Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could Ricoh join m4/3 at CP+?

The micro four thirds consortium has announced that a new member will join at CP+.
One more company will join the Micro Four Thirds system soon! | 43 Rumors

When you consider who this could be, it is quite interesting. According to my line of thinking, it has to be a company that:
- isn't already a member
- is an exhibitor at CP+
- doesn't have a similar system already

Most third party lens makers already make lenses for the mount, but pehaps a lens maker is the most likely explanation.

If it's a camera maker, most of them are ruled out by the criteria I mentioned above. It's been suggested on other forms that it could be a new entrant like LG or Konica-Minolta, but no likely candidates are on the exhibitor list at CP+.

That leaves Casio and Ricoh. My money would be on Casio, because they have released a couple of more serious cameras recently.

But I think there is an outside chance that Ricoh could step into m4/3 as a replacement for the GXR system, or even as a new unit within the GXR system. Some would say that the Q is their mirrorless camera, but I think it targets a much more casual user than a Ricoh m4/3 camera would.

02-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The size and balance of m4/3 system definitely fits with their (Pentax's) design philosophy. They aren't as off balanced as APS-C w/ long lenses. M4/3 def feel like a larger Q system. The only thing is coming in this late in the game, what does it do for them financially? There are plenty of lenses already and selling camera bodies alone isn't going to be that profitable.
02-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's probably Kodak, which produces a 4/3rds camera and lenses, but is not listed as a part of consortium.
02-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #4
JPT
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think it works both ways. If they come up with compelling lenses, they have a pre-existing market to sell them into. The proportions of m4/3 are almost perfect for a GXR-sized body.

---------- Post added 02-03-15 at 01:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
It's probably Kodak, which produces a 4/3rds camera and lenses, but is not listed as a part of consortium.
They're already a member. They aren't listed here because they aren't coming to CP+.

02-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not going to happen.
02-02-2015, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

An m4/3 sensor in a Q body would be nice though...
02-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is committed to Q, K and 645 mounts. Adding a fourth would be crazy.

02-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt it.. not much advantage to have something in between the Q series and the APS-C K series.
02-03-2015, 01:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Konica Minolta is Rumored to Be Developing Micro Four Thirds Lenses - The Phoblographer
02-03-2015, 02:57 AM   #10

That would be fantastic, I think it would suit Pentax/Ricoh well, but I cant believe it will ever happen.

Most likely the new company will be another video manufacturer like BlackMagic, but I would so love to see Sigma or Casio to join though.

Does anyone even know what happened to Kodak, they released the Pixpro S-1, the reviews were not that bad, and then it completely vanished! I cant even find them on ebay!
02-03-2015, 03:00 AM   #11
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
That would be fantastic, I think it would suit Pentax/Ricoh well, but I cant believe it will ever happen.

Most likely the new company will be another video manufacturer like BlackMagic, but I would so love to see Sigma or Casio to join though.

Does anyone even know what happened to Kodak, they released the Pixpro S-1, the reviews were not that bad, and then it completely vanished! I cant even find them on ebay!
Sigma is already part of the club.
02-03-2015, 03:02 AM   #12

Didn't Sony buy them then re-badge them into the Alpha SLR's? Unless a company bought the name from Sony like JK Imaging did with Kodak I cant see it happening. Would be nice to see though.
02-03-2015, 03:04 AM   #13
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The micro four thirds consortium has announced that a new member will join at CP+.
One more company will join the Micro Four Thirds system soon! | 43 Rumors

When you consider who this could be, it is quite interesting. According to my line of thinking, it has to be a company that:
- isn't already a member
- is an exhibitor at CP+
- doesn't have a similar system already

Most third party lens makers already make lenses for the mount, but pehaps a lens maker is the most likely explanation.

If it's a camera maker, most of them are ruled out by the criteria I mentioned above. It's been suggested on other forms that it could be a new entrant like LG or Konica-Minolta, but no likely candidates are on the exhibitor list at CP+.

That leaves Casio and Ricoh. My money would be on Casio, because they have released a couple of more serious cameras recently.

But I think there is an outside chance that Ricoh could step into m4/3 as a replacement for the GXR system, or even as a new unit within the GXR system. Some would say that the Q is their mirrorless camera, but I think it targets a much more casual user than a Ricoh m4/3 camera would.
amazon is my guess
02-03-2015, 03:06 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
Sigma is already part of the club.
Sorry my fault I meant the Sigma Cameras, they already have those fantastic Art DN lenses out (Reminds me I need to buy that 60mm at some point!).
02-03-2015, 03:11 AM   #15
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
Sorry my fault I meant the Sigma Cameras, they already have those fantastic Art DN lenses out (Reminds me I need to buy that 60mm at some point!).
That 60mm is compatible with Sony E-mount APS-C. Maybe a slightly altered version of it will become available in K-mount at some point. I am not a big fan of the 2x crop factor of m4/3 anyway.