Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Apart from size, there's weight...
I can feel my neck & shoulders thanking me every time I bring my K-01 instead of my K100Ds, which is not that large, but considerably heavier.

12-02-2015, 07:11 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I think the Q series is an excellent foray into mirror less, but I really wish they'd used a larger sensor size.
the Q bodies may not be as small for its sensor compared to the m4/3s and 1"s, but the lens system is significantly smaller. Too bad there won't be more for the Q in the near future as almost all resources seem poured into the FF
12-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
the Q bodies may not be as small for its sensor compared to the m4/3s and 1"s, but the lens system is significantly smaller. Too bad there won't be more for the Q in the near future as almost all resources seem poured into the FF
How much resources does it take to re-badge a Tamron lens?
12-03-2015, 01:47 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
How much resources does it take to re-badge a Tamron lens?
I don't know what other formats Tamron makes a lens for. Because of the small sensor, a Q-mount lens needs to resolve really well - most of the lenses I've adapted just don't hit each pixel with unique light. It also should be as small as it could be, and the control / electronics for Q is probably unique.

Last edited by reh321; 12-03-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: put into context
12-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't know what other formats Tamron makes a lens for. Because of the small sensor, a Q-mount lens needs to resolve really well - most of the lenses I've adapted just don't hit each pixel with unique light. It also should be as small as it could be, and the control / electronics for Q is probably unique.
I think you missed my point...

I was trying to say that supporting the new full-frame K-1 is not going to require vast "resources" because they can re-badge third party lenses that are already on the market, just like the new Pentax-D FA 24-70mm that is currently featured on the front page here at Pentax Forums. Thus they can conserve those precious "resources" for things that are unique to Pentax: 645 lenses, Limiteds, and Q lenses.
12-04-2015, 01:12 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I was trying to say that supporting the new full-frame K-1 is not going to require vast "resources" because they can re-badge third party lenses that are already on the market, just like the new Pentax-D FA 24-70mm that is currently featured on the front page here at Pentax Forums. Thus they can conserve those precious "resources" for things that are unique to Pentax: 645 lenses, Limiteds, and Q lenses.
They had to come into a deal with Tamron because they couldn't get more unique lenses ready for the imminent release of the new body. This means Pentax don't have enough time and financing to hold off until an in-house design is released. How else can there be no other developments awaiting announcement? Unless of course Pentax is keeping those under a thick veil of secrecy until a formal reveal has been arranged.
12-31-2015, 01:27 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster

OK - I thought you were saying that Tamron might re-engineer their 18-270 lens and turn it into a native Q lens.
As a physics minor, I know something about the theory of optics, but I know nothing about practical optics, so I have absolutely no idea whether going from an APS-C lens to a Q lens (which would require a smaller lens, but one that resolves better) would be easier than starting from scratch.

I would love for Pentax to announce something, anything, at CES 2016.
I would love for Pentax to announce a 18-270 native Q lens, or anything for the Q
Maybe all of Pentaxia is so focused on the upcoming FF that no other news can escape from the company.

However, from what I am seeing, the FF effort has sucked up all Pentax energy for now.
I hope that I am wrong.

I am not saying that the FF effort is bad.
I am saying there may be a substantial "opportunity cost" to that effort.

Last edited by reh321; 12-31-2015 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added thoughts