Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2017, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q7 and 300mm lens - amazing!

I know, I'm late to the Pentax Q club. Got my Q7 a few weeks ago.

Today I finally hooked up my Nikkor 300mm f/4 lens to it. Shot a pickup truck that was about 60 yards away.

Here's a 100% blow up of one of the truck's tires.

You know how when you buy a brand new tire, it sometimes has those tiny, pin-like pieces of rubber sticking out from the sidewall? Well, the truck tire that I photographed must have been fairly new because in the 100% blow up I can clearly see these little pin-like rubber projections from the side wall. WOW!

I can't wait for spring to come and the return of the migratory waterfowl. I expect to get some great closeups with this set up. Great thing is I'll be so far away I'll be able to capture lots of candid bird photos without disturbing them.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 12-23-2017 at 12:13 PM.
03-06-2017, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try a Q10 with 1000mm, pretty difficult to handhold!

Theres some stunning images shot with the DA 300mm.
03-06-2017, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Would
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It's even better for macro than for telephoto.
Would you say its easier to do macro with this than APSC or FF? The DOF is a real pain .
03-06-2017, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Try a Q10 with 1000mm, pretty difficult to handhold!
Most of the time I don't even try to hand-hold my Q-7 with 200mm; for one thing, keeping consistent aim from first framing to focusing to shooting is very hard {that's why I have a monopod}

03-06-2017, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have a monopod
Me too, but I left it at home that day....went and swapped to M135 which works great on Qs, had to move a bit closer though.
03-07-2017, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

What an image. Wow. Was it the FA macro or standard FA 1.4 or 1.7 lens?
03-09-2017, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Because of the crop factor, the DOF at an identical f-stop is much deeper for an equivalent framing , which does help things, and the subject distance is greater to boot. The spider image above was hand-held using an FA 50 on an adapter in natural light.
I was thinking the DOF would be a big help there. Do you bother doing macro with your K3 or K1 after using the Q?

03-10-2017, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Well, most macro I do is handheld with flash, and I don't have the Pentax K-Q shuttered adapter, so I'm stuck with 1/13 sync on the Q for the moment. I've actually been looking for a good deal on the adapter to see what it's capable of doing on such a rig. I'm shooting mostly K-1 but will bring the Q with me (usually with a Bolex Macro Switar or Kodak Ektar attached) with me when I want something pocketable for casual snaps or opportunistic macros. Because they are much smaller lenses, they don't give the DOF/distance advantages of the adapted K lenses, but they are very small and behave similarly to how the larger macros do on the SLR bodies.

I really like your images. Thank you for sharing. Thank you also for explaining some of how you do things. Yeah I've tried my hand at macro on the F100, DA 35 ltd, etc on the K1 and k3. I've tried extension tubes as well. Perhaps my technique is bad, but I recall getting more keepers with an old point and shoot because of the DOF . IT doesn't seem to matter even when I use F32. Perhaps I need to learn to focus stack, but with moving things thats nor really an option. Even berries in a breeze proves challenging.
05-20-2017, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I expect to get some great closeups with this set up.
Don't forget to try some night shots with it. You can expect to get images like this.

Here is a test shot of a blue surgical cotton towel I did a couple years ago to see 1:1 with the Q7.
While the subject matter is not particularly inspiring, it does show what you can get. This was
with a cheap generic Fotodiox K-Q adapter. I imagine that the image would be sharper with the
Pentax adapter and a diffused flash. DOF is pretty shallow!

The first image is of the Q7 full size image resized to 800x600 pixels. The second is a actual
pixel crop of the original image.

Blue cotton surgical towel with Q7 by Roger Knief

Surgical towel 1:1, Actual pixels by Roger Knief
08-12-2017, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Others are saying that the "Q" family was a mistake from the beginning, but I'm glad Pentax did make the Q-7, because I purchased mine specifically for this application. I'm using a 70-300mm Sigma K-mount lens on my Q-7 to provide the best birding kit I've ever had.