Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter

What's comparable to the q7 double zoom kit

I'm doing some research for a friend who has taken a liking to my Q10, and knowing him he's not a photographer but rather a dentist (the kind who specializes in the gums and does cosmetic work in that regards) who has some experience with a Nikon dslr (mainly just straight mouth shots) so the q7 seemed right up his alley for being compact, light weight, easy to use and good straight out of the camera jpegs. I mentioned the double zoom kit (02 and 06) would cover most the range he'd ever use plus the 01 prime would be a good pocket/low light lens to add if he wanted to.

He's was also curious to other comparable systems but the only one I have that I could compare it to feature/age/size wise us my olympus e-p3 + 17/2.8 kit which I haven't used in over a year (would sell that to him except its easily got over 36,000 shutter count and I don't have lens comparible to the 02/06)

Basically what I told him in regards to my ep3 versus say my q10:

E-p3 advantage over Q10:
Higher quality when zooming in 100% of the image especially at aperture stopped down past 5.6
Less limitations adapting manual focus lens.
Touchscreen
More selection of lens to choose from including other brands like Panasonic, etc.
Battery life slightly longer.

Disadvantages
Jpeg quality lower than Q10 in the sense of looking "good" to most consumers straight out of the camera (has higher quality raw files that has to be processed afterwards which he won't do)
Doesn't have as good a video capability
Heavier/larger (especially with the same kind of lens to match the 02 and 06)
Twice as expensive to get a similar setup be it the ep3 or the e-p5

I'm curious though, what Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax etc mirrorless setups would be comparible to a q7 with an 02 5-15\2.8-4 & 06 15-45/2.8? In regards to capabilities and (body) size. I imagine any comparable lens on micro-4/3 and up are going to be considerably larger.

03-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had both as well and disagree with a few of your assessments:

QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote

E-p3 advantage over Q10:
Less limitations adapting manual focus lens.
- This one is kind of a wash. While the E-P3 is nice in that it doesn't have the shutter/sync limitations when using adapted lenses that the Q models do, the Q can use a wider range of lenses (e.g. auto110, D mount, smaller frame C mounts, etc). Neither is great for adapting wide angle, and the availability of smaller formats for the Q actually make the range of equivalent wide options on both pretty comparable, with the Q options tending to be quite a bit more petite when paired with the body.

Disadvantages
Jpeg quality lower than Q10 in the sense of looking "good" to most consumers straight out of the camera (has higher quality raw files that has to be processed afterwards which he won't do)
- Completely disagree on this one. Oly has a much better jpeg engine than Pentax does, and it really shows when you compare the two cameras. Funnily enough, I tend to think that the Q7, despite the smaller sensor, benefits much more from coaxing good images out of RAWs than does the Oly.
Doesn't have as good a video capability
- Again, kind of a wash. The video capabilities on either aren't spectacular, with a little more in way of manual controls for the Q7 but in most cases, the Oly videos do tend to look better. The Oly doesn't have 30p Full HD, but does have 60i, which is pretty much equivalent and easily converted. Stabilization on both sucks for video.

Your points about the size, interface, and cost (unless he can find a good deal on a used e-p3 body/lens kit), are all sound.
03-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not sure why you disagree that the ep3 has less limitations with manual focus adapted lens. When the q series cannot fire the hot shoe when using them, flash sync is limited to 1/13 with the popup (1/200 on the ep3), and the ep3 has a mechanical shutter even with adapted lens cutting back on the electronic shutter limitations such as rolling shutters.
03-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

What kind of control does he want? The MX-1 or Olympus XV-2 is a very capable single lens camera. If interchangeable lens is required then I'm partial to the m43 GX-1. It is cheap, 16MP, a little larger than a q series body and has good controls unlike some of the bodies which rely too much on touch screens.

The ISO performance is about 2 stops better at least that's what I conclude from reading and using mine. Depth of field is about 2-3 stops shallower so shooting at f5.6 you get results not too dissimilar to a q7 shot at f2.8. (Assuming the ISO was cranked up two stops).

The GX-1 isn't current and is only cheap used. There is an electronic viewfinder (EVF) for it that I use and while it adds a little bulk it is light and can be added on when you need it rather than mounting it all the time.

To keep things small I'd stick to the f3.5-5.6 or f4-5.6 lenses. This is not going to gain any advantage over the Q series in terms of low light because these small lenses are slow. Small and Fast primes are available as are adapted lenses for low light use.

The q series crop factor makes for some serious advantages in birding and macro work - so finding out his intended use is important.

03-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
With him, the most he may do is program mode ie setting wb and iso manually but for the most part he lets the camera do the thinking.

He might do aperture priority just to lock the aperture wide-open.

