Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2015, 05:21 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
For me the advantage of mirrorless is the EVF.
This is a very useful tool for manual focus.
Focussing through an OVF will seldom give you optimum results in sharpness.
We achieved critical focus just fine prior to something like 2010. Especially with ancient technology like film cameras.

To me an EVF is a bug, not a feature.

12-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
I do not buy the idea that mirrorless is the future.
Neither do I.
12-31-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I will never under any circumstances by a mirroless as a first body, A play toy maybe.
12-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I will never under any circumstances by a mirroless as a first body, A play toy maybe.
I used to feel the same way....then I picked up a GR. Brilliant camera. Give me a 3 pack of these (24/50/75) and I would be happy for a very very long time. Ricoh has the perfect foundation/layout for multiple mirroless offerings in the GR, they simply need to develop new variations. A ff ILC "GR" would be a Sony killer.

12-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I've picked up a number of mirrorless over the holidays and I haven't been impressed at all.

The lag in Henry's which is a very well lit store, made me feel like throwing up. Why would anyone subject themselves to that?

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh has the perfect foundation/layout for multiple mirroless offerings in the GR, they simply need to develop new variations.
Going after Sony's market share is a waste of time. They are still small player in the camera business. Nothing you say is anything other than a hope and a prayer. You hope new variations would produce positive results, but that's not a certainty by a long shot. iN fact it's the other way around, it's a long shot, a unlikely very long shot.

Last edited by normhead; 12-31-2015 at 08:53 PM.
12-31-2015, 10:55 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ric Quote
Even though we welcome this new addition from pentax it seems that a FF mirrorless is the wave of the future.
???

Sony's FF releases over the last three years do not seem to have triggered interest from the other established mirrorless manufacturers ... Samsung, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic.

Their marketing departments don't agree with you.

Last edited by clackers; 12-31-2015 at 11:13 PM.
01-01-2016, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sony's FF releases over the last three years do not seem to have triggered interest
...even Hasselblad have refused to come out with a luxury re-make of the A7rII with a black solid titanium body with polished buttons carved from the teeth of famous photographers and genuine ostrich leather grip for 4X the market price.

01-01-2016, 12:32 AM   #23

Eh... I'm not a fan of mirrorless and there's plenty of people out there who feel the same way.
01-01-2016, 02:00 AM   #24
HYS
Veteran Member

The oblique mirror has to be infinitely thin not to introduce the unpleasant astigmatism.

Last edited by HYS; 01-01-2016 at 02:50 AM.
01-01-2016, 02:37 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We achieved critical focus just fine prior to something like 2010. Especially with ancient technology like film cameras
1. The OVF were better (better groundglass, split prism) and larger (FF).
2. Perfect sharpness was seldom reached.
But with film in those days this was not such an important issue compared to today with 100% view.

I don't say, it is not possible, e.g. with focus bracketing you can get what you want. But it is slow.
I also don't say that perfect sharpness is always necessary.
And I know its disadvantages. It consumes battery, is often noisy, has lag etc.
It's just good to have that option.
01-01-2016, 05:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

But with film in those days this was not such an important issue compared to today with 100% view.
I do print of negatives up to 30x45 cm and i'm going to try something bigger from 6x7 neg, and i can assure you that critical focusing is as much important as if it was taken with a DSLR.
The idea that film can allow you to have less focus image be perfectly fine when blow up is just a fantasy, according to my experience.

The focusing was easier on film camera because those who created the camera, also created the various screen within specifications, and THAT allowed fine focusing possible. Katzeye and focusingscreen.com do great job at shiming screen for various brand of DSLR, but the thickness of those screen isn't the same as the OEM one, hence, creating some focus shift under some circumstances. And that is a pain.

If a brand wants to really kill EVF, just bring some easy to swap, and very high quality, focusing screen, and that's it ! Friends of mine, who never used film camera did a fantastic job at nailing shoots on a 67 / and 135mm SuperA.
01-01-2016, 05:21 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We achieved critical focus just fine prior to something like 2010. Especially with ancient technology like film cameras.

To me an EVF is a bug, not a feature.
Wow! Very harsh!

A bug is an unintentional side effect to something. Perhaps better to just say it's not for you?

J
01-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

New focus screens for the K1 would bee very cool!

But I doubt it.
Pentax is not interested in this.
At least here in Germany, whenever we talked about aperture coupler, manual focus etc. with a Pentax representative, they always dismissed it and made jokes about it.
01-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #29
Pentaxian

New focus screens for the K1 would bee very cool!

But I doubt it.
Pentax is not interested in this.
At least here in Germany, whenever we talked about aperture coupler, manual focus etc. with a Pentax representative, they always dismissed it and made jokes about it.
That's because they work making consumer products, and you're talking about products for hobbyists.
01-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
Wow! Very harsh!

A bug is an unintentional side effect to something. Perhaps better to just say it's not for you?

J
Bear in mind that just a couple days ago, in another thread, a fan of EVFs pronounced OVFs to be "dead" despite any evidence otherwise (and he didn't even preface it with "to me,"). The rhetoric on both sides tends to get rather exaggerated.

I think we all know that both types of tools have their uses, strengths, and weaknesses. But if you say Char-Grill should sell tacos in front of a bunch of guys wearing "I heart Char-Grill burgers" tee-shirts, you probably should expect a fairly negative response.