Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2016, 04:57 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Looks like Ricoh do not actually offer what would be you ideal system, but others do. Have you had a look at Fuji or Sony?
I had, a few times indeed. The problem is my most used lens, the one that take the most shoot is the 77 and then the 15. So I would like, at least something equivalent to 15, 35, 77 with serious option on a 24 and 135mm, APSC equivalent for reach.

m4/3 can do that more or less and stay small. The cost would be quite similar as current APSC line, and the quality down a signficantl bit. The thing are in term of color rendering, constrast, thing that are instantly visible, the m4/3 line doesn"t look like it provide something comparable to the ltds.

Fuji and Sony are both significantly more expensive to match what I need. Fuji would do a better job for around 15 and 24mm, that 100% true but to get some lens around 70-90mm and another one at 135mm is huge and heavy. Sony APSC lenses are a joke, the FF one I'd need at least the 36MP body or up to 200mm to get the reach. All in all this would be bigger and cost twice my current system too.

Remember? You choose the lenses first, the camera second. The overall best line up of small lenses are from m4/3 and Pentax. Pentax would need for me improved 15 and 21 for APSC and a modern small 135mm. Sony/Fuji don't have anything worthwhile for my needs past 35mm.

So from my point of view, there isn't enough incentive to swtich. We know Pentax will provide a set of new lenses in the coming years. There also a chance that they provide some K02 one day. I would say something like 50% even if it just my personal bet. Until Fuji/Sony provide something that ressemble an FA77 on APSC for actual size/reach and subject isolation (so say f/2.8 on Sony FF) there really no reason to rush.

The price of all that stuff will go down in the mean time... So I don't know why I should move in particular if I happen to invest on the wrong system. Maybe going Fuji while Sony decide to make a set of small prime or going Sony while Fuji decide to release a panckage like moderate tele (maybe like the 70 f/2.4). Or maybe switching while just after Pentax release a K02 and a new WA prime that would improve on field curvature.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 07-03-2016 at 05:07 AM.
07-03-2016, 05:33 AM   #32
Pentaxian

To proove you I am not against FF. Make that mirorless FF. Let the EVF narrow the view to the actual area your lens can handle. That way in term of ergonomics and experience an FF or APSC lens give the same experience and so as long as we are in 36MP at least, you could use your FF lenses as with the reach of APSC would you wish too. You would get best of both worlds.

Having APSC vs FF would be only a tradeoff made on the lenses for price/size/weight/quality.
07-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
It's called the K-01. You can find them on eBay. They work just fine with Limited lenses, too. I had one for a while, and although I eventually sold mine, it was a pretty solid camera that had some charms
When I checked eBay tonight, they had only a dozen new K-01 cameras for sale. I don't check on a regular schedule, but this is the smallest number I've seen, and I'm thinking that the cupboard may finally be emptying out, a condition I've always felt was a necessary precondition for Pentax to consider issuing another one. Of course, totally forgetting the whole idea is always another option for them.
07-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I checked eBay tonight, they had only a dozen new K-01 cameras for sale. I don't check on a regular schedule, but this is the smallest number I've seen, and I'm thinking that the cupboard may finally be emptying out, a condition I've always felt was a necessary precondition for Pentax to consider issuing another one. Of course, totally forgetting the whole idea is always another option for them.
I think Pentax now that they'll have to produce a serious mirorless eventually. The question is only when.

The K01 honestly look very plastic, a bit like a toy. AF is very slow, there no EVF. This is a hard sale to make. It had the same features as an Olympus Pen but theses looked much better and where much smaller. Ironically used K01 cost almost as much as some Pen models anyway.

So the problem is that they may not know how to do it. If they keep K-mount they can't really get arround big. It can be quite smaller than a K-S1 and they can go for a retro look with metal.. With an OVF, that would work well for everybody that already has some Pentax. But for other, you have to find argument as of why not buying Fuji, Sony E or m4/3...

07-09-2016, 02:47 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Watch for the NX tech to appear somewhere.. Samsung might as well sell it off if they don't want to play any more. Fingers xx'd for Ricoh to grab it and devise an electronic K-nx adapter
07-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Watch for the NX tech to appear somewhere.. Samsung might as well sell it off if they don't want to play any more. Fingers xx'd for Ricoh to grab it and devise an electronic K-nx adapter
But what technology? It seemed they used general purpose 4 core processor for the hardware instead of specialized device. I mean anybody can do that, it is not like ARM would refuse to licence their processors.

Their sensor while BSI was not that great, certainly worse than the Sony version. Sure it did great video but so do current BSI Sony sensors on A6300 and A7R-II.

The mount ? There almost no ecosystem around it it would make no sense except if you had not any mount of your own. And you'd have to invest quite a lot in a shrinking market... For established players, going on a new mount from scratch at least ensure you would have all all the sales and not have Samsung or the used market stealing... But it is much better if possible to stick on a mount you own with a vibrant echosystem.

What remains really? The EVF? Well I gues if you can't acquire/licence the other EVF on the market that would make sense but otherwise...