Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think the desire to make a smartphone truly competitive with a purpose-built camera is misguided.

I'm perfectly happy to carry a smartphone AND a Q / 01, so why would I want them integrated?

In fact, I'm perfectly happy to use my smartphone camera for grab shots. I can upload them to the web (even PF) seamlessly, they're automatically stored in the cloud, and they look good enough (for what they are) that using a free-standing camera would be counter-productive.

OTOH, if I know I'm taking a walk with the likely opportunity to make a 'keeper' or printable capture I can carry at least a Q and 3 lenses in a pouch, if not a full dSLR and lenses.
I agree with you but we are enthousiasts. I think many people going on vacations, to a hike or whatever knowing they will make some photo still think their smartphone will be enough

They may not care as much on ultimate photo quality... Even through the most limiting factor today for a smartphone is maybe the fixed prime lense than lack of quality of the pictures. In good conditions, a Smartphone shoot look quite well.

11-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I agree with you but we are enthousiasts. I think many people going on vacations, to a hike or whatever knowing they will make some photo still think their smartphone will be enough

They may not care as much on ultimate photo quality... Even through the most limiting factor today for a smartphone is maybe the fixed prime lense than lack of quality of the pictures. In good conditions, a Smartphone shoot look quite well.
Those three words define where the industry is headed. Enthusiasts (and pros) will buy cameras. Everyone else will buy multi-purpose devices that are 'good enough'. Soccer moms only bought dLSR's because all the other soccer moms had them. After a time all the other soccer moms were using their phone to make Facebook posts. ILC camera volume will probably return to the pre- digital conversion, pre- 'every household has one' consumerist level.

The question is what will happen to camera manufacturers - to the interchangeable lens camera and lens manufacturing industry - and at what price will cameras and lenses be available for enthusiasts and pros to buy them.

Q is very good at doing what it is intended to do, for those who want to do that.
11-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Those three words define where the industry is headed. Enthusiasts (and pros) will buy cameras. Everyone else will buy multi-purpose devices that are 'good enough'. Soccer moms only bought dLSR's because all the other soccer moms had them. After a time all the other soccer moms were using their phone to make Facebook posts. ILC camera volume will probably return to the pre- digital conversion, pre- 'every household has one' consumerist level.

The question is what will happen to camera manufacturers - to the interchangeable lens camera and lens manufacturing industry - and at what price will cameras and lenses be available for enthusiasts and pros to buy them.

Q is very good at doing what it is intended to do, for those who want to do that.
Oh I think every household in rich country had a film camera or 2 but people were not upgrading every 2-3 years (still not for many). At least everybody in my familly had a camera.

But they would not change it every year, not even every 10 years. Digital made things much easier and every mother/father/familly has his digital camera. More or less everybody acquired 1-2 digital cameras in a 10 years period. Now everybody has one.

Like for film, half discovered they are not interrested anyway (or still not interrested after all). but they own the gear.

Why should they buy more? Nothing as changed since then and they couldn't figure a difference between the old and new camera model.

Hey, even if your are enthousiast, there less and less difference between models. What the difference between K5 and K5-II? D800 & D810? K30 and K50 ? OMD-10 and OMD-10 II ? Nothing to write home about.

To drive sales up, you need something that will motivate people to buy and not the latest BSI sensor doesn't count. Most people don't even know the size of their camera sensor and don't give a sh... to what BSI is.
03-18-2016, 04:35 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I don't see much point in this. By using a pancake lens, the lens will most likely be much slower than lenses used in most smartphones, so you would not gain much by using a larger sensor. And as Q mount has a register distance of 9.2 mm, the phone would be at least 15 mm thick without a lens attached, probably 20+ mm if using SR.
I use phone that is 15 mm thick and I'm happy with it; there is no real reason why it needs to be thinner. However, Pentax Q mount is terribly oversized compared to 1/1.7" sensor it houses. Phone mount should be small like M12 board mount.

---------- Post added 03-18-16 at 06:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Interesting idea! But, like @Fogel70 said above, I think Ricoh would have a better chance at making a stand alone sensor module like the Olympus Air that can be clipped onto the phone. This may sell better in Japan than elsewhere since the Q mount is not as popular as something like u4/3. It may help promote the mount, though, so it would be interesting indeed!
The problem is, making this detachable camera operable with various kind of phones is difficult. This is why DXO made camera for Iphones and not Androids, which are loosely standartized.