Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FF versus mirrorless

I am another one with great expectations for the new FF coming out in the spring (or thereabouts). I presently have a K-5 and all my lenses are FF compatible except for one. Even though we welcome this new addition from pentax it seems that a FF mirrorless is the wave of the future. So why not stick with a perfectly good APS-C and wait for pentax to come out with the FF mirrorless. Obviously we don't know if or even when that may happen but thought I'd throw out there what is going through my mind to get your input. Forgive me if this seems too speculative as I don't mean to start another one of those threads, but just a point for the sake of discussion and the pros and cons of pulling the trigger on a full frame DSLR or waiting for a mirrorless FF. Thanks.

12-31-2015, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ric Quote
I am another one with great expectations for the new FF coming out in the spring (or thereabouts). I presently have a K-5 and all my lenses are FF compatible except for one. Even though we welcome this new addition from pentax it seems that a FF mirrorless is the wave of the future. So why not stick with a perfectly good APS-C and wait for pentax to come out with the FF mirrorless. Obviously we don't know if or even when that may happen but thought I'd throw out there what is going through my mind to get your input. Forgive me if this seems too speculative as I don't mean to start another one of those threads, but just a point for the sake of discussion and the pros and cons of pulling the trigger on a full frame DSLR or waiting for a mirrorless FF. Thanks.
The main benefit of mirrorless is the smaller size of the body. However, to keep using pentax k-mount lenses, you have to keep the k-mount and retain its registration distance. So, you won't get any smaller of a body. Or, lose the k-mount compatibility and create a whole new lens lineup in a new mount just to get that smaller body. Why? No idea. I'm perfectly fine with the size of the K-3 and hopefully they can create a FF camera around that size. I've got no problem with a slightly larger body as well. Just keep those perfect ergonomics and great handling.
12-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it seems that a FF mirrorless is the wave of the future.
"Seems" is the operative word here. The biggest plus in my eyes is the ability, for those makers who see fit to allow for it, of using others' lenses on your camera (hello, LBA).

So why not stick with a perfectly good APS-C and wait for pentax to come out with the FF mirrorless.
Because that may never happen, and if it does there isn't even the hint of a timeline for it. Pentax's APS-C mirrorless (the K-01) wasn't exactly a barn-burner; Ricoh Imaging may be once-bitten, twice shy on that one. I think you're likely to see at least two full-frame DSLR bodies (high end or low end or FF and FF Mark II) before you see a mirrorless FF with Pentax on it.

One of the reasons I'm not keen on mirrorless is that in order to see exactly what you're going to get, the sensor must always be "hot" and the EVF or the screen back always active, which eats batteries. There's no quiet mode, where you can just zoom, compose/prefocus and wait at leisure, then wake the camera up with half a shutter press before taking the shot. Better power storage and more economical (and faster-responding) EVFs might fix that problem, which would be good from my perspective because I wouldn't at all mind a retro-style full-frame DSLR in a Pentax MX-sized body, possibly even with Pentax MX-style control knobs and a decrippled K mount for working with film-era aperture rings.
12-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I do not buy the idea that mirrorless is the future. No one can predict exactly what the future trend is . remembering OVF+ Mirror+ mirrorless functions = DSLR. All the techinical advances in mirrorless side can also apply to DSLR. So DSLR always delivers more functionalities than mirrorless.

Moreover, for mirrorless FF, it is not fun when people gets a 300g body and hold a 1000g lens.. For those people who like compact and lightweight, new generation of cell phone camera might be a much better solution... For example, it is not impossible for a cell phone to employ mutlpile sensors+ lenses in front so it can get super-resolution photos and 3D photos automatically.

Last edited by starjedi; 12-31-2015 at 01:54 PM.
12-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it seems that a FF mirrorless is the wave of the future.
That is highly debatable, and has been debated endlessly here and elsewhere. If you want mirrorless there are good choices out there. Waiting for Pentax to make one is not one of those choices. I think you will be waiting a very long time before you see a mirrorless from Pentax except for the Q.

