Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Si - was it ever produced?

Pentax Si ? Minimally Minimal

Neat concept camera - was it ever made? If not is it time to revive some of the concepts? Why isn't the Q more like this?

02-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks like a concept someone came up with, rather than a design created by Pentax engineers.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Looks like a concept someone came up with, rather than a design created by Pentax engineers.
Maybe they should look at it. It is interesting that he selected Pentax as the manufacturer to showcase - it does fit their design frame of mind. They seem much more ergonomic focused than many others.
02-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

that is fascinating. Sort of related to what this guy is saying: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/288229-analysis-camera-industry.html

His main point is that complexity is not good for the camera market i.e. iphone made things simpler, therefore was a huge hit. Cameras should become simpler (at least at the consumer level)

02-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
that is fascinating. Sort of related to what this guy is saying: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/288229-analysis-camera-industry.html

His main point is that complexity is not good for the camera market i.e. iphone made things simpler, therefore was a huge hit. Cameras should become simpler (at least at the consumer level)
Yes I agree. I am not sure he is RIGHT but I am sure this is an approach that few have taken and an opportunity to lead (or fail).
02-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
this is an approach that few have taken and an opportunity to lead (or fail).
Pentax might be in a good position to try it - failures like the K-01 don't seem to hurt them as badly as it would Canikon
02-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice design exercise. I'm not certain there really is a market for such a camera, at least not
a large one. Most anyone wanting that level of simplicity would be much more keen on the
multi-function capability of a smartphone, which oh by the way takes pictures good enough
to no longer necessitate having a dedicated camera. Most anyone wanting better quality
probably also >thinks< they need more complexity as well and would shy away from such
a simple camera thinking it can't possibly be capable enough to justify its stand alone
existence.
02-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Nice design exercise.
What he said. These come up every so often. The one I found intriguing was the digital Holga from a few years back.

Steve

02-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yessir, Give me outstanding image quality, a fantastic viewfinder, let me set the ISO, and give me an exposure compensation dial and I can be happy on most trips I take !

OH Wait ! I still have my ME super and still happy with it after all these years
02-19-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

All I can say is "ugh." Aesthetically and ergonomically retched and combines the worst aspects of the camera phone (poor controls) and the interchangeable lens camera (large size and presumably expense). Perhaps Leica could pull it off, since their current customers tend to fawn over and shell out for anything with a funky look, a high price tag, and a red dot on it, regardless of how little sense the design makes, but Neither Canon nor Nikon, let alone Ricoh, would be willing or wise to touch this with a ten foot pole.

This is yet another ridiculous product of the past decade's cult of minimalism in design that would want to put a "clean" looking toy in the hands of the consumer even when he or she wants and needs a real tool that actually possesses utility and flexibility. As someone who enjoys Pentax products specifically because of their actual usability, I say thank God Ricoh has opted not to bring designers like this joker on.

Also, I had to laugh at the "Made in Japan" on the bottom plate. That's something you'll never see on a Pentax camera again, but it apparently still holds more cachet in design circles than "Made in the Philippines," so why not let the fantasy live, right?

---------- Post added 02-19-15 at 10:14 PM ----------

Ergonomic? Hardly.. He made it rectangular because the sensor is rectangular, and that's more "honest" somehow. And the curves are selected strictly for how they look: "like the edges of a wooden table in your grandfather’s office." There's absolutely nowhere to grip for the left hand, and the right hand girp is so unsubstantial as to be nearly pointless. The ridiculously oversized control knob also can't be operated without repositioning your hand completely away from shooting position, which slows shooting. This is exactly the opposite of Pentax's philosophy of maximum ergonomic usability (the lone recent exception being the K-01, and we saw how that turned out in the market).

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Maybe they should look at it. It is interesting that he selected Pentax as the manufacturer to showcase - it does fit their design frame of mind. They seem much more ergonomic focused than many others.

Last edited by dcshooter; 02-19-2015 at 10:17 PM.