Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2015, 06:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
zoom lens for q

Posting for a friend

Hi guys I'm just a beginner, I have the pentax q and would like a lens that equals 50x zoom but not sure what type to get and what kind of adapter I might need. Going to be taking a trip and that would be really useful as of right now I only have the standard lens. I did see there is the telephoto one you can buy buts its a little pricey for me.

thanks for any and all help.

06-09-2015, 06:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hm what does he mean by 50x zoom? he could get something like a 70-200, 70-300, 55-300 or 18-250 in K mount coupled with a Q to K adapter but i doubt it is going to be cheaper..
with the original q you have a crop factor of about 5.6 for Q and Q10 for the Q7 and QS1 its about 4.7 times
with the above lenses, e.g. 18-250 this would give something like a 100 - 1400 on the Q or for the Q-7 84 - 1175 mm

It does not necessarily need to be in K mount could be anything that has a Q to X adapter like the ones from Fotodiox.

the pentax adapter is the best and has some advantages like leaf shutter and aperture control but is the highest price.

As soon as an adapter is used the lens will be all manual... no auto focus, aperture control.

Last edited by max_pyne; 06-09-2015 at 06:33 AM.
06-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
50x? Did you mean 5x?
06-09-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There aren't that many native Q lenses. You can see them listed here:
Pentax Q-Mount Prime Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Pentax Q-Mount Zoom Lenses - Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

If you want anything else, you will need adapters. The easiest would be this: Pentax Q Mount Adapters - Lens Reviews and Specifications - SLR and Interchangeable Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
But then you would have to buy a lens, which would still cost something. The thing is, superzoom lenses with massive zoom range are popular on fix lens cameras, but they are rare in the world of high image quality cameras. The zoom range generally means lower image quality and low brightness. I think the answer to your problem is to buy a couple lenses and simply switch them depending on the range that you want to use. That is what pro photographers do, they rarely use just one lens, and even more rarely a superzoom lens.

06-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #5

One of the cheapest ways to get magnification would be to acquire a fotodiox adapter and a K or M 200mm that should total less than $100. My K 200mm is fairly small and very usable. It does tend to fringe with high contrast. Cheap light though.
06-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I bought a Sigma 70mm-300mm APO DG lens from B&H because reviews show that it has very limited "fringing"
(the price seems to have gone up from $180 to $200) Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens 508109 B&H
Mounted on a PK-to-PQ adapter, it requires hand-focusing, but it seriously extends what is available using native Q-mount lenses.
06-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by backdrop001 Quote
Posting for a friend

Hi guys I'm just a beginner, I have the pentax q and would like a lens that equals 50x zoom but not sure what type to get and what kind of adapter I might need. Going to be taking a trip and that would be really useful as of right now I only have the standard lens. I did see there is the telephoto one you can buy buts its a little pricey for me.

thanks for any and all help.
For an extensive zoom range in a single package, your friend is really asking for a bridge camera like the XG-1, which just happens to have 52x zoom:
Pentax XG-1 Digital Camera (Black) 07988 B&H Photo Video

This has nothing to do with the Q per se, but at $239, the cost of the XG-1 is less than some of the Q lenses, and it comes with a whole camera attached.

I guess the real question is whether your friend actually needs to have 50x zoom. Such lenses (and the cameras they are permanently attached to) generally tend to have worse image quality, especially in low light. While traveling, I find that having a wide-angle lens, and/or a faster lens, to be much more versatile than being able to go into the long telephoto range, which is where the mega-zoom lenses always go in order to get the awesome "50x" specification. At those super-telephoto lengths, you start running into other practical problems, like atmospheric haze or camera shake. So the long zooms are really not as useful as the marketing departments at Pentax/Canon/Nikon/Sony would like your friend to believe.

I do have an older Pentax X90 bridge camera and it is a useful/fun tool in my arsenal. But for the trip I am on at the moment, I am carrying my Q with the 01 prime, 02 zoom, and 07 shield mount lens.
06-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

The original Q has a 1/2.3 sensor size. The Fuji FinePix SL1000 (a bridge camera) has the same size sensor and has a 4.3-215mm lens (equivalent to 24-1200mm on 35mm). That's a 50x optical zoom.

Nothing like that exists on Pentax. The longest native lens is the 15-45 zoom, which is equivalent to something like a 70-200 or 85-250 depending on which Q body you use.

