Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New MILC coming??

I don't know how reliable these guys are
Photokina 2016 Rumor « NEW CAMERA
but they seem rather certain that Canon and Nikon will each introduce a FF MILC at Photokina.

I guess the biggest question I have is whether they can do it right, considering their faltering attempts thus far.

08-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well theres delays for Nikon due to sensor shortages with what they've already announced, more chance of a Canon.
08-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
70-80mp Sony? Wow. And FF mirrorless from both Canon and Nikon. I wonder if Pentax has any plans for then.
08-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Posted in wrong section? Nothing about Pentax in that article.

I'd love to see a serious Pentax MILC.

08-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote

I wasn't sure where to post it.

There is an implicit question about Pentax in this article: If the speculations in this article are true, there where does it leave Pentax, as the largest brand with no serious current MILC effort?

People started taking desktop computing seriously when IBM entered the field; if Canon and Nikon were to release serious MILC products, then doubts about the future of MILC would lose a lot of steam.
08-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Oh I think Mirrorless is most definitely here to stay and will be the future for all cameras. Flapping mirrors have had their day, though they'll hang around a while yet. When the likes of Leica and now Hass'y jump into MILC market you can be certain it's quite serious.
08-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Further comments that I don't want buried in my previous reply:

Last night I was trying to use my K-30 + 50mm Super Takumar to take a picture of our black cat. I totally failed manually focusing using the OVF, so I switched to LV. At some point I muttered to myself, "This would be so much easier with an EVF". I don't know what Pentax's contract with Sony allows them to do with that sensor, but an MILC version of the K-70, what I've been mentally calling a K-70m (*), makes so much sense; the body would look like a K-70 minus the prism housing, so it wouldn't win any size awards, but an EVF would be a real advantage in high-ISO settings {several images have already been posted using the K-70 in dark settings that the photographer didn't really know what he was photographing until he could chimp the results}. If at least one of the Nikon and Canon new offerings has a built-in EVF, Pentax may need to have this K-70m ready to go.

(*) our first awareness of the K-70 came when Ricoh registered its WiFi with Korean authorities; I'm thinking that an MILC "variant" might be able to fall under the same registration

08-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Did you try peaking?
I know my K-50 was fine with my black cat, but I never used MF.
08-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
70-80mp Sony? Wow. And FF mirrorless from both Canon and Nikon. I wonder if Pentax has any plans for then.
kenspo has hinted something unexpected for Photomina, but of course he is muzzled after the 100Mp 645 debacle. No longer a Pentax Ambassador - just the distributor. asahi man says nothing FF planned at all, FWIW.
08-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did you try peaking?
I know my K-50 was fine with my black cat, but I never used MF.
Yes, but the point was that I've been an eye-level viewfinder guy for nearly fifty years now. I find an LCD awkward to use, and I didn't want to dig into my Q-7 kit for my Hoodman. Before I was willing to buy the Q-7, I had to convince myself that I could live with a Hoodman. I do get benefits from the Q-7, and I'm glad that I did buy it. There are even a few times I take a picture using Q-7 + Hoodman instead of using K-30. After my experiences with the Q-7, a K-mount MILC with an EVF would be more attractive to me than a comparable DSLR would be .... but I won't even consider a K-mount MILC which requires me to live as I live with the Q-7. {which is basically why I bought a K-30 instead of a K-01 when my Canon Rebel died and I had to decide "now" amongst K-mount options.
08-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #11

It would be nice to have a mirrorless camera with a view finder that took the K-mount lenses. I would be happy with 24 mega-pixels, especially if it had relatively low noise up to at least 6400 ISO. While I am wishing throw in wired tethering.
08-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Oh I think Mirrorless is most definitely here to stay and will be the future for all cameras. Flapping mirrors have had their day, though they'll hang around a while yet. When the likes of Leica and now Hass'y jump into MILC market you can be certain it's quite serious.
Leica have always been in the MILC market, even before it was a buzzword, every Leica M evermade is a Mirrorless camera... But it will be interesting to see what Canon/Nikon do reveal..
08-10-2016, 10:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
It would be nice to have a mirrorless camera with a view finder that took the K-mount lenses. I would be happy with 24 mega-pixels, especially if it had relatively low noise up to at least 6400 ISO. While I am wishing throw in wired tethering.
Yes, it is nice to have a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder that takes K-mount lenses. (Takumars work great too!) I am happy with the 24 MP, especially since I've found it has relatively low noise up to ISO 6400. I wish I'd picked up a used Sony A7 off eBay much sooner, instead of being deterred by the article that was posted on this site about it.
08-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Last year I bought an Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark II (jeez, what a name) with 12-40 lens and some stuff. I was very long looking into which system to buy. I am a fan of Pentax and I love the everlasting possibility of using any K-lens without headache. First, I was for looking at the K3II but was a bit repelled because I need some decent video capability (video on the Olympus is not a outstanding feature but good enough for me) and size & weight is some issue because my wife has to use the same camera. No FF yet... So, what did Pentax offer as alternative? Q-system looked nice, but, video so-so and no viefinder... K-01 the same. Some years ago I saw the K-01 and was wow, yes, and then, what? No viewfinder? Viewfinder is a must for me.

Why no mirror? Why not waiting for K-1? We were to travel and I could not wait for K-1. With K-1 on the horizon, K3II was not appealing to me. Still size of K-1, although fine for me, would be an issue for my wife. MILC could be the same size like K-01 and some sort of lightweight. I am aware of the weight of glass, BTW.

What's my point? Well, two grand would have gone to Pentax if they'd offered a sealed MILC K-mount camera with EVF. And I still would love to buy such a camera...
08-11-2016, 04:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwi110Auto Quote
Leica have always been in the MILC market, even before it was a buzzword, every Leica M evermade is a Mirrorless camera...
Yes of course, sorry I didn't mean to imply Leica were new to the MILC game.