Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2016, 02:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
After a decade of rapid sensor improvements, it seems as if sensor tech has hit a plateau. While I would like the next Q to have better low light performance, I'm not holding my breath. But improved AF would be nice.
Yup, faster AF will be very much welcome. At the cost of a few millimeters, I'd also want a tilting LCD and a small 6mm Prime would be most welcome.

03-16-2016, 03:03 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
... a small 6mm Prime would be most welcome.
+1
03-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
Yup, faster AF will be very much welcome. At the cost of a few millimeters, I'd also want a tilting LCD and a small 6mm Prime would be most welcome.
Yes, a tilting LCD would be very nice.
They have submitted two patents in the past year for primes around 4mm in length; I would prefer one of them to 6mm, but I wouldn't necessarily refuse to buy 6mm, depending on how they priced it.
03-18-2016, 04:00 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
can Q mount accept 1 inch sensor!
the original Q sensor was smaller than the q7 sensor!!!
Sure it can. However Pentax has other priorities at the moment.

04-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alliumnsk Quote
Sure it can. However Pentax has other priorities at the moment.
I hope we see a new Q at Photokina that has faster AF and processors. The priorities now are K1 and later on itīs new lenses to K1.
The 645 are now after K1 in need of a upgrade and a new K3 based on K1 or K1 and KS-2 can perhaps seen on Photokina in September.
A new external viewfinder that works on Q, Richo GR and "other" cameras (KO-2) most come too.
05-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Any new Q I think would benefit from value adds such as WiFi or Bluetooth and maybe GPS. More easily allowing image sharing on such a camera makes more sense. It's supposed to be a fun and convenient camera. I do use my original Q but I think it needs a better response time, better video and a way better screen to have a future.

Oh, and all at a pretty low price.
05-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
No the lenses dont cover more than the current 1/1.7" but that sensor size has seen major developments due to cell phones. There are sensors of the same size that outperform the one in the Q-S1
This doesn't mean a one-inch sensor couldn't be used in a new Q. I'm pretty sure we've determined that the Q lens circle can cover a 2/3 sensor, similar to that used in Fuji's compacts up to and including the X30. Why not go with that and use the extra sensor real estate in order to allow multi-aspect functionality, a la Panasonic LX100 with its larger 4/3 sensor?

Of course, Ricoh could also go with the latest-generation 1/1.7" sensor, which as others have posted, have been developed for phone cameras. The 1/1.7" sensors in both my Q-S1 and Olympus Stylus 1 give very good results.

05-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
This doesn't mean a one-inch sensor couldn't be used in a new Q. I'm pretty sure we've determined that the Q lens circle can cover a 2/3 sensor, similar to that used in Fuji's compacts up to and including the X30. Why not go with that and use the extra sensor real estate in order to allow multi-aspect functionality, a la Panasonic LX100 with its larger 4/3 sensor?
Why not a one-inch sensor? This suggestion comes up regularly, and I regularly make the same response. Many of us were attracted to the Q family because of how it turns the K-mount lenses we already have into really nice birding lenses. Go from the 4.7 crop-factor of the Q-7/Q-S2 to the 2.7 crop-factor of a one-inch sensor, and the camera becomes just another camera to us.

05-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Why not a one-inch sensor? This suggestion comes up regularly, and I regularly make the same response. Many of us were attracted to the Q family because of how it turns the K-mount lenses we already have into really nice birding lenses. Go from the 4.7 crop-factor of the Q-7/Q-S2 to the 2.7 crop-factor of a one-inch sensor, and the camera becomes just another camera to us.
I understand your concerns, which are legitimate. I often use my Q-S1 in the same way. Why not a crop mode, a la K1? Perhaps not in every Q body, but how about a Q "Limited" with a crop function? And, even when using the 4.7 crop factor, you'd still enjoy the larger photo sites of the one-inch sensor.

Last edited by Biro; 05-15-2016 at 06:17 PM.
05-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I understand your concerns, which are legitimate. I often use my Q-S1 in the same way. Why not a crop mode, a la K1? Perhaps not in every Q body, but how about a Q "Limited" with a crop function? And, even when using the 4.7 crop factor, you'd still enjoy the larger photo sites of the one-inch sensor.
Larger sites, but how many of them? At one time it was suggested to me that I'd be better off taking a picture with my K-30 and then cropping to get the same effect as taking a picture with the same lens on my Q-7. However, controlled backyard testing showed that the Q-7 worked better, because it put so many more pixels into the effort.
06-15-2016, 06:43 AM   #26

Incidentally, the 1/1.7" is significantly larger than any cell phone camera sensor I've ever heard of. The largest cell phone camera sensor I'm aware of was the one on the Nokia Lumia 1520, a 1/2.5" sensor, which is slightly smaller than the original Q sensor (1/2.3"), though it was 20 a megapixel sensor.
06-30-2016, 05:45 AM   #27
Death89

I used to have the frankly amazing Nokia N8-00 with it's 12mp 1/1.7" 28mm f2.8 Zeiss camera / lens combo. It's what got me onto photography in the first place. Amazing phone and camera, and the 808 that came after was a 41mp 1/1.2" 26mm f2.4 for those that haven't heard of the pair. I still wish someone in the current smartphone market would try to at least equal the N8.
06-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #28

Your post prompted me to look into this a bit further, and I found that there are actually several cell phone cameras that have a sensor the same size as the original Q, but very few that have one bigger than that, most of them Nokias, and only three that I found with as large or larger sensor than the Q7/Q-S1. Two of those you mentioned, the Nokia N8-00 (same size) and the Nokia PureView 808 (bigger as mentioned). The third is more a camera with a cell phone attached than a cell phone with a camera, and that is the Panasonic Lumix CM1, with a 1" sensor.
06-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
Your post prompted me to look into this a bit further, and I found that there are actually several cell phone cameras that have a sensor the same size as the original Q, but very few that have one bigger than that, most of them Nokias, and only three that I found with as large or larger sensor than the Q7/Q-S1. Two of those you mentioned, the Nokia N8-00 (same size) and the Nokia PureView 808 (bigger as mentioned). The third is more a camera with a cell phone attached than a cell phone with a camera, and that is the Panasonic Lumix CM1, with a 1" sensor.
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge has a 1/2.3, 12 megapickle sensor with a 26mm EQ F1.7 lens with mechanical image stabilization. The camera can shoot RAW too. I'd judge the IQ close to the original Q, perhaps a touch behind.

Last edited by johnmflores; 03-07-2017 at 06:13 AM.
06-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Samsung are developing a 1/1.7'' sensor for their smart phones, no idea of when it'll be available.

Samsung S4 Zoom(18mp) and Samsung K Zoom(20mp) both do reasonably good jpegs with their 1/2.3'' sensors.

---------- Post added 07-01-16 at 09:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CFWhitman Quote
Panasonic Lumix CM1, with a 1" sensor
I considered this but thought that the 15fps video wasn't good enough.