Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 05:42 AM   #1

Mirrorless....

Any news of mirrorless camera from Pentax which is up there with the likes of Sony and Oly. I am sick of carrying the bulk on my long hikes and almost tempted to jump the gun to Oly / Sony. I think a mirrorless which was right there amongst the top was more needed to capture market share than a full frame (I think I may be touching frayed nerves here)...

04-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Based on the numbers that Ron has shared many times, overall mirrorless sales are flat globally. Because of that, I don't think you will see a Pentax mirrorless any time soon. Aren't you happy with the K-01 ? :P
04-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
Based on the numbers that Ron has shared many times, overall mirrorless sales are flat globally. Because of that, I don't think you will see a Pentax mirrorless any time soon. Aren't you happy with the K-01 ? :P
and DSLR sales have been trending downward globally - so by the same logic, we won't be seeing any new DSLRs from Pentax either...

Years starts just like it ended: Falling system camera sales. | 43 Rumors

all joking aside, I would love to see a serious mirrorless system from Pentax in the vein of the Olympus OMD series or the Sony A7 - I've mentioned this several other places on PF, so before you say it - yes, this would mean a new mount and a new series of lenses.

I doubt we'll ever see this happen, however - or at least for a very long time. Pentax is committed to the Q as their mirrorless platform, and although I have really enjoyed the two Qs I own, they still are limited in capability.

the K-01 was a nice camera - but it still was too large since it had to retain the K Mount flange distance. so I sold it, and yeah, I got an OMD EM1. it was a tough decision, as I've got a number of K Mount lenses, recent and vintage, but going smaller has been so much better for me.
04-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
and DSLR sales have been trending downward globally - so by the same logic, we won't be seeing any new DSLRs from Pentax either...

Years starts just like it ended: Falling system camera sales. | 43 Rumors

all joking aside, I would love to see a serious mirrorless system from Pentax in the vein of the Olympus OMD series or the Sony A7 - I've mentioned this several other places on PF, so before you say it - yes, this would mean a new mount and a new series of lenses.

I doubt we'll ever see this happen, however - or at least for a very long time. Pentax is committed to the Q as their mirrorless platform, and although I have really enjoyed the two Qs I own, they still are limited in capability.

the K-01 was a nice camera - but it still was too large since it had to retain the K Mount flange distance. so I sold it, and yeah, I got an OMD EM1. it was a tough decision, as I've got a number of K Mount lenses, recent and vintage, but going smaller has been so much better for me.

Ok.....but we have the Q. Ok ok sorry....I will stop joking.

I don't think that Pentax will come up with a 3rd set of lenses since they have the K and the Q mounts. I could be wrong though, I never thought they would have a FF since it took them so long to release it. It would be nice to see them increase the sensor size of the Q to at least an inch but I don't think registration would work in that camera size.

04-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Ok.....but we have the Q. Ok ok sorry....I will stop joking.

I don't think that Pentax will come up with a 3rd set of lenses since they have the K and the Q mounts. I could be wrong though, I never thought they would have a FF since it took them so long to release it. It would be nice to see them increase the sensor size of the Q to at least an inch but I don't think registration would work in that camera size.
YES - we have the Q! Shove that Micro Four Thirds sensor it it and Bob's your uncle!

you're right though - I don't think they'll develop another system. with those two and also the 645, they do have a lot going on. I think they make amazing gear, and a M43 from Pentax would kill, but it just won't happen.

never stop joking! we all have to have fun in this world!
04-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would love to see a K-01 with an EVF. Lack of it was the main reason why I did not buy it.
04-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I would love to see a K-01 with an EVF. Lack of it was the main reason why I did not buy it.

Yeah that is why I joke so much. The major problem with any mirrorless is the EVF which still causes such a lag. The NX1 seemed to look good in their review, until they talk about the EVF lag and it's inability to handle sports. Maybe some day but not there yet. Also, the benefit of the mirorless is size but once you add a lens, the size is not that small at all.

04-20-2015, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah that is why I joke so much. The major problem with any mirrorless is the EVF which still causes such a lag. The NX1 seemed to look good in their review, until they talk about the EVF lag and it's inability to handle sports. Maybe some day but not there yet. Also, the benefit of the mirorless is size but once you add a lens, the size is not that small at all.
Does an EVF have more lag than the live view LCD?