If you don't mind manual focus, a lens adapter and any ~18-200 type superzoom will get the long end. But realistically, this is a silly idea -- there's no way you're going to handhold the q at a 1200mm equivalent. If you want it for birding, fine, but you'd be better off getting a 70-200 or something specifically for that (doesn't have to be a fancy one, maybe an old Vivitar Series 1) and an adapter that has a tripod mount built in (you don't want to break the Q by trying to hold up a heavy lens with it), and getting the 5-15 and 15-45 for normal use.

Also: Holy crap, how did I never notice there was another Pentaxian from South Bend! I thought I was the only one in the northern half of the state! Hi, Reh321!

06-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
The original Q has a 1/2.3 sensor size. The Fuji FinePix SL1000 (a bridge camera) has the same size sensor and has a 4.3-215mm lens (equivalent to 24-1200mm on 35mm). That's a 50x optical zoom.

Nothing like that exists on Pentax. The longest native lens is the 15-45 zoom, which is equivalent to something like a 70-200 or 85-250 depending on which Q body you use.

If you don't mind manual focus, a lens adapter and any ~18-200 type superzoom will get the long end. But realistically, this is a silly idea -- there's no way you're going to handhold the q at a 1200mm equivalent. If you want it for birding, fine, but you'd be better off getting a 70-200 or something specifically for that (doesn't have to be a fancy one, maybe an old Vivitar Series 1) and an adapter that has a tripod mount built in (you don't want to break the Q by trying to hold up a heavy lens with it), and getting the 5-15 and 15-45 for normal use.

Also: Holy crap, how did I never notice there was another Pentaxian from South Bend! I thought I was the only one in the northern half of the state! Hi, Reh321!
Hi!

I originally started down the path of using a legacy 70-210 (Vivitar) lens, using a walking-stick / monopod to provide stability, but practicing in our backyard (our daughters said we were using a bird feeder to "bribe" birds to pose) against a background of snow demonstrated an unacceptable level of CA; I found the same thing with every older lens I tried, which is why I eventually switched to the new Sigma lens which I recommend.
06-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by backdrop001 Quote
50x zoom
x as in 8x binoculars simply means magnification.

For the original Q with a 1/2.3 sensor divide the FL of lens by 7.66 to get the magnification. Thus 50x would require 383mm FL glass.
For the 1/1.7 sensor Q's divide by 9..5 thus 50x would require 475mm FL glass.

Close enough.

Last edited by wildman; 06-26-2015 at 04:58 AM.
06-26-2015, 06:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I think OP simply confused some terms because of the way that P&S cameras are marketed.
50x could mean the total zoom range, from the widest to the most telephoto FoV the lens allows. Or it could mean telephoto magnification with infinity focus. Sometimes even macro magnification is expressed in that format, but 50x macro enlargement magnification is.. well, not really feasible unless you are using microscopes or whatnot.

So here is to clear up: "Zoom" simply means the lens allows you to go from a wider angle of view to a more narrow angle of view, to make the frame larger or smaller (and thus bring things closer). But having a narrow angle of view ("zooming in") is not called "zoom" - it is called telephoto. For example, a 100mm lens is telephoto, has no zoom (called a prime lens, or a fixed focal length lens). But a 4-100mm lens is a zoom lens, which goes from 4mm (wide angle) to 100mm (telephoto), and it has a certain zoom range. Zoom lenses are easier to use because they have a range, you can zoom in or zoom out for your composition. But prime lenses have other advantages, such as better low light performance (brightness), they allow a shallower depth of field, they have better image quality overall (flare resistance, detail and sharpness, contrast, colours), and they often have faster AF as well.
This is why my previous post in this thread links to Q zoom collection and Q prime collection. Sure, OP could adapt other lenses, but that is a whole other story.

This is an old thread and I hope OP got what they wanted
06-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
a 4-100mm lens is a zoom lens, which goes from 4mm (wide angle) to 100mm (telephoto), and it has a certain zoom range.
In this case a "zoom range" of 25x.
An absolute magnification range from .14x to 3.57x on a aps-c sensor.
3.57/.14=25 approx.

"Zoom range" is mostly advertising hype which really doesn't impart a lot of useful information to the average consumer so far as I understand it.
06-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
"Zoom range" is mostly advertising hype which really doesn't impart a lot of useful information to the average consumer so far as I understand it.
Exactly! This is why we are having trouble answering the question