Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #1

Any more mirrorless in Pentax' future?

Just as title asks...is there any chance that Pentax will continue in the mirrorless game with something new?
I recently got an Olympus omd em10 ii, and I would love to see Pentax make something similar.
I've always been happy with Pentax cameras. Portability and ergonomics are some of Pentax' strong point, so I think they could really do well with a camera like that.

05-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nope.
05-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

We had the Q, aside from that, we had nothing from Ricoh something similar like "We are still studying the market..."

So nope. Enjoy shooting with your Olympus omd em10 ii.
05-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep.
Of course you need to define 'future'........................

05-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A fullframe takes 6 years to come alive, maybe in 6 years Pentax will have a mirrorless ^^
05-14-2017, 07:54 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

It would appear that they are still focused on lens design and manufacture for the K-1.

After that they should be looking at some new glass for their 645Z to compliment that great digital sensor and respond to some extent to the new Fuji medium format.

They are a small company and only have so many resources. I would dearly love to see some more lenses for the Q but, except for a macro that was once on the lens map, it doesn't look as if anything is imminent on the mirrorless front.

Of course, Pentax could certainly surprise us. They do that once in awhile.
05-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
I recently got an Olympus omd em10 ii, and I would love to see Pentax make something similar.
Pentax gave up on the 13x17mm format when they abandoned 110 film.

05-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
A fullframe takes 6 years to come alive, maybe in 6 years Pentax will have a mirrorless ^^
If Pentax still alive,maybe…
05-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
If Pentax still alive,maybe…
PentaxIsDooomed™
05-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think you may have answered your own question...
05-14-2017, 10:07 PM - 1 Like   #11

I've said a number of times in the past that I'd love it if Pentax joined Micro Four Thirds - I think it would be an awesome camera. It would be better designed than either Oly's or Panny's cameras, and it would have the advantage of a HUGE lens catalog right off the bat - no more complaining about the lack of third party lens options. but so many Pentax folks scoff at this idea - so much so that this is the last time I'll mention it... There's so much negativity in Pentax Land when mirrorless comes up, it's almost as bad as the Canon and Nikon bashing!
05-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

+1.....

Ricoh will announce a camera without a mirror very soon,P robably shoot 4K video too!
05-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
I've said a number of times in the past that I'd love it if Pentax joined Micro Four Thirds - I think it would be an awesome camera. It would be better designed than either Oly's or Panny's cameras, and it would have the advantage of a HUGE lens catalog right off the bat - no more complaining about the lack of third party lens options. but so many Pentax folks scoff at this idea - so much so that this is the last time I'll mention it... There's so much negativity in Pentax Land when mirrorless comes up, it's almost as bad as the Canon and Nikon bashing!
I think Pentax is going bigger (FF, MF) and not smaller (micro 3/4) and their success with FF and MF prove that their strategy works, they may go mirrorless but in a farrrr future ^^
05-15-2017, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I don't know. I a waiting for Pentax to make bicycles.
05-15-2017, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just as title asks...is there any chance that Pentax will continue in the mirrorless game with something new?
I've always been happy with Pentax cameras. Portability and ergonomics are some of Pentax' strong point, so I think they could really do well with a camera like that.
I have a OMD-EM10, great little camera and I love the EVF. I find now its hard for me to use my K5 OVF. I use my M lenses with a Roxsen focal reducer, its easier to use manual lenses on my Oly then my K5.
Just enjoy your pentax lenses on your Oly till Pentax join the club. I did think about Pentax with M43 but that would be a no go. I do miss the Pentax menu though.