Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 05:02 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
This in the know - anyone aware of plans for small mirrorless?

I'm really keen on the Sony a6000 but it means a whole new lens system (I'm not interested in adapters).

I really wish there are an equivalent from Pentax as a small APS-C combined with the Ltd lenses would be fantastic. Has anyone heard any plans for this kind of thing? Maybe everyone is just focused on full frame

---------- Post added 02-13-15 at 12:03 PM ----------

Err, I meant to say "Those" in the know...

02-13-2015, 05:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The LTD's have a certain registry distance. There, any mirrorless that needs to be able to mount and use those lenses will have a big empty space between the sensor and the back of the lens. Voila: K-01.

Unless Pentax markets something with a shoter registry distance. But then your LTD's won't work anymore. It would be the same deal as getting that A6000.

Pentax has thrown their commitment for small form factor overboard. Unless it's the Q.

Last edited by Clavius; 02-13-2015 at 07:25 AM.
02-13-2015, 05:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ah right, so it's actually technically impossible to have a small slim camera for them then. Darn, I will stop hoping for such a thing.
02-13-2015, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three years ago. K-01

That horse has bolted.

Small mirrorless in Pentaxland = Q

02-13-2015, 05:19 AM   #5

It might be possible with additional optical elements that reduce the registry distance. But that would cause other negative effects as higher weight, lower image quality, more cost and less lens compatibility (since some lenses protrude into the mirror box).
02-13-2015, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you love your DA limiteds and want a small APS-C package to go with it, get a K-S1 (or a K-S2 if you want more bells and whistles). It's as good as it's going to get.
02-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
Ah right, so it's actually technically impossible to have a small slim camera for them then. Darn, I will stop hoping for such a thing.
Not quite impossible. There was talk here of a bellows system that would move out to accommodate K-mount lenses and move in to accommodate "native" lenses ... but as far as I know, that is merely talk,

Pentax has said nothing on the subject.

02-16-2015, 06:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Three years ago. K-01

That horse has bolted.

Small mirrorless in Pentaxland = Q
It's a shame people don't see the linkage between DSLR and their lenses

You can't have it both ways.
02-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I owned a K-01 and actually liked it. I think, despite it being larger than a lot of other mirrorless cameras, the K-01 might have made it anyway if the autofocus were faster (and it did improve with firmware updates), the rear LCD were usable in bright sunlight and the camera had an integrated electronic viewfinder (for which there was plenty if room in the body). I'm sure Ricoh is perfectly capable of building such a camera. But I suspect it would be more likely to appear under the Ricoh banner than Pentax. Perhaps as a companion model to augment the GR.
02-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I wonder if there will be a K-02 since K-S1 and S2 apparently have improved live view AF quite a bit.
02-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Not quite impossible. There was talk here of a bellows system that would move out to accommodate K-mount lenses and move in to accommodate "native" lenses ... but as far as I know, that is merely talk,

Pentax has said nothing on the subject.
Bad translation. The "Bellows" turned out to be the new retracting kit lens.
04-16-2015, 01:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Why not a slim mirrorless that has a "short" K-mount that is physically the same as the original K-mount, but with a shorter flange distance. Then all they would need to do to maintain compatibility with "long" K-mount lenses is include an adapter that extends the electrical and AF contacts to the original K-mount distance. When the 4/3 system came out, it was created for DSLRs. Then they went to Micro 4/3, which uses the same sensor, but the flange distance is shorter. The physical mount is different, but 4/3 lenses are fully compatible electrically with Micro 4/3 with an adapter.
04-16-2015, 04:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scotty707 Quote
Why not a slim mirrorless that has a "short" K-mount that is physically the same as the original K-mount, but with a shorter flange distance. Then all they would need to do to maintain compatibility with "long" K-mount lenses is include an adapter that extends the electrical and AF contacts to the original K-mount distance. When the 4/3 system came out, it was created for DSLRs. Then they went to Micro 4/3, which uses the same sensor, but the flange distance is shorter. The physical mount is different, but 4/3 lenses are fully compatible electrically with Micro 4/3 with an adapter.
I doubt they would like to use mechanical linkage for aperture on a mirrorless system, and it might be difficult to fit a screw drive AF in a slimmer body.
K-mount is in may ways an outdated mount if going to mirrorless, so compatibility for K-mount would have to be built-in in the adapter, not camera.
Just check how Sony did for full compatibility on adapters for A-mount lenses on E-mount cameras..

The difference compared to 4/3 mount is that this mount was already a modern mount with all controls between lens and camera is electronic, so it was much easier to make full compatibility between 4/3 mount and MFT
04-16-2015, 04:52 AM   #14

It's a real shame Ricoh did not carry on with their GXR concept. They had a Leica mount for it, I cant imagine it would have cost too much to develop a K and a Q mount for it.

Now that would have been one hell of a flexible camera system!
03-18-2016, 04:18 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scotty707 Quote
Why not a slim mirrorless that has a "short" K-mount that is physically the same as the original K-mount, but with a shorter flange distance.
It's a good idea until you remember K-mount has screwdriver and aperture levers.

---------- Post added 03-18-16 at 06:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
It's a real shame Ricoh did not carry on with their GXR concept. They had a Leica mount for it, I cant imagine it would have cost too much to develop a K and a Q mount for it.
You can mount K lenses on their M mount module already....
Novoflex Lens Adapter for Pentax K Lens to Leica M LEMPENT-NT

GXR idea is very silly. It's basically battery grip with interchangeable cameras which contained to expensive components (like, say 2.4 MP or 4 MP EVF)