Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2015, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-02 Fan Club

Hows about if we made the Pentax K-02 Fan club !

If we don't yak on about it like FF complainants, Pentax will never make one.

The tide of Mirrorless is turning quite rapidly. Sony already has a FF mirrorless, Fujifilm is blossoming, and if they up the mega pixels to 24mp, they'll be even more attractive. Canon has improved the EOS-M. Nikon has the 1 ........

Where's Pentax ? I'm sure they're too busy working on the FF. But once its out, we better get on Pentaxes back for the K-02.

Who's up for a Pentax K-02 ?

06-21-2015, 03:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Ricoh Pentax already has an APS-C mirrorless - the GR and GR II ...

And who says the Pentax FF isn't going to be mirrorless? The FF may (perhaps, maybe, might, could have) some 'mirrorless' elements in it, in the form of a hybrid OVF or something similar.
06-21-2015, 04:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Haha yeah! I would love an evolution of the K-01! Compact, but with great sensor! Just add TAv, improve the AF, add tilting screen.. perfect!
Oh, and add an attachable EVF (bonus points if it can be used on the Q series as well)
06-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And who says the Pentax FF isn't going to be mirrorless?
That huge prism shaped bulge on the top of the mock up is a pretty big clue that it will feature a mirror.

06-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And who says the Pentax FF isn't going to be mirrorless?
Pentax. But what do they know?
06-21-2015, 07:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Pentax. But what do they know?
Japanese maskirovka ?
06-21-2015, 08:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Hows about if we made the Pentax K-02 Fan club !

The tide of Mirrorless is turning quite rapidly. Sony already has a FF mirrorless, Fujifilm is blossoming, and if they up the mega pixels to 24mp, they'll be even more attractive. Canon has improved the EOS-M. Nikon has the 1 ........

Where's Pentax ? I'm sure they're too busy working on the FF. But once its out, we better get on Pentaxes back for the K-02.

Who's up for a Pentax K-02 ?
I'm not sure that FF development would necessarily hinder K-02 development that much. A K-02 could easily be a (slightly) re-packaged K-S2.

06-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

When the K01 was first introduced, I thought it was very very interesting and promising. However, I hesitated to buy at that time, I believed It was just the begining of mirrorless series for K mount , and there would soon be an optimized 'K02' with rotatable screen, better AF performance and better response speed...So I waited, but It turned out to be a sad story, I bought the K01 when it was officially discontinued. I really love this monster of K01, I support your idea.
06-21-2015, 09:15 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Hi , this is a great idea . I sold my K01 last year but i'm really missing it . I've dediced to bought one back :-) so yes let ask a K-02
06-21-2015, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #10

Let's be realistic everyone--the company has very, very limited resources. They're not going to divert from their current legacy lens families and camera designs because they have a lot invested. Do you seriously want the Ricoh version of the Leica T? Four whole lenses and counting! Lackluster compatibility with M-mount glass! Ricoh already tried to make a mirrorless system with GXR, which, even though it was interesting, was a failure.

The roadmap has no place for yet another experiment like the K-01. After the (partially unwarranted) blowback on K-S1 from the press, Ricoh is going to double down on being conservative and leaning on traditional SLRs with K-mount. FF is going to be a standard DSLR with signature Pentax tech and...its major selling point? Native K-mount support, of course! Why would you wish for anything but that? Keep it simple!

If you want mirrorless, buy into a mirrorless system that was designed that way from the ground up. We're not hurting for amazing, affordable choices from Fuji, Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic. Mirrorless designs only make sense if you're going to take advantage of the shorter flange distance and make lenses/bodies explicitly for it. That way the camera can be more compact. Legacy mirrorless is a contradiction in terms.

The closest you'll ever get to a K-02 is the K-S1. K-mount compatibility, compact, quirky looking, with faster AF and a 20 MP sensor. Plus, you get a bonus OVF! It's arguably a better use of that empty mirrorbox. Just shoot it in LV mode if you're so against using mirrors.
06-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #11
Forum Member

Well it was a tease with only the SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS in the XS lens road map. I have 3 K-01's, along with 2 K20D's, and the 1st gen Q. plenty of lenses and camera bodies to play with for now. I likened the K-S2 to what a K-02 could have become.
06-21-2015, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

square body and square sensor - that sounds like something only Pentax would dare I'm still surprised that nobody makes a square sensor, so they'd have to stick a mask over a standard sensor. Not really worth throwing away pixels to make it happen; too bad.
06-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
square body and square sensor - that sounds like something only Pentax would dare I'm still surprised that nobody makes a square sensor, so they'd have to stick a mask over a standard sensor. Not really worth throwing away pixels to make it happen; too bad.
Why "square"; My experience after 50 years of taking pictures is that in most cases the world is rectangular; 3x2 works better than 4x3 or 3x3 in a majority of cases.
06-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Square lets you crop as you choose & allows better use of the circular lens projection. It also obviates the flying-elbow rotation pose to make a portrait shot, just crop a portrait later. Of course it would be a different crop factor entirely - but it's time to let those brain-freezing conversions go anyway! Take a FF sensor and crop it to 30x30mm, and let me go play

I suspect more DA lenses could do a 30x30 sensor, too..
06-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Square lets you crop as you choose & allows better use of the circular lens projection. It also obviates the flying-elbow rotation pose to make a portrait shot, just crop a portrait later. Of course it would be a different crop factor entirely - but it's time to let those brain-freezing conversions go anyway! Take a FF sensor and crop it to 30x30mm, and let me go play

I suspect more DA lenses could do a 30x30 sensor, too..
Usually, regardless of how the sensor is shaped, we're given choices about how to use it. Regardless of what the sensor looks like, I'm fairly sure I'd end up using it in a rectangular mode, because I really don't like to do much cropping afterward - I want to know what the picture will look like when I take it My elbows are against my body in a stable position, no matter how the camera is oriented; for a vertical orientation, the shutter button is on the lower right corner of the camera - I never understood holding it the other way with the right hand trying to press the button on the upper left corner of the camera.