Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I wasn't sure where to post it.
A quick check of the Forum Index:

Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com

08-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #17
Pentaxian

EVF has some issues too. Google 'EVF sunspots olympus'. Turns out that you can't let the sun catch the EVF, even indirectly, or it may get burnt and permanently damaged. Not a problem with optical VF.
08-11-2016, 06:26 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
kenspo has hinted something unexpected for Photomina, but of course he is muzzled after the 100Mp 645 debacle. No longer a Pentax Ambassador - just the distributor. asahi man says nothing FF planned at all, FWIW.
I have a system that can easily handle those file sizes. My wallet might not be able to handle the camera that produces them though.
08-11-2016, 06:33 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I have a system that can easily handle those file sizes. My wallet might not be able to handle the camera that produces them though.
I could buy the camera. I could buy the system.

But my wife would get them in the divorce.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-11-2016 at 08:00 AM.
08-11-2016, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
EVF has some issues too. Google 'EVF sunspots olympus'. Turns out that you can't let the sun catch the EVF, even indirectly, or it may get burnt and permanently damaged. Not a problem with optical VF.
Well, yes... I understand your overall point. That said, ideally one wouldn't leave their $1,000 camera baking in the sun with the magnifying optic in front of the EVF pointed towards the sun. Just as you wouldn't want to leave your "classic" cloth-shutter SLR camera with lens pointing at the sun unless you like a hole burned through it. There is an element of common sense in taking care of a persons camera equipment that needs to be taken into account in all of this.

---------- Post added 08-11-16 at 10:58 AM ----------

For the Pentax user that is only interested in AF lenses, there may not be much of an argument to convince such a person that they should be interested in a mirrorless/EVF K-mount. It is nice to see what your exposure is going to be, but most of us are comfortable with current metering and the large, decently bright OVFs that Pentax is using in its modern cameras. There are other pluses but with Pentax making such dog-gone good DSLRs, it can be hard to see what the point would be.

On the other hand... if you have drawers full of Takumars, K series, M series, A series, Zeiss glass and so on, mirrorless with a good EVF is the place to be. The EVFs have really gotten to the point where they are excellent to use. Are they a different experience than OVFs? Sure. But go in knowing what the strengths and weaknesses are of both and I don't think many would be disappointed. I bought the K-01 the month it came out and though it certainly has some shortcomings, it has been the DIGITAL Pentax camera I have owned the longest (I think the Spotmatic F will continue winning the overall race as I don't see the electronics in modern cameras lasting the same way...) And I am still (mostly) happily using it today.

And now as an owner of the K-1, which I've been looking forward to for many years, I am in no way wanting for anything. That said... if Pentax released an APS-C K-02 with an EVF, updated back screen that tilted in some fashion (maybe same design from the K-1?) and an updated AF system that allowed for smaller focus points (very much missing on the K-01.) And lets say they decided that mirrorless camera would be the one that made sense to put some proper video function in, just to please those Pentaxians who are looking for that... well, I think they might sell a few. And I imagine Pentax would be taking some more of my money too.

I think something of that sorts will happen eventually as it is where technology is moving the fastest. I'm not in favor of the DSLR going away... I think the two can live together in harmony.
08-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Yes, I am very familiar with that section.
I've even started a thread or two there.
However, although I didn't state it very well initially, my main interest was whether this was heralding a sea-change that would affect how Pentax approaches MILC.
08-11-2016, 08:39 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is all so disappointing, as if by the very release of K-1 Pentax signaled the shift to Mirrorless by CaNikon.

08-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #23
Banned

I don't know how reliable these guys are
Photokina 2016 Rumor « NEW CAMERA
but they seem rather certain that Canon and Nikon will each introduce a FF MILC at Photokina.

I guess the biggest question I have is whether they can do it right, considering their faltering attempts thus far.
I don't see Pentax or Ricoh coming with any new milc this Photokina.
08-11-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I don't see Pentax or Ricoh coming with any new milc this Photokina.
Still wishing for that "Super Q" here.
08-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Actually, the EVFs fail if you use any diopter setting over +0.6. No need to point it directly at the sun. Olympus have been quietly replacing them at no charge.
08-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

New MILC coming??
...No
08-12-2016, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

Further comments that I don't want buried in my previous reply:

Last night I was trying to use my K-30 + 50mm Super Takumar to take a picture of our black cat. I totally failed manually focusing using the OVF, so I switched to LV. At some point I muttered to myself, "This would be so much easier with an EVF". I don't know what Pentax's contract with Sony allows them to do with that sensor, but an MILC version of the K-70, what I've been mentally calling a K-70m (*), makes so much sense; the body would look like a K-70 minus the prism housing, so it wouldn't win any size awards, but an EVF would be a real advantage in high-ISO settings {several images have already been posted using the K-70 in dark settings that the photographer didn't really know what he was photographing until he could chimp the results}. If at least one of the Nikon and Canon new offerings has a built-in EVF, Pentax may need to have this K-70m ready to go.

(*) our first awareness of the K-70 came when Ricoh registered its WiFi with Korean authorities; I'm thinking that an MILC "variant" might be able to fall under the same registration
Seconded. An EVF even on the same form factor as the k3/k70 will be great for low light and my fast manual focus lenses. If wishes were horses ....
08-13-2016, 09:33 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramuk Quote
Seconded. An EVF even on the same form factor as the k3/k70 will be great for low light and my fast manual focus lenses.
To take that a step further... Because of the nature of MILC, they could simplify handling of "K" and "M" lenses {i.e., those before the KA-mount}. The mount could be designed to never open the lens to its widest aperture. Those lenses could work as an M42-mount lens does ... focusing, composing, and metering could be done stopped-down {EVF would give sufficient light and focus-peaking would simplify focusing}. This would provide a platform for using the older lenses in a more natural setting without having to worry about green-button metering.
08-13-2016, 01:54 PM   #29
Forum Member

To take that a step further... Because of the nature of MILC, they could simplify handling of "K" and "M" lenses {i.e., those before the KA-mount}. The mount could be designed to never open the lens to its widest aperture. Those lenses could work as an M42-mount lens does ... focusing, composing, and metering could be done stopped-down {EVF would give sufficient light and focus-peaking would simplify focusing}. This would provide a platform for using the older lenses in a more natural setting without having to worry about green-button metering.
Yes, yes, yes. Can't agree more. With this feature auto-iso would work on the M mode.

Cheers.
08-17-2016, 02:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I wonder why a Super-A design with K-mount but FF MILC shouldnt be possible. Pretty much like Olympus' OMD but FF. Ok, battery time probably wouldnt be too great, I guess, but just include a battery grip.