Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2017, 07:34 AM   #1

2017 ILC mirrorless option from Pentax - FF or APSC

Mirrorless - Interchangable Lense Cameras: Looks like K-01 is no longer on Pentax website and GRII is fixed lens.

03-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Is it on the Pentax Japan website? (If it's only gone from the US/etc site, then that's not saying much in regards to being discontinued).
03-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

K-01 production run was done a couple of years ago - the Smurfs were the last of the line.
05-09-2017, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
K-01 production run was done a couple of years ago - the Smurfs were the last of the line.
Not exactly correct on production run, my White K-01 has a production date of 01-04-2017, with a shutter count of 171. They still have production capability. I was told they had to run production for repair parts. I may have the newest Production K-01 to date..LOL

Attached Images

05-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Or is it a ghost?
05-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Or is it a ghost?
Not a ghost. I got it back from Precision in February. Ricoh told me they had to run production again to make replacement parts. Had a main board failure. I've also sent them my other K-01 that bricked recently.
05-24-2017, 03:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GuitarGuru76 Quote
I may have the newest Production K-01 to date
You lucky sun of a b,....

05-24-2017, 01:19 PM   #8

FF K-02!!! (incl. EVF) just take the Sony A7RII or A7II sensor and AF-System and give it a bigger buffer. This time dont forget the weather-sealing!

Actually, i wouldnt buy it and i dont think it would make any sense until electronic shutter and AF is en par with Nikons new "1" Bodies, but its a funny idea.
06-08-2017, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

IFF they do another K-mount mirrorless, many would expect a shortened FFD variant of the mount.
But as that would require a complete new set of lenses, that would only match that line, I would doubt it happening.

Pentax classic film lenses make REALLY good budget Cinema Primes, and can handle being used in front of 1080p thru to DCI4K cameras, in M4/3, S35 (APSc) and FF.

For me, ideally, a Pentax equivalent to the Sony NEX-VG30 or NEX-VG900, would be a sight to behold.
A body like that, capable of doing raw stills (just like the Sony's), with the sensor from the KP, plus Sensor Shift for stabilization, recording HD and 4K at the same data rates as the GH5, would be, as they say, disruptive.

I know I say it a fair bit, but if Pentax could properly carry over the quality of the stills images in to the recorded video, and have a decent quality recordable HDMI output, they would really shock the market.

The K-01 changed the game, without it, Canon would never have done the EOS-M series, and the K-01 proved Mirrorless without an EVF was also acceptable to customers in large sensor formats.
Look at how many similar cameras Panasonic and Sony do now - the GX line from Panasonic, the a5000 thru a6500 from Sony - All Interchangeable lenses with no EVF, as is the EOS-M.

Of the major manufacturers, only Nikon doesn't have large sensor a Mirrorless range for their main lens series.

And only Pentax doesn't have a 'pure' video model.

(Though Nikons action cameras don't really count, if you've seen the video files, you'll know what I mean)

A K-02, 'Camcorder' shaped, with the latest sensor tech, proper SR in video, proper HDMI, recording 4K at 200mbits, focus peaking, stereo audio inputs with level display, WR sealed, and sold at a price between the K-3ii and the K-1, would challenge anything below US$5000.

Heck, the Muted profile is already pretty close to a cinema 'flat' profile. If I could record that on my Shogun,....
08-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

IFF they do another K-mount mirrorless, many would expect a shortened FFD variant of the mount.
But as that would require a complete new set of lenses, that would only match that line, I would doubt it happening.

Pentax classic film lenses make REALLY good budget Cinema Primes, and can handle being used in front of 1080p thru to DCI4K cameras, in M4/3, S35 (APSc) and FF.

For me, ideally, a Pentax equivalent to the Sony NEX-VG30 or NEX-VG900, would be a sight to behold.
A body like that, capable of doing raw stills (just like the Sony's), with the sensor from the KP, plus Sensor Shift for stabilization, recording HD and 4K at the same data rates as the GH5, would be, as they say, disruptive.
The sensor used in the K-70 is said to be exactly what is needed for an MILC. Modifying the K-70 to create a K-07 seems like an obvious way to move into the MILC world. I'm trying to save my pennies so I could purchase one {I've had my K-30 for only 27 months so far, and normally I expect a camera to last 48 months, but I'd be willing to make an exception in that case}, but there is no sign Pentax has any interest in doing that.

The K-01 changed the game, without it, Canon would never have done the EOS-M series, and the K-01 proved Mirrorless without an EVF was also acceptable to customers in large sensor formats.
Look at how many similar cameras Panasonic and Sony do now - the GX line from Panasonic, the a5000 thru a6500 from Sony - All Interchangeable lenses with no EVF, as is the EOS-M.
I disagree with the lesson you see here. Most people view both the K-01 and the EOS-M as having been failures outside Asia. As Canon evolved the "M" series they moved from no EVF to optional EVF to built-in EVF. These two cameras proved MILC needs EVF to be acceptable to non-Asian customers, no matter what size the sensor is.

added thought: Frankly, I don't expect to see any MILC anytime soon from Pentax. The brand's name comes from the Penta-prism used in (D)SLR cameras, and apparently that remains close to their hearts. They have limited resources for R&D, and I expect those funds to go towards marginal improvements in their DSLR lines.

Last edited by reh321; 08-12-2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added thought
08-26-2017, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

I think, Pentax can provide an adapter sits between body and "traditional" lens.
This tentative solution can be done as next generation of lenses will not depends in body motor to adjust aperture and AF.
Both motors will be part of lens.
Its body only sends signal to lens.

RTogog
09-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RTogog Quote
I think, Pentax can provide an adapter sits between body and "traditional" lens.
This tentative solution can be done as next generation of lenses will not depends in body motor to adjust aperture and AF.
Both motors will be part of lens.
Its body only sends signal to lens.

RTogog
I like that idea a 100%
10-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I disagree with the lesson you see here. Most people view both the K-01 and the EOS-M as having been failures outside Asia.
I'm in Australia,... I see Canon M's everywhere

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
These two cameras proved MILC needs EVF to be acceptable to non-Asian customers, no matter what size the sensor is.
Mmmmm,... maybe,... more for the stills-shooters, for us Cinematography types, the LCD is far more useful then an on-body EVF.
We tend to prefer an EVF to be a seperate unit, ideally placed where our eye will be when the camera is shoulder mounted with Matte Box, Focus Rig and handles.

QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
I like that idea a 100%
Seconded.
06-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camyum Quote
FF K-02!!! (incl. EVF) just take the Sony A7RII or A7II sensor and AF-System and give it a bigger buffer. This time dont forget the weather-sealing!

Actually, i wouldnt buy it and i dont think it would make any sense until electronic shutter and AF is en par with Nikons new "1" Bodies, but its a funny idea.
Give it an EVF on a par with current mirrorless camera’s from Sony, and I’d buy it in a heartbeat.
06-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Mmmmm,... maybe,... more for the stills-shooters, for us Cinematography types, the LCD is far more useful then an on-body EVF.
We tend to prefer an EVF to be a seperate unit, ideally placed where our eye will be when the camera is shoulder mounted with Matte Box, Focus Rig and handles.

Seconded.
I wonder how many people use K-01 for video