Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2017, 07:28 AM   #1

turn off Live View when taning manual photos

I use my K-01 for stacking photos for insect photography. typical image

I do not need to use the "live view" between the manually exposed images. Is there a way to avoid the extra shutter opening that currently occurs to facilitate live view between exposures?

Thanks

BugEZ

06-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can turn the LCD off,.. press the INFO button twice and cycle over to the third setting - the box with the line through it.

It makes no difference to the camera though, the shutter is normally open all the time.

I'm at over 40,000 shots on one of my K-01's, and it still sounds exactly the same as it did when I bought it, and the same as my body with less then 4000 shots.
06-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. I'll give this a try.

I am also hoping that it may allow me to shorten the time between shots also. Currently my exposure duration is 1 second. I trigger the shutter with the IR remote. I find that if I do not wait long enough for the live view to activate the remote won't trigger the next exposure. The best I have been able to do is 1 exposure every 4 seconds. I was hoping for a higher rate.

During the summer when I take bug photos I gather 3-4 stacks, each with about 200 images each day... The image count piles up...

BugEZ
06-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BugEZ Quote
Thanks. I'll give this a try.

I am also hoping that it may allow me to shorten the time between shots also. Currently my exposure duration is 1 second. I trigger the shutter with the IR remote. I find that if I do not wait long enough for the live view to activate the remote won't trigger the next exposure. The best I have been able to do is 1 exposure every 4 seconds. I was hoping for a higher rate.

During the summer when I take bug photos I gather 3-4 stacks, each with about 200 images each day... The image count piles up...

BugEZ
The easy way to accelerate your exposures is to set a 3-shot bracket, with minimum exposure differences on the setting. I have found the between shot delay about the worst thing for the K-01

06-10-2017, 03:37 PM - 4 Likes   #5

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The easy way to accelerate your exposures is to set a 3-shot bracket, with minimum exposure differences on the setting.
An interesting idea. The exposure stacks are normally about 80-200 deep so a three shot bracket would not be of much use. And the exposure setting is "manual" for these so I am not sure how the camera would execute the bracket.

I tried turning off exposure noise reduction and that made no difference.

This is a typical image...
06-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #6

An interesting idea. The exposure stacks are normally about 80-200 deep so a three shot bracket would not be of much use. And the exposure setting is "manual" for these so I am not sure how the camera would execute the bracket.

I tried turning off exposure noise reduction and that made no difference.

Sweet!!
07-01-2017, 07:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think I speak for everyone when I say,... WHOLLEY FAQ !!!

07-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spectacular image! So sharp and clean.Tell us what other equipment was used?
Thanks for sharing
barondla
07-09-2017, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thanks barondla and PiDicus Rex for the kind comments.

I am a practitioner of image stacking, a technique for creating depth of field in high magnification photos. The technique is best described at the

Photomacrography.net web site here:

www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Tabletop "macro" setup

Charles Krebs was one of the early practitioners and the excellence of his images set the bar pretty high.

My own rig is not as clean as Charles, but it is functional. It is described here:

www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Upgrade to BugEX home rig

There is a "process" video I made and posted on YouTube here...

On this particular image (posted in the Pentax Forum above) I used my 10X Olympus microscope lens with a 200mm Pentax telephoto as a tube lens and the rig described in the links above. I would have used my K-5 and a 2 second exposure with LED lighting.

If you like this sort of thing, I would encourage you to visit the Photomacrography.net site and check out the images posted in the "technical and studio" forum. There are many absolutely spectacular images there. Also great suggestions on how to assemble a "rig" if you wish to give it a whirl.

Kind regards,

Keith Short
07-11-2017, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
You can turn the LCD off,.. press the INFO button twice and cycle over to the third setting - the box with the line through it.
Cool, didn't know it was on my Q too! Also would need to turn off immediate playback.
Need to check if it conserves power in timelapse.

Last edited by alliumnsk; 07-11-2017 at 04:16 AM.
08-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you are interested in macro and stacking, the Macro photograpy part of the PF (under Photography) offers quite a lot of info on equipment, use and a lot of pictures. Would be good to have some more Q pictures there!