Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2015, 03:12 AM   #16
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
Didn't Sony buy them then re-badge them into the Alpha SLR's? Unless a company bought the name from Sony like JK Imaging did with Kodak I cant see it happening. Would be nice to see though.
Konica-Minolta still patent lens designs for m4/3 but some people think they are eventually sold as Olympus lenses. I've always found it strange that they still have a photo gallery in Tokyo, as if they want to stay in the photography business. However, they don't have a booth at CP+, so it seems unlikely in the context of this message.

I still think Casio is the prime candidate, but I'd be happy to see Ricoh join m4/3. The diversity of lenses available in that mount is really impressive.

02-03-2015, 04:36 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see it. As others have said, Pentax already has three mounts. And if they add full frame (I expect them to do so), then that means four mounts to support (although of course, both APS-C and full frame would both be k mount, they would still require different lens line ups).
02-03-2015, 05:12 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agree it's unlikely, but you could brand it Ricoh and make only a single kit lens for it - which a lot of buyers never add to. For everyone else, there'd be all the Panny and Olly glass lineups.
02-03-2015, 05:42 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Agree it's unlikely, but you could brand it Ricoh and make only a single kit lens for it - which a lot of buyers never add to. For everyone else, there'd be all the Panny and Olly glass lineups.
Camera companies make cameras to sell lenses, not to sell lenses for other companies.

02-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Konica-Minolta
You mean Sony?

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
what does it do for them financially?
Not much, I'd say. The market is asking more for a FF than a m4/3 if Ricoh actually decides to invest in a new mount. m4/3 partners aren't exactly rolling in piles of cash these days.
02-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Japan M4/3 camera and lens sales are increasing; DSLR sales are decreasing. The Q is popular in Japan, but from a photographer's point of view it would be nice to have a Q-sized camera with a 4/3 sensor.
02-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't see it. As others have said, Pentax already has three mounts. And if they add full frame (I expect them to do so), then that means four mounts to support (although of course, both APS-C and full frame would both be k mount, they would still require different lens line ups).
Why would they require different lens lines??
Canikon users of APS-C cameras routinely use lenses designed for FF.
Pentax could easily release only lenses designed for FF in the future.
APS-C users would have a choice between purchasing from the currently-available line or from the FF line.

02-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexcox Quote
In Japan M4/3 camera and lens sales are increasing; DSLR sales are decreasing. The Q is popular in Japan, but from a photographer's point of view it would be nice to have a Q-sized camera with a 4/3 sensor.
The GM1 is smaller that the Q, but try to put anything other than its kit lens on...
02-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why would they require different lens lines??
Canikon users of APS-C cameras routinely use lenses designed for FF.
Pentax could easily release only lenses designed for FF in the future.
APS-C users would have a choice between purchasing from the currently-available line or from the FF line.
The problem is several fold. It is an entirely different mount. To use existing APS-C lenses on a micro four thirds camera would require either an adapter or to release the current lenses with a separate mount (which would get confusing). Part of the point of the micro four thirds mount is the decrease in lens sizes you get from a shorter registration distance -- this would not be the case with current APS-C lenses. Finally, the crop factor means that there are no lenses in the system that are really wide enough for that size sensor. You really want some thing in the 6 to 7 mm range for wide angle purposes.

As to full frame, if pentax releases it, certainly the current DA lenses will not go away, as APS-C isn't going to suddenly vanish. They will continue to be sold as APS-C lenses (most brands have a group of lenses that are APS-C only). However, I doubt that there would be any new APS-C lenses released in that situation, with new lens development going to full frame lenses.

Obviously, you can mount either DA or DFA lenses on any k mount camera without an adapter, the results that you get would then depend on the lens.
02-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The problem is several fold. It is an entirely different mount. To use existing APS-C lenses on a micro four thirds camera would require either an adapter or to release the current lenses with a separate mount (which would get confusing). Part of the point of the micro four thirds mount is the decrease in lens sizes you get from a shorter registration distance -- this would not be the case with current APS-C lenses. Finally, the crop factor means that there are no lenses in the system that are really wide enough for that size sensor. You really want some thing in the 6 to 7 mm range for wide angle purposes.

As to full frame, if pentax releases it, certainly the current DA lenses will not go away, as APS-C isn't going to suddenly vanish. They will continue to be sold as APS-C lenses (most brands have a group of lenses that are APS-C only). However, I doubt that there would be any new APS-C lenses released in that situation, with new lens development going to full frame lenses.

Obviously, you can mount either DA or DFA lenses on any k mount camera without an adapter, the results that you get would then depend on the lens.
Apparently I wasn't clear.

In responding to your first post, I meant to say that Pentax would have at most three lines of lenses they were actively supporting, regardless of whether or not they have a FF camera:
(1) Q
(2) m43
(3) APS-C and FF

I see you saying the same thing here, now, so maybe the two ends of Indiana really are saying the same thing now?
02-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In responding to your first post, I meant to say that Pentax would have at most three lines of lenses they were actively supporting, regardless of whether or not they have a FF camera:
(1) Q
(2) m43
(3) APS-C and FF

I see you saying the same thing here, now, so maybe the two ends of Indiana really are saying the same thing now?
I was including 645D/Z as one of their mounts.
02-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(1) Q
(2) m43
(3) APS-C and FF

I was including 645D/Z as one of their mounts.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Pentax is committed to Q, K and 645 mounts. Adding a fourth would be crazy.
They've said what Sandy and Rondec say many, many times. Like it or not, Pentax is Q, K and 645.
02-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #28
Banned

Even before the Q came I thought this would be a great idea. Now that m4/3th is a grown system the investment to make is small and you can deliver your customers lots of options. I think it is a good plan today. Not that I think it is going to happen. My guess would be that it's a Ricoh and not a Pentax.
02-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
My guess would be that it's a Ricoh and not a Pentax.
If you were talking about a fixed lens FF I would agree.
02-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Camera companies make cameras to sell lenses, not to sell lenses for other companies.
Sony, Panasonic, Fuji and Olympus have incomplete lens lineups and their executives know buyers need to go to third party and adapters to supplement them, Boris.

There's a type of customer who never buys an additional lens, so this could be pitched at them.

For LBA sufferers, there are already the K, Q and 645 mounts.

This does all seem academic, though. I wouldn't bet two dollars on this happening. :-)