Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The next Q model sensor

I have the original Q and the Q7 which was such an improvement in image quality that the Q just never gets used. If the 2014 Q-s1 uses the same sensor as the 2013 Q7 then what could we expect to see with a new Q in 2016 or 2017?

If they went with a stacked BSI sensor with PDAF maybe we could see as much improvement again. Ricoh might as well leverage the developments in phone sensors to make what is thought of as a disadvantage into an advantage.

Thoughts?

03-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Although I hope to be mistaken, I think the Q-S1 is the last Q we will ever see. There's no sign that a new Q, or lenses, will be launched anytime soon. Even worst, RP doesn't even look interested anymore in developing this line of products...

So, I don't hold my breath for new sensor. Although I would really love to see a new Q.
03-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Although I hope to be mistaken, I think the Q-S1 is the last Q we will ever see. There's no sign that a new Q, or lenses, will be launched anytime soon. Even worst, RP doesn't even look interested anymore in developing this line of products...

So, I don't hold my breath for new sensor. Although I would really love to see a new Q.
If anything along these lines were to happen, I think they should limit the Q line to Japan, since that's where it really sells. But I really do believe that a new model will be launched as resources allow.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-15-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If anything along these lines were to happen, I think they should limit the Q line to Japan, since that's where it really sells. But I really do believe that a new model will be launched as resources allow.
Didn't they say in the interview there's a new lens coming this spring?

03-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I also recall a recent interview in which Ricoh confirmed the long promised Q macro was still in the pipeline.
Don't remember which interview....
03-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Didn't they say in the interview there's a new lens coming this spring?
CP+ 2016 PF Interview: "The Q line is still a current line, but we focused our limited resources on the K-1. We plan to release the roadmapped Q-mount macro lens in the near future."

My Ricoh-to-English translator can't decide if "near future" means "this spring" or "this year", but I think it's usually at the 'sooner' end of vague dates.
03-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

After a decade of rapid sensor improvements, it seems as if sensor tech has hit a plateau. While I would like the next Q to have better low light performance, I'm not holding my breath. But improved AF would be nice.

03-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

can Q mount accept 1 inch sensor!
the original Q sensor was smaller than the q7 sensor!!!
03-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
can Q mount accept 1 inch sensor!
the original Q sensor was smaller than the q7 sensor!!!
No the lenses dont cover more than the current 1/1.7" but that sensor size has seen major developments due to cell phones. There are sensors of the same size that outperform the one in the Q-S1
03-15-2016, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If anything along these lines were to happen, I think they should limit the Q line to Japan, since that's where it really sells.
Nooooooooo!! Although, even with Japan-only release, there's always eBay
03-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
CP+ 2016 PF Interview: "The Q line is still a current line, but we focused our limited resources on the K-1. We plan to release the roadmapped Q-mount macro lens in the near future."

My Ricoh-to-English translator can't decide if "near future" means "this spring" or "this year", but I think it's usually at the 'sooner' end of vague dates.
Problem is, RP said almost the same thing in the CP+ 2015 interview: "We are still developing the Q system, but are now concentrating all efforts on full-frame development. This includes lenses. The full-frame system is a priority.". And the macro lens is on the roadmap as "planned" since 2013... And was even hinted at in 2012 as a "telephoto prime" that PF was expecting to be available before the end of 2012...

I will probably buy the macro lens if it ever gets on the market. But I will believe it when I see it...
03-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Although, even with Japan-only release, there's always eBay
And Amazon.co.jp, which allows shipping to other countries.
03-15-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Problem is, RP said almost the same thing in the CP+ 2015 interview: "We are still developing the Q system, but are now concentrating all efforts on full-frame development. This includes lenses. The full-frame system is a priority.". And the macro lens is on the roadmap as "planned" since 2013... And was even hinted at in 2012 as a "telephoto prime" that PF was expecting to be available before the end of 2012...
Actually, in Ricoh-speak, that's not the same at all. In 2015, they flat out said they were only working on FF, not Q. In 2016, they say they had been working only on FF, but plan to release the Q macro zoom in the near future. That's a lot more specific than "planned" or "we are considering it" or even "we're working on it". They generally don't name a particular product and say "near future" until they are close to a release.
03-15-2016, 06:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I bought my 01 lens from a Japanese merchant via Amazon because it seemed to be "Japanese only" at the time.
03-15-2016, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Happy with the Q7 as it is, but would look into any improvements.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo