Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Forum Member

Thinking about a Pentax mirrorless.....

Just curious, will my lenses from the Pentax K3 fit the mirrorless cameras?

I currently have a mirrorless Fuji X-T1, but Fuji's lack of available lenses leaves a lot to be desired even though it's a great camera.

11-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Any K-mount lenses (such as those that are compatible with the K3) will work with the K-01. They are not natively supported on any other mirrorless camera.
11-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can adapt the k lenses to a Q type camera but the Pentax adapter is expensive and the crop factor is extreme. This limits you to mostly telephoto type use in the Q and the native lens selection while very small is quite good making adapting a specialized thing.

As mentioned above the K-01 mirrorless works great with all k mount lenses and can adapt m42 lenses also. It's a capable camera but harder to find these days at a great price.
11-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your responses

11-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Whether a lens fits a camera depends on mount. Generally, each camera brand has its own mount (actually, more than one).
Pentax has Kmount for the DSLRs (APSC, FF; for example K-S1, K-70, K-1) and the only Kmount mirrorless camera is the K-01. I like it, I have been using it for years. But it is fairly old technology with some specifics. Modern mirrorless from Sony, Fuji, Oly seem to be much faster. The K-01 image quality is great, but its AF and bust rate are fairly slow. IF those things are important to you, then it might not be the camera for you.
Pentax also has Q series of cameras, which are much smaller and are Q mount. These are also mirrorless. They can take Kmount lenses with adapter.
Most small mirrorless cameras can use an adapter for various other brand lenses, but there might be limitations (for example, no AF at all).

Ultimately, I would recommend you get a K-S1. It is not expensive, it is a full DSLR, with a good viewfinder. Its mirrorless mode is probably the same as the K-01, but the K-S1 is newer technology. And the camera is still super compact, one of the smallest DSLRs ever made with that sensor size. You can check Pentax cameras here (user reviews and in depth forum reviews): https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-k-mount-dslrs-c1.html

Fuji has some great lenses btw, but they tend to cost a lot. But if you want the top notch Pentax lenses, they are not super cheap, either.
11-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

There are adapters to use your Pentax K mount lenses on your X-T1. But you will only be able to use them all manual with no autofocus, no aperture control via camera and no auto exposure modes. So it would be best to only use K mount lenses that have an aperture ring and a good, smooth focusing ring.

I find Fujis lens lineup quite good. They have some very good, highly appraised zooms and especially primes. What exactly are you missing from their lineup?
11-16-2017, 02:28 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by JonE Quote
Just curious, will my lenses from the Pentax K3 fit the mirrorless cameras?

I currently have a mirrorless Fuji X-T1, but Fuji's lack of available lenses leaves a lot to be desired even though it's a great camera.
I have a Fuji XPRO2 and all the lenses anyone could possible want. Their current lens roadmap is at X Mount Lens Roadmap | Fujifilm Global

11-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Fuji's lack of available lenses
What do they lack?...They are not lacking in price or quality....theres something to cover from 14 to 400(21-600) natively...then theres a world of lenses via an adapter.
11-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm fully aware of the lenses that Fuji has, not exactly the best wildlife lenses in the line up unless one wants to only use the 100-400mm XF 100‑400mm F/4.5‑5.6 R LM OIS WR sure one can get the 1.4 TC but I'm looking for longer focal range and like other companies that offer longer focal range in f/2.8 in the lens dept. Sure they also have the other primes, and other lenses. I'm not knocking the quality, it's darn great as far as resolution etc. Much like other mirrorless cameras they like Nikon and Canon can use the same lenses as the bigger DSLR cameras, I wondered if Pentax had the same set up, I guess not.

Last edited by JonE; 11-16-2017 at 07:52 PM.
11-16-2017, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm fully aware of the lenses that Fuji has, not exactly the best wildlife lenses in the line up unless one wants to only use the 100-400mm XF 100‑400mm F/4.5‑5.6 R LM OIS WR sure one can get the 1.4 TC but I'm looking for longer focal range in the lens dept. Sure they also have the other primes, and other lenses. I'm not knocking the quality, it's darn great as far as resolution etc. Much like other mirrorless cameras they like Nikon and Canon can use the same lenses as the bigger DSLR cameras, I wondered if Pentax had the same set up, I guess not.
The longest f/2.8 lens in current pentax line up is a 200mm. The 1.4x is also a crop converter - it does not fully cover full frame. The D FA 150-450 f/4.5-5.6 or the D FA 560 f/5.6 are the longest Zoom and Prime available from Pentax at this time. Check the lens review section for more info on Pentax selection - honestly however if you are looking for long f/2.8 lenses this is probably not the brand for you.

---------- Post added 11-16-17 at 10:40 PM ----------

I do have to revise my statement. If you want EXTREME telephoto then the Q series Mirrorless may be the ticket for you. you can put a 200mm f/2.8 lens on that 12mp camera and get an equivalent Field of view of roughly a 940mm lens with f/2.8 exposure capability. Granted the real iso performance is more limited than that lens would be on a Full Frame camera with a real 940mm f/2.8 - but it's also a lot lighter.
06-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I frequently use older long lenses such as the SMC 500/4.5 and the A 400/5.6 with and without the 1.4 L converter on Sony E Mount bodies. The A7R does a better job on the 500 than the K1. The ML cameras with focus magnification have revived a good bit of my old manual focus glass.
06-11-2018, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I frequently use older long lenses such as the SMC 500/4.5 and the A 400/5.6 with and without the 1.4 L converter on Sony E Mount bodies. The A7R does a better job on the 500 than the K1. The ML cameras with focus magnification have revived a good bit of my old manual focus glass.
I use older long lenses on my Pentax Q-7 with a Hoodman clone; it has all the usual MILC tools such as focus peaking and focus magnification - but AF on my Pentax K-30 still gives me more consistent and accurate focusing if the scene is within reach of my 55-300mm lens. Virtually always, I find that automation is faster and more accurate than manual.
06-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q is an incredible telephoto monster. It works best for stationary subjects. But it makes a great addition to larger format systems and their long lenses. Light and inexpensive also. Some of my best wildlife photos have been via Q and adapted lenses.
Thanks,
barondla
07-26-2018, 05:40 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've used a number of my old manual focus lenses on my A7RII with great success as well. Although I have a pretty good selection of Sony native and Sigma ART to pick from, those old lenses still impart a character that is truly unique.

This picture was taken with the A7RII and a Pentax SMCP-FA* 85mm f/1.4

Shawn
Attached Images

07-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have a K3 why cant you just use that camera?