Quote from DPR
QuoteQuote:
The NX1 also has one of the best electronic viewfinders we've ever seen on a stills camera. For all practical purposes it has no lag (a common problem on EVFs) and has excellent color and clarity. It's qualitatively different than using an optical viewfinder, but works very well and enables features you'll only find on viewfinders of mirrorless cameras such as histograms and zebra exposure warnings.
Does not sound like a problem for shooting sports
04-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
Any news of mirrorless camera from Pentax which is up there with the likes of Sony and Oly. I am sick of carrying the bulk on my long hikes and almost tempted to jump the gun to Oly / Sony. I think a mirrorless which was right there amongst the top was more needed to capture market share than a full frame (I think I may be touching frayed nerves here)...
I sold my K5 and purchased a Sony Nex7. The Sony takes excellent hi res pictures even with the kit lens, but construction and feel not on par with Pentax. Just sold the Nex and went back to Pentax.
04-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Does an EVF have more lag than the live view LCD?

Quote from DPR

Does not sound like a problem for shooting sports

I never really use live view except for movies which is what I use my camcorder for.

Well, DPR is there to sell cameras, that is why Pentax cameras are reviewed months after release (K-3) and I think a lot of people now take DPR reviews with a grain of salt:Phil Askey was great, Amazon running the site isn't.

From DPR:

Although the EVF has a lag time of 5ms, in practice it's effectively zero,

I guess that is the new DPR math. When you are shooting a basketball game or something similar, a difference will be noticed. In other reviews of Samsung and Fuji cameras, the EVF has improved tremendously, but it is still not there yet. I guess that is why we don't see Canon or Nikon being major players in the mirrorless market,

Last edited by JimC1101; 04-20-2015 at 12:07 PM.
04-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by wlc1967 Quote
I sold my K5 and purchased a Sony Nex7. The Sony takes excellent hi res pictures even with the kit lens, but construction and feel not on par with Pentax. Just sold the Nex and went back to Pentax.
ha ha has !
welcome back!
04-21-2015, 04:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. A K-mount camera with an EVF is not a crazy idea. There are a number of ways it could be made interesting.

I'd also still like to see a "Super Q" with an EVF and updated 1/1.7 sensor.
04-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ricoh has been very public about their approach to mirrorless. Their answer is the Q system.
04-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Ricoh has been very public about their approach to mirrorless. Their answer is the Q system.
I think that's a perfectly viable strategy. I'm OK with that. The problem is, I haven't seen them doing anything all that interesting with the Q system yet. Maybe they've got something wonderful in the works, in the lab. I'd love to be surprised by the sudden appearance of a "Super Q" with an EVF and updated (not bigger) sensor, sort of like Pentax's answer to the OM-D EM-10. But I'm not holding my breath. If you really want to get into mirrorless, and you want an EVF, it doesn't make a lot of sense to wait for Pentax to go there. Others are already doing it.
04-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I think that's a perfectly viable strategy. I'm OK with that. The problem is, I haven't seen them doing anything all that interesting with the Q system yet. Maybe they've got something wonderful in the works, in the lab. I'd love to be surprised by the sudden appearance of a "Super Q" with an EVF and updated (not bigger) sensor, sort of like Pentax's answer to the OM-D EM-10. But I'm not holding my breath. If you really want to get into mirrorless, and you want an EVF, it doesn't make a lot of sense to wait for Pentax to go there. Others are already doing it.
The purpose of a camera is to take pictures, not to display technology. "Geting into mirrorless" is not a goal of itself, but a means to get to particular other goals. There are some nice MILC cameras out there, and each one has its uses.Ricoh-Pentax is not in a position to address every single niche, and apparently they do not intend to currently address the niche currently occupied by the Sony A6000. I agree that an EVF would be great, but I did buy a Q7 last December when I convinced myself that I could put an enlarging hood on it and get good pictures. It is not a replacement for an APS-C camera, but it has more than replaced the Canon Elph pocket camera which I was using until then.