Personally I would be interested in a mirrorless k-mount. Or a mirrorless body that came with a fully functional k-mount adapter. But I really doubt we will see that, at least for some years.
12-31-2015, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #6
HYS
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The main benefit of mirrorless is the smaller size of the body. ....
Well but not only. No mirror movement, no vibrations.
12-31-2015, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For me the advantage of mirrorless is the EVF.
This is a very useful tool for manual focus.
Focussing through an OVF will seldom give you optimum results in sharpness.

12-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
Well but not only. No mirror movement, no vibrations.
I didn't say "only". And are vibrations really that big of an issue? Granted, most of my shots are hand held. But I don't see many of my photos messed up because of mirror vibration.
12-31-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
Moreover, for mirrorless FF, it is not fun when people gets a 300g body and hold a 1000g lens.
This is my principle reason for not being very bullish on mirrorless FF. And it's also why I suspect that, when Ricoh/Pentax does finally get around to coming out with a large sensor mirrorless camera (it ain't happening any time soon), it will be APS-C, both for reasons of cost and to keep the lens sizes down. If Pentax were to produce a compact weather sealed APS-C mirrorless with 5-axis IBIS (along with some high quality compact weather-sealed zooms), that would definitely picque my interest. But another FF mirrorless system with over-sized zooms? Not sure I get that.
12-31-2015, 02:10 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
For me the advantage of mirrorless is the EVF.
This is a very useful tool for manual focus.
Focussing through an OVF will seldom give you optimum results in sharpness.
But you can manually focus with live view if you need to. I think that works well with focus peaking.
12-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, it works, but I don't like it, not ergonomic, you cannot hold the camera steady.
12-31-2015, 02:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Moreover, for mirrorless FF, it is not fun when people gets a 300g body and hold a 1000g lens.
As I have said in many different settings, for that reason "event" photography (athletics, weddings, ...) will be the last users of DSLR techonology
For those people who like compact and lightweight, new generation of cell phone camera might be a much better solution... For example, it is not impossible for a cell phone to employ mutlpile sensors+ lenses in front so it can get super-resolution photos and 3D photos automatically.
Nine days ago my family went to a concert. I took my Q-7, and virtually all the pictures I took were at "35mm equivalence" of 150mm - 200mm. The primary goal of cell phone manufacturers in recent years has been to have a fairly thin body; I have a hard time believing that they can optically provide reasonable pictures like that, because it would require either a really tiny sensor (and the resulting IQ issues) or an unacceptably long lens.
12-31-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As I have said in many different settings, for that reason "event" photography (athletics, weddings, ...) will be the last users of DSLR techonology
Nine days ago my family went to a concert. I took my Q-7, and virtually all the pictures I took were at "35mm equivalence" of 150mm - 200mm. The primary goal of cell phone manufacturers in recent years has been to have a fairly thin body; I have a hard time believing that they can optically provide reasonable pictures like that, because it would require either a really tiny sensor (and the resulting IQ issues) or an unacceptably long lens.
Do not underestimate the power of technology innovation. Eagle's eye has the similar size of human's eye but it's eyesight is 4-8 times better than human. It is a biological answer to your question that a tiny sensor with advanced technology can do.. :-)
12-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Do not underestimate the power of technology innovation. Eagle's eye has the similar size of human's eye but it's eyesight is 4-8 times better than human. It is a biological answer to your question that a tiny sensor with advanced technology can do.. :-)
So maybe someday a cell phone like device will replace all cameras. But not just MILC. And not anytime soon.
12-31-2015, 04:59 PM   #15
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
But you can manually focus with live view if you need to. I think that works well with focus peaking.
it's definitely more accurate than using an ovf, but live view on a dslr usually requires mirror-up mode? there are limitations to using that... canon re-designed the 5ds series mirror assembly, to give less vibration, but sony implemented efcs on the a7rii, good up to 1/1000th, which means zero mirror vibration(of course) and zero shutter vibration.

there is still a momentary lapse in the evf right after the shutter is triggered, but that won't be an issue in a couple of more years... for now dslrs are better in that respect, if you want high fps, it's still a dslr world.

anyone looking at mirrorless might want to test drive the evf first... i bought the a7r sight unseen, love the evf, but a few people have complained that the evf makes 'em seasick or whatever.