Most of what he would do is portrait and group shots when traveling.
03-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

The only other similar system that comes to mind is the Nikon 1. Its size is similar, its 1" sensor has better IQ, but most of the lenses are a little slower and bigger and there is no fixed aperture equivalent for the 06. The 10-100 f/4.5-5.6 PD Zoom is a very cool lens but not as fast, much bigger, and really expensive. The 32mm f1.2 is for the Nikon 1 is very cool, that would be a great lens on the Q. The Nikon 1 system had some fans, but it wasn't as user-friendly, very expensive and was harder to adapt other lenses to it.

03-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh he may also do a bit of closeups of fountain pens, the focusing distance of the 02 I have seems to get close enough to show the section/nib of one of the pens in shot to give him an example.
03-20-2017, 12:36 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Two ways to travel light
by John Flores, on Flickr

The new GX850 is the successor to the GM1 and GM5. Panasonic has two collapsible zooms - 12-32 and 35-100 Vario which work well for typical vacation shots. The 12-32 is actually smaller than the 02 zoom because it collapses. The 35-100 collapses to the same size as the 06 zoom but is slightly bulkier. It is not constant aperture like the 06 but it does have optical stabilization. And the Panasonic cameras have much better video than the Q. But one place where the Q has the clear advantage is wide angle - there is no compact Micro Four-Thirds equivalent to 08 wide angle zoom. Olympus has some wide angle zooms that are pretty small though.

03-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good information on what's out there. He came to a decision, he's going with the Q7 double zoom kit, and then later will pick up an 01 standard prime on my recommendation, he doesn't do much that desires really wide shots, but if he does he'll pick up the 08, he's not too big a fan of the toy look, so he won't bother with the manual focus lens of the Q line. The two biggest decision factors seemed to be 1) Price and 2) compactness for what's being given. He also seems to like that the smaller sensor gives him a greater dof (i.e.: the "everything's in focus" aspect), since he said he won't be printing any larger than 4x6 (I mentioned the Q7 can do 8x10 just fine).

He's also not going to bother with video (Even though I bring it up, cuz well... you never think you're going to mess with video... until you do).
03-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Good information on what's out there. He came to a decision, he's going with the Q7 double zoom kit, and then later will pick up an 01 standard prime on my recommendation, he doesn't do much that desires really wide shots, but if he does he'll pick up the 08, he's not too big a fan of the toy look, so he won't bother with the manual focus lens of the Q line. The two biggest decision factors seemed to be 1) Price and 2) compactness for what's being given. He also seems to like that the smaller sensor gives him a greater dof (i.e.: the "everything's in focus" aspect), since he said he won't be printing any larger than 4x6 (I mentioned the Q7 can do 8x10 just fine).

He's also not going to bother with video (Even though I bring it up, cuz well... you never think you're going to mess with video... until you do).
I'm sure he will love it.
03-20-2017, 04:32 PM   #11
Site Supporter

By the way, that fisheye lens is anything but a toy. It's an excellent lens in the kit.
03-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Good decision... don't sell the 01 short. Once he gets it, I'll NOT be very surprised to learn the 01 becomes his main lens. It's very versatile with excellent IQ... Like the Q7, the 01 is NOT a toy by any definition.

Cheers... M
Yea I already mentioned to him, the 01 is pretty much my default lens to use on the Q10, would be more so if I had a Q7 as it would be closer to a real "normal" 40mm fov. There were just no kits already including the 01, so it was the recommendation I gave him as the first lens to pick up separately from a "kit".

I don't see him being a fisheye lover. I might, but I'd rather pick up a 06 before I grab the 03. When speaking of 'toys', I'm mainly talking bout the 04, 05, and 07. I mentioned his full kit (or mine in that case) could be 01+02+06+08, though I would probably throw in a 03 for me just cuz it's around 70 or less. I been eyeing a couple Q7s I just can't find a deal quite like I did with the Q10 (as I would only want the body).

He was hoping to get a Leica lens on something, cuz Leica are the sharpest... (his words lol, I said "you know that's mostly marketing unless you're talking about a very specific selection of lens, which probably cost more than you'd want to pay, and that 01 standard prime isn't a chump").
03-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter

He'll be more than happy with the 4 or 5 lenses you mentioned. In fact, I can safely fit my Q-S1 in that small Pentax Q bag with all the lenses AND two spare batteries. If I had to put any other camera system in that bag I would fit a body and possibly two lenses if I'm lucky. It's absolutely insane.
03-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
He'll be more than happy with the 4 or 5 lenses you mentioned. In fact, I can safely fit my Q-S1 in that small Pentax Q bag with all the lenses AND two spare batteries. If I had to put any other camera system in that bag I would fit a body and possibly two lenses if I'm lucky. It's absolutely insane.
That's part of the reason I'm enjoying the Q10, sure my E-m5 has a number of things that's superior especially the lens I have for it.

But I can't take my e-m5 even with just two lens with me in just my shoulder bag filled with my film SLR and bunch of film gear... but I can put my Q10, 2 batteries, and 2 lens for it into my film bag without removing anything from it to make room.
03-21-2017, 01:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now he just needs to find a reputable seller with a Q7 double zoom kit, or piecemeal it without going insane on price.