Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I like my K-01 so much, both as a high-rank snapshot holiday camera (sans lcd viewfinder) and as a serious platform for macro and general photography (with lcd viewfinder) that I don't think I would buy something better in the near future.
Maybe a DSLR in a couple of years for good AF performance, but this little jewel is going to serve me well for a long time - provided it doesn't break, that is.

Minor gripes to be enhanced in a hypothetical K-02: number of lcd dots (for use with viewfinder), AF performance, minor firmware annoyances, uncrippled RAW buffer (we know it can do a three-RAW burst from bracketing, so please cut the cr*p and give us the uncrippled version...)

So no K-02 for me for some time at least, but only because the original K-01 was that good!.

06-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Minor gripes to be enhanced in a hypothetical K-02: number of lcd dots (for use with viewfinder), AF performance, minor firmware annoyances, uncrippled RAW buffer (we know it can do a three-RAW burst from bracketing, so please cut the cr*p and give us the uncrippled version...)
You basically just described a K-S1. The LCD isn't a higher resolution but you can use the OVF if you need something to hold up to your face. Improved AF? Yup. Contrast in LV, Phase Detection when using OVF. I'm not sure about the burst speed but it's rated as lower (5.4 fps) likely due to the 20 MP res of the sensor. Given the tweaked processor I'd be inclined to think that it's an improvement in continuous shooting.

Do you guys get it yet? The K-02 exists! You can buy it this very minute for an excellent price! It's called the K-S1! Celebrate!
Attached Images

06-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #18
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That picture of the K-S1 just makes me think how small and light a K-02 could be if it were based on the K-S1 with the mirror and prism paraphernalia removed.
06-21-2015, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
That picture of the K-S1 just makes me think how small and light a K-02 could be if it were based on the K-S1 with the mirror and prism paraphernalia removed.
According to CIPA, even with that lovely, bulky prism, the K-S1 weighs two grams less than the K-01. So, if you're fine with a K-01, you should be dandy with a K-S1 given its superior ergonomics. Does weight even matter that much once there's a lens mounted on the thing?

I'm a K-01 owner and will defend it to haters but you folks gotta move on. Pentax has a superior compact interchangeable lens camera in its stable right now. It is uncompromised in the ways the K-01 was and yet retains a quirky, unique character all its own.

06-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
You would end up with a large sized Olympus OM-D E-M10. The EVF would take up some space but probably less than what a pentaprism does.
06-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sign me up for a K-02... I've got 33k actuations on my K-01!
06-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #22
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
You would end up with a large sized Olympus OM-D E-M10. The EVF would take up some space but probably less than what a pentaprism does.
Actually, I'm imagining something without a viewfinder at all. A tilt screen would be useful. Just like the K-01, but at light as it can possibly be. It would make sense to have an EVF option for those who want one.

I now have a K-01 and a K-5 IIs, and I like them both. There are definitely times when I prefer to shoot with the rear screen than being the camera to my eye. What's nice is the ability to have both in one lens system.

Last edited by JPT; 06-21-2015 at 09:34 PM.
06-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #23
Forum Member

I would love a K-02. But it would need good video quality. And better implemented shake reduction.

When I got my K-01 I was disappointed with the video quality. So I spent some money for a device that could deliver better video which is my Sony bridge camera sadly it does not have exposure lock, (or a manual video mode) making it close to useless for podcasting as I find it distracting to have the exposure changing anytime you change your body position.

Then when my sister went to start getting into YouTube I had to tell her to go with Panasonic as they have way better video quality, superior video shake reduction via in lens stabilization and continuous focus in video mode.

And now I'm looking at a Samsung for video so I can still use some of my Pentax lenses even though they'll be stuck in manual. It's a shame really if Pentax had a good camera for video, that would have equated to thousands of dollars from me and my sister to Pentax instead of other manufacturers.
06-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #24
Forum Member

My expectation on K-02:
Must Improve ... AF improved by 50% at least, LCD viewable under the sun light (if no viewfinder), Resolution 20mp if APSC, Thinner if APSC, TAV mode added,
Should Improve ... Video flexibility,
Like to have ... FF, Viewfinder (if so, can accept to take away the built-in flash),
06-24-2015, 02:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Why should we have to turn to one of the other mirrorless makers ? Okay we can buy a used K-01, but I would really like an EVF. I like EVF's, sure they're not as good as an OVF, but there can be additional data displayed in an EVF.

Now this whole mirrorless leak needs to be plugged, just as the Full Frame leak needs to be plugged.

Ricoh stated at the announcement about the FF, that they've lost customers to other Brands in Full Frame, and that they're building the FF for these folks.

Now that Ricoh is listening to Pentaxians, we should hash this out, and talk about the things we would like in a Pentax K-02.

1. Compact.
2. New mount with a few lenses - (Wide angle, 16-50, 50-200) or (Limited's for mirrorless 15, 21, 35, 50,70).
3. K mount adapter, with built in motor for screw drive lenses, and super silent.
4.Decent AF.
5. Decent video.
6. An electronic viewfinder. Built in, or a decent accessory.
7. A tilty pop up flash.

8. and Marc Newson stays the heck away from the design.

I've already gone Fujifilm. I would prefer a Pentax mirrorless so's I can use my K-mount lenses.

C'mon Pentax K-02 us !
06-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #26

K-02 in my dream will be: Nikon Df with video capability.
06-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Why should we have to turn to one of the other mirrorless makers ?
Because they already make what you want, without having to develop a whole new product line that would probably be a colossal failure?

QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
Now that Ricoh is listening to Pentaxians, we should hash this out, and talk about the things we would like in a Pentax K-02.

1. Compact.
2. New mount with a few lenses - (Wide angle, 16-50, 50-200) or (Limited's for mirrorless 15, 21, 35, 50,70).
3. K mount adapter, with built in motor for screw drive lenses, and super silent.
4.Decent AF.
5. Decent video.
6. An electronic viewfinder. Built in, or a decent accessory.
7. A tilty pop up flash.

8. and Marc Newson stays the heck away from the design.

I've already gone Fujifilm. I would prefer a Pentax mirrorless so's I can use my K-mount lenses.

C'mon Pentax K-02 us !
That... would not be a "K-02". It would have more in common with the Q than the K-01.

While PDAF-on-sensor has come a long ways in the past three years, Pentax doesn't have experience with it, so it would be expensive in R&D. Video... their video capabilities seems to strongly tied to what Fujitsu puts in the Milbeaut processor, so they'd have to acquire and learn a whole new family of processors. More R&D $$$. Ricoh actually has experience with removable EVFs, so we'll let that slide. Anyhow, the whole project would be a lot more expensive than the FF, with less initial return - at least D FA lenses can be sold to the existing customer base.

Investing a lot of money to launch a fourth ecosystem and go head-to-head in a market that is fairly saturated with large, well-established competitors with greater economies of scale is just... suicidal. They'd be crazy to do it, and they're not going to do it.

It sounds like what you need is just a better adapter. Fotodiox or Novoflex or Metabones are who you should be harassing, although if there was money to be made in autofocus K-mount adapters, I would expect someone to have done it by now.
06-24-2015, 06:54 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by astron Quote
Let's be realistic everyone--the company has very, very limited resources. They're not going to divert from their current legacy lens families and camera designs because they have a lot invested. Do you seriously want the Ricoh version of the Leica T? Four whole lenses and counting! Lackluster compatibility with M-mount glass! Ricoh already tried to make a mirrorless system with GXR, which, even though it was interesting, was a failure.

The roadmap has no place for yet another experiment like the K-01. After the (partially unwarranted) blowback on K-S1 from the press, Ricoh is going to double down on being conservative and leaning on traditional SLRs with K-mount. FF is going to be a standard DSLR with signature Pentax tech and...its major selling point? Native K-mount support, of course! Why would you wish for anything but that? Keep it simple!

If you want mirrorless, buy into a mirrorless system that was designed that way from the ground up. We're not hurting for amazing, affordable choices from Fuji, Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic. Mirrorless designs only make sense if you're going to take advantage of the shorter flange distance and make lenses/bodies explicitly for it. That way the camera can be more compact. Legacy mirrorless is a contradiction in terms.

The closest you'll ever get to a K-02 is the K-S1. K-mount compatibility, compact, quirky looking, with faster AF and a 20 MP sensor. Plus, you get a bonus OVF! It's arguably a better use of that empty mirrorbox. Just shoot it in LV mode if you're so against using mirrors.
I really don't understand this fixation on the idea that mirrorless cameras have to be compact. Mirrorless cameras have other important advantages over traditional SLRs. Removal of the mirror eliminates a major source of vibration (only the "flagship" Pentax models have a true mirror lockup), along with removing the possibility of mechanical failure of that element. The other major advantage (for me) is that a quality EVF allows a preview of exposure through the viewfinder before the shot is taken, instead of having to check the LCD after the shot and adjusting as necessary. It also allows you to preview effects (e.g., to see what the scene will look like it B&W). Since I shoot a lot of high-contrast situations (e.g., dark birds against a bright sky), the ability to preview and adjust exposure without removing the camera from my face would be a major efficiency for me.

In regards to size, I have had a chance to play around with a friend's Olympus OMD EM1, and it is not "compact" by any means. It has almost the same dimensions as my K30, and it is actually larger than the Pentax ME (which, of course, was a full-frame K-mount body). I will concede that the lenses for MFT and other mirrorless systems can be more compact; however, people who want compact can invest in the Q system.

As far as I know, a K-mount mirrorless would be the only option in the market that would allow the use of legacy lenses without adapters, which (if true) would be a huge marketing advantage for Pentax over the other players in the mirrorless segment. I don't think "compactness" should be an obstacle to pursuing this business opportunity.
06-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BearCreek Quote
As far as I know, a K-mount mirrorless would be the only option in the market that would allow the use of legacy lenses without adapters, which (if true) would be a huge marketing advantage for Pentax over the other players in the mirrorless segment. I don't think "compactness" should be an obstacle to pursuing this business opportunity.
You are correct - the K-01 remains the ONLY legacy SLR/DSLR-mount mirrorless camera by any maker. It was also a sales flop, with size being one of the biggest criticisms, repeated again and again. Your point is valid, but the market said otherwise - loudly.

I have also noted that MILCs are creeping up in size towards DSLRs. The shorter registration distance on the new mounts also means that a body with the same dimensions can have additional electronics in the space that a legacy-mount body is forced to leave empty, meaning more features in a comparable package. It's hard for a legacy-mount MILC to be competitive.
06-24-2015, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
You are correct - the K-01 remains the ONLY legacy SLR/DSLR-mount mirrorless camera by any maker. It was also a sales flop, with size being one of the biggest criticisms, repeated again and again. Your point is valid, but the market said otherwise - loudly.
I remain absolutely convinced that the lack of an EVF is what doomed the K-01 (and it shares that trait with the also less-than-successful Canon EOS-M). but that may just be me.