, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

What I was aiming at was the false statement that it "forces" you to shoot at eye-level, which is false for the big majority. It's like stating that waist level finders forces you to shoot from frog perspective, which is just as false. People should use whatever suits them and fills their needs the best but don't shoot down different finders with false statements.
Closed Thread