Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #121

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
There no many camera with full sensor read out, and they are all very expensive!
Don't understand why, my Nokia N8 could do that years ago on a 680mhz broadcom processor with 256mb ram. Surely it should have filtered further than the RX100 mk 4 by now...

Guess not then. Suppose they have to hold some things back for later until they've developed some other innovations to hold back.

Edit to add: I know the N8 "only" had a 1/1.7" sensor and did 720p video, but with the massive progress since I feel they should at least be able to do 1080p full sensor readout on dedicated cameras by now. The N8 was 6 years ago now.

Last edited by Death89; 09-14-2016 at 12:38 PM.
09-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Death89 Quote
Don't understand why, my Nokia N8 could do that years ago on a 680mhz broadcom processor with 256mb ram. Surely it should have filtered further than the RX100 mk 4 by now...

Guess not then. Suppose they have to hold some things back for later until they've developed some other innovations to hold back.

Edit to add: I know the N8 "only" had a 1/1.7" sensor and did 720p video, but with the massive progress since I feel they should at least be able to do 1080p full sensor readout on dedicated cameras by now. The N8 was 6 years ago now.
To do a full sensor read, you need to have fast enough transfer to read all the photosites (so 36 millions on a K1), merge them correctly and then compress the video.

Most still camera have lot of photosites and this require lot of wiring to do so, increasing heat, so the need of cooling but also until the recent BSI design a bigger share of the sensor surface used for the wiring rather than capturing light. After all to process a 36MP image at say 30FPS and 14 bit you need approximately 2GB/s of bandwidth, just for reading, and if you do an advanced algorithm on it, like bicubic resizing that's quite resourse consuming.

If you notice, the N8 has a rolling shutter problem in video, meaning it read each frame progressively. You can read an explanation here: https://www.cinema5d.com/rolling-shutter-sony-a7s-vs-arri-amira-canon-c300-5...panasonic-gh4/

In a sense, this mean that 2GB/s is not even enough, the read must be much faster so idea each frame is read almost instantly and only at some time, not all the time. That's not the case with the N8 or even A7s.

My understanding is that good professionnal video cameras avoid this kind of issue. People hope for free lunch with 4K in their still camera, but this is far from being the case.