Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best camera for time lapse

This may not be the right forum, but I am contemplating getting a camera with an electronic shutter for timelapse to keep from destroying my k3 shutter. Would any pentax cameras like the Q fit the bill for this, or are my only options with other systems?

Thanks!

08-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I use my K-r mostly to avoid doin the same to my K-50
08-16-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just because the shutter is rated for X actuations doesn't mean that it'll die as soon as you hit that number.
Not a ton of data here, but you can see a lot of shutters lasting much longer than they're rated for: Camera Shutter Life Database

---------- Post added 08-16-15 at 03:15 PM ----------

And if it dies, you can always get a used one from one of the people who have a camera for 2 years and then upgrade with a shutter count of under 1000. (I still do not understand that, but I see them pretty often)
08-16-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
This may not be the right forum, but I am contemplating getting a camera with an electronic shutter for timelapse to keep from destroying my k3 shutter. Would any pentax cameras like the Q fit the bill for this, or are my only options with other systems?

Thanks!
In another thread, you talk about getting a K-01 for that reason. I would think that would be a better option than a Q, because the K-01 and K-3 could natively share exactly the same lenses and give you exactly the same view with those lenses.

08-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes, I realized shortly after that post that the k-01 had the same shutter. For some reason I was thinking mirrorless=shutterless. Very incorrect, I know. Haha
08-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by willskywalker93 Quote
yes, I realized shortly after that post that the k-01 had the same shutter. For some reason I was thinking mirrorless=shutterless. Very incorrect, I know. Haha
The Q does have a leaf-shutter in the lens, but there is a menu option to use the electronic shutter only.
08-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I found the Q's intervalometer to be unreliable and I found focus creep an issue when making a time lapse of seeds sprouting using the 01 lens..
Another issue with the Q is each time the camera wakes up to take a shot, the SR system wobbles and doesn't settle in precisely the same position making each frame very slightly different. Didn't matter if SR was off and sensor cleaning was disabled. I also had exposure inconsistencies even with exposure locked.. In short, the [original] Q is unsuitable for time lapse in my opinion.
Note also that using the Q for time lapse means you will need the AC adapter as the batteries don't last long enough.

10-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #8

I do lots of time lapse. I have used an ist*, K100, K5 and now a K3. I purchased a K-01 expecting to,use it for time lapse but don't see how to turn off the display and the monitor runs down the battery rather quickly. Is it possible to turn off the display? While I can tether it to a power supply indoors, it is not practical out of doors doing sunsets etc...
10-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #9

Turning off display in K-01

QuoteOriginally posted by BugEZ Quote
I.... purchased a K-01 expecting to,use it for time lapse but don't see how to turn off the display and the monitor runs down the battery rather quickly. Is it possible to turn off the display? While I can tether it to a power supply indoors, it is not practical out of doors doing sunsets etc...
Click INFO button twice.

Then select the third option to the right -"display off"

To recover the LCD display

Click INFO button twice.

Then select the first option at the left.
10-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
Click INFO button twice.
Then select the third option to the right -"display off"
To recover the LCD display
Click INFO button twice.
Then select the first option at the left.
And just to be clear, to start a timelapse without rear display (on the K-01):
  • hit Info twice
  • select Display Off (display turns off)
  • hit Menu (display turns on) and go set your interval shooting parameters
  • select Start Shooting in the Interval Shooting screen (display turns off)
  • hit the shutter to start the interval
10-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #11

Johnhilvert and Doundounba

Many thanks for these tips!

BugEZ