Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Due to the register distance of the k-mount there's honestly not too much you can do about size. Weight? Sure, but not size. The logical conclusion to that would be to keep the same size but upgrade to a full frame sensor.

It doesn't even need to be a high mega pixel machine either, 16-24 would be absolutely perfect.

Other things I'd want in a k-02:

1. Mechanical stabilization in video
2. Audio monitoring
3. Different colors in focus peaking
4. Improved AF
5. Built in ND filters
6. Removal of AA filter
7. Make the rubber door slightly less fiddly
8. Catch in focus
9. Crop mode if FF

Would be one excellent camera.

07-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And they need to fix the burst mode speed! K-01 seems to be oddly limited, when burst mode is usually something mirrorless is good at, since it has no mirrors to move.

Pentax should also make a black one with a plastic shell so people cant complain about its looks, and a cool yellow one to keep in with "tradition".
07-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
PDAF capable sensor, KS-1 like body just lose the LEDs so people will take it a bit more seriously, KS-2 features. I'll take one.
07-23-2015, 06:06 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not sure that FF development would necessarily hinder K-02 development that much. A K-02 could easily be a (slightly) re-packaged K-S2.
Especially considering the K-30 is a slightly repackaged K-01.

07-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Why "square"; My experience after 50 years of taking pictures is that in most cases the world is rectangular; 3x2 works better than 4x3 or 3x3 in a majority of cases.
Yes indeed - the physiology of binocular vision makes this so (16:9 is the optimal ratio).
08-01-2015, 05:42 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes indeed - the physiology of binocular vision makes this so (16:9 is the optimal ratio).
Chuck Norr.. ehrm... Ren Cockwell doesn't concur...

(but I do )
08-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Why "square"
Here's an answer from the director of "Mommy":

The film was shot in a 1:1 aspect ratio although most modern films are shot in 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 aspect ratios. On the unusual aspect ratio, Xavier Dolan said, "I know a lot of people are saying, 'Oh, 1:1, how pretentious.' But for me, it seems a more humble and private format, a little more fitting to these lives we're diving into. Cinemascope [2.35:1] would have been extremely pretentious and incompatible for Mommy. To try to get in that apartment and film these people in that aspect ratio would have been unseemly."

But he does go full width for one critical sequence.
08-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #53
Site Supporter

I'm not sure that FF development would necessarily hinder K-02 development that much. A K-02 could easily be a (slightly) re-packaged K-S2.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Especially considering the K-30 is a slightly repackaged K-01.
I'm wondering whether Canon's announcement of the EOS-M3 relates to this discussion.
The M3 is a repackaged T6 (the Canon closest to the K-S2).
The M3 still does not have a built-in EVF, but it will be compatible with an already-available (for$240) slide-on EVF.

09-08-2015, 03:47 AM   #54

I'm wondering whether Canon's announcement of the EOS-M3 relates to this discussion
The success of Sony in these years forces Canon pay more attention to mirrorless camera market. The current M3 is compact and light (compared to K01). Besides, it has a rotatable touch screen. The major limitation of M3 is the lack of ef-m lenses. Neverthless, the only one prime lens for M3, the EF-M22mmF2.0, is very impressive, it is light(105g), compact and inexpensive.
For now, I still have confidence in K01 for its image quality, but it is discontinued after all. There is probably not a K02. But Canon will definitely release M4, M5...and develop more EF-M lenses.
I just cannot understand what Pentax is thinking about. Pentax already has DA limited lens serie, which may be regarded as a great advantage for developing mirrorless products, but they chose to give up these market shares.
The new FF will make profit from old pentax fans, but it will not gain market shares in my opinion. Two reasons: 1, lack of D-FA lens; 2, mirrorless FF is going to take dominant role. Pentax should give K02 a FF sensor
09-08-2015, 04:30 AM   #55
Pentaxian

We don't know what the Pentax design team is thinking about.

Ricoh has said they're serious about photography, and the growth of mirrorless systems is a serious trend. I'm sure they'll move back into larger-sensor mirrorless in due course, but they're not like Sony in their approach to product development, and frankly I wouldn't want them to be.
09-08-2015, 05:39 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Ricoh has said they're serious about photography, and the growth of mirrorless systems is a serious trend. I'
Yeah, but does this just mean more types of GR and Q cameras? Or K-mount?
The main problem for Pentax is that they don't have Sony money, so they can't just develop a new product every few months and then just see if it sells or not. Look how many cameras Sony is selling. Most of them are.. eh, nothing special, but they are testing the market. Pentax has far fewer models in production.
I would like to see a top-notch mirrorless in native K-mount, but I am skeptical, still.
09-08-2015, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

Ricoh has Sony money but they're far more cautious in their approach to product development. I'd rather be a shareholder in Ricoh than Sony.

Ricoh also doesn't have a history of developing new lens mounts. The GXR was the exception, and that's only partly so, as they developed modules to take other existing mounts. They'd be Sony crazy to ditch the K-mount with its back-collection of glass, to support a new mount with limited glass, especially as they're developing new lenses for the 35FF body.
09-14-2015, 05:22 AM   #58

Photos: Albums
What distinguishes mirror less from dslrr if I may ask
09-14-2015, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lakai Quote
Lack of mirror.
09-14-2015, 07:05 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lakai Quote
DSLR has optical viewfinder - you have a little winder on the back top where you can see directly through a lens. To achieve this, the camera must have a mirror between the lens and the film/sensor (mirror moves out of the way when taking the photo). This is why its called a Single Lens Reflex. Some other camera designs have a separate viewfinder (which is slightly different from what the actual lens sees). But mirrorless have no mirror and no optical viewfinder. They are just constantly in live view mode. There is a sensor which gives an electronic video feed of the view through the lens. This has downsides like latency, lag, slightly off colours and contrasts, resolution, and some others. That said, optical viewfinders also have their own weaknesses. And electronic viewfinders have been improving a lot over the years.
Since mirrorless has no mirror, there are fewer parts in the camera (no mirror, no pentaprism, different focusing module (or none at all, if its done just by CPU)). Ultimately, this allows a camera that is smaller and cheaper. In theory. Some mirrorless are very expensive. Some are not significantly more compact than compact DSLRs.