Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #31
Death89

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been tempted by the Panasonic CM1 myself in the past but there'd be little point when I have an RX100 to use when the k-50 is too big. In most conditions the N8 gave similar photos to the RX100, but crucially suffered when it was dark and the flash wasn't an option.

08-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Put a 1" sensor in the body of my Olympus OM-D E-M10 and I would be a happy camper for my purposes.
If you are thinking small, at the present state of tech, a 1" sensor is the sweet spot.
Otherwise, speaking only for myself, a "small ILC" sounds like a contradiction in terms. The way most folks, apparently use their Q, I would much prefer my Panasonic ZS50.

Take a look at this old post of mine -

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/299366-look...ml#post3309360

Last edited by wildman; 08-06-2016 at 11:32 PM.
08-07-2016, 11:30 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Put a 1" sensor in the body of my Olympus OM-D E-M10 and I would be a happy camper for my purposes.
If you are thinking small, at the present state of tech, a 1" sensor is the sweet spot.
Otherwise, speaking only for myself, a "small ILC" sounds like a contradiction in terms. The way most folks, apparently use their Q, I would much prefer my Panasonic
OK, so our preferences differ. I really like the "magnification" {yes, I know we can argue about proper terminology, but this is the wording normhead prefers - and now I see that you also use that term in the other thread} my reasonably inexpensive Sigma 70-300mm lens gives me via my Q-7 {these pictures were all taken from a seat on the back deck of our house}

Last edited by reh321; 08-07-2016 at 11:53 PM. Reason: expanded comment
08-26-2016, 03:05 AM   #34

New Q-sensor camera with Pixel Shift is just begging to be made. That would be enough of a reason to upgrade for me. Pentax needs to double-down on Pixel Shift technology, it really sets them apart, however little it gets used, it's a feature with direct impact on image quality. As good as I think the images coming out of my Q are, I dream of how much better they could be (for still life and such).

Phone cameras with similarly tiny sensors have such amazing image quality nowadays, sometimes I wonder what would it be like to have a lens on my phone other than 28mm focal length equivalent with fixed aperture. Then I know, that's what the Q is for. The race for bigger sensors isn't so terribly important anymore.

08-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #35
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered a Q7 with the two zoomies. As much as I like the K-50, it does occasionally get a bit heavy, especially on hot, humid days when I'm walking the dog.

A question about sensor size:

The size is expressed as 1/1.7", which, according to my calculator, is about .588", or a hair less than 15mm. Why don't they just use that instead?
09-06-2016, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rlg118 Quote
The size is expressed as 1/1.7", which, according to my calculator, is about .588", or a hair less than 15mm. Why don't they just use that instead?
The Q7 frame has a 9.5mm diagonal.

"Sizes are often expressed as a fraction of an inch, with a one in the numerator, and a decimal number in the denominator. For example, 1/2.5 converts to 2/5 as a simple fraction, or 0.4 as a decimal number. This "inch" system brings a result approximately 1.5 times the length of the diagonal of the sensor. This "optical format" measure goes back to the way image sizes of video cameras used until the late 1980s were expressed, referring to the outside diameter of the glass envelope of the video camera tube."

From: Image sensor format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
02-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
OK, so our preferences differ. I really like the "magnification" {yes, I know we can argue about proper terminology, but this is the wording normhead prefers - and now I see that you also use that term in the other thread} my reasonably inexpensive Sigma 70-300mm lens gives me via my Q-7 {these pictures were all taken from a seat on the back deck of our house}

Hi reh321,
Your photos taken with the K to Q adapter look great what adapter did you use?
I just purchased the " Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K Lens to Pentax Q Series Camera ".
I hope this hasn't been poorly spent money.
Cheers,
Peter.

02-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by picpete Quote
Hi reh321,
Your photos taken with the K to Q adapter look great what adapter did you use?
I just purchased the " Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K Lens to Pentax Q Series Camera ".
I hope this hasn't been poorly spent money.
Cheers,
Peter.
Those particular pictures were taken with the Pentax adapter.
I have several other adapters also, but I don't remember which ones.
My primary reason for getting the Pentax one was "an abundance of caution" - I was able to get a good price on a used Pentax one {with tripod foot} and I had been wondering whether the rolling shutter could cause little-noticed but real effects, basically slight imperfections that would add up to a noticeable reduction in IQ, so I got the Pentax adapter just to be sure I was doing the best I can {but a comparison is hard to come by, because each picture is unique, so I still cannot tell whether it is a good investment}.
02-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Those particular pictures were taken with the Pentax adapter.
I have several other adapters also, but I don't remember which ones.
My primary reason for getting the Pentax one was "an abundance of caution" - I was able to get a good price on a used Pentax one {with tripod foot} and I had been wondering whether the rolling shutter could cause little-noticed but real effects, basically slight imperfections that would add up to a noticeable reduction in IQ, so I got the Pentax adapter just to be sure I was doing the best I can {but a comparison is hard to come by, because each picture is unique, so I still cannot tell whether it is a good investment}.
Thanks
reh321
for the reply
I cancelled the Fotodiox, and ordered the Pentax adapter.
It is hard to purchase in Canada. Found one at Henry's.
Cheers.
Peter.
03-01-2017, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If anything along these lines were to happen, I think they should limit the Q line to Japan, since that's where it really sells. But I really do believe that a new model will be launched as resources allow.
I think there's better options, for a new new niche, if they're daring enough

Go with a radical departure, and use that Q-sensor in Pentax's First "Video Camera",.. Let me free-think and spin up the idea for a moment.

It's sensor is similar to 8mm film sized, has a resolution capable of a ''crop to UHD', add things like sensor shift and a decent add-on audio module, and you could have a bridge spec somewhere between Action Cameras and DSLRs, plus, with the existing lenses and lens adaptors, there's a massive range of options - an 'XL to Q' adaptor, or even better, 'B4 to Q' could turn that sort of size body in to the smallest. lightest 'ENG & Cinema' camera.

The current Q body should be a lighter load then a full DSLR body for a Drone, and a Video type body - say, looking like the Sony NEX-VG series - could fill a niche - bigger sensors then ENG, but smaller then M4/3 or APSc.
That would make then easier to focus for video, but still have shallow enough depth of field to match footage off larger sensor cameras.

Because the current sensor is smaller the the 2/3rds broadcast B4 mount cameras use, any Q could already be adapted to use ENG lenses.

For you guys doing Birding, imagine a properly Parfocal f1.8 zoom that goes from 8.6 to 172mm - and that's not even an exotic lens for ENG.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujinon-A20x8-6BRM-2-3-20-1-8-6-172mm-Internal-Focus-ENG-EFP-Lens-/222411837004?hash=item33c8c74e4c:g:lmMAAOSw-0xYUe6i

Some of the wide-angles for ENG go close to fish-eye, and the full tele zooms,.... Who wants to take photos of the ISS and watch the Dragon Modules docking ?

EDIT: Wholly Carp, I honestly didn't expect this to exist yet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B4-2-3-CANON-FUJINON-ENG-LENs-to-Pentax-Q-Q7-Q10-Q-S...sAAOSw-4BXY-YX

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 03-01-2017 at 10:55 PM.
03-02-2017, 04:45 AM   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Go with a radical departure, and use that Q-sensor in Pentax's First "Video Camera",.. Let me free-think and spin up the idea for a moment.

It's sensor is similar to 8mm film sized, has a resolution capable of a ''crop to UHD', add things like sensor shift and a decent add-on audio module, and you could have a bridge spec somewhere between Action Cameras and DSLRs, plus, with the existing lenses and lens adaptors, there's a massive range of options - an 'XL to Q' adaptor, or even better, 'B4 to Q' could turn that sort of size body in to the smallest. lightest 'ENG & Cinema' camera.

The current Q body should be a lighter load then a full DSLR body for a Drone, and a Video type body - say, looking like the Sony NEX-VG series - could fill a niche - bigger sensors then ENG, but smaller then M4/3 or APSc.
That would make then easier to focus for video, but still have shallow enough depth of field to match footage off larger sensor cameras.

Because the current sensor is smaller the the 2/3rds broadcast B4 mount cameras use, any Q could already be adapted to use ENG lenses.
I'm not normally all that interested in video, but even I find that idea appealing. Great ideas
03-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I think there's better options, for a new new niche, if they're daring enough

Neat idea but unfortunately that drone has already sailed.

Zenmuse X5S ? Micro Four Thirds Aerial Camera - DJI

For drones, I'd love to see a Theta with great IQ from a 1/1.7" or 1" sensor and 4k and higher video
03-06-2017, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

I don't think the Q needs a bigger sensor it just needs more features. With such a small sensor there's almost no excuse to not have 4k video which would be a huge boon. Make the thing WR with a set of WR re-released lenses and you've got the ultimate "take literally anywhere" small camera system.

To me the allure of the Q system isn't bleeding edge IQ, but good enough IQ with incredible convenience and flexibility.
03-08-2017, 02:55 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Neat idea but unfortunately that drone has already sailed.
Nope, completely different - that's M4/3rds, which means it looses the 1:1 ratio possible between the Q's sensor readout and 4K footage without needing any pixel binning or skipping or what not.
That has appeal to me, and should be able to do 4K without needing the FPGU to do a whole heap of processing - just trim the frame to the right resolution and write it to the SD